The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gtx 760 Vs 770 Vs 780

noveltyhero

Hey guys,

I've been looking at getting a new graphics card as integrated is just terrible for gaming, my 660Ti died last month however I got a full refund for it from Amazon from some policies ^^

Now I am looking at the 700 series as it is pretty cheap, so which one guys?

I want to run BF4 on Ultra at 60fps, I've been eyeing the 770 due to the fact that the 780 is not worth the £120 extra but 760 seems slightly too weak for my requirements. Also would the 770 run with a 750w power supply? (Corsair, CX series)

I am interested to know what you guys think, should I push for the 780? (I do have the money, just feels wasteful)

The reason why I am holding off 760 is because whilst it is good for the money I would like to have a more powerful card, again I don't own one and I've watched enough benchmarks, personal opinions should be considered too.

Also which editions (I am looking at EVGA as Asus annoyed the living hell out of me with their incredibly bad customer support), I won't water cool but I will air cool with at least 3 fans in the case so I am looking for a great stock cooler too.

Thanks! :D

In my opinion you should either go 760 GTX or 780GTX.  the 770 is basically a 760 with more cuda cores unlocked and faster memory, whereas the 780 is in a different class itself.

I'm running two 780GTX cards in SLI and there's no game I can't play maxed/ultra at 1080p resolutions with them.

When I was running a single 780GTX I could play 75% of games maxed/ultra at 1080p smoothly.

Are you going to go single or double GPU?  Also, what resolution are you playing at?

Edited by sushidubya

770 should work with your PSU. Still, I advise asking an expert before making your purchase. 

Will consider :)

In my opinion you should either go 760 GTX or 780GTX.  the 770 is basically a 760 with more cuda cores unlocked, whereas the 780 is in a different class itself.

I'm running two 780GTX cards in SLI and there's no game I can't play maxed/ultra at 1080p resolutions with them.

When I was running a single 780GTX I could play 75% of games maxed/ultra at 1080p smoothly.

Are you going to go single or double GPU?  Also, what resolution are you playing at?

1080p but unlike most of other people I run AA at around 2x or something low like that with shadows pretty low too

Single GPU

Edited by noveltyhero

I myselft have a GTX 780 with EVGA cooler, and I had the same options that you but the kicker is the OC capabilities if you're an avid OCer go for the 780 no doubt, it can go all the way up to levels close to the 780Ti which is pretty beastly imo. The 760/770 have a better price/power in stock and it ultimately depends if you want to spend the extra money or not.

TL;DR: GTX780 if overclocking // GTX 770 if not overclocking // GTX 760 if not overclocking and would like to save a bit more money without much loss

If you're stuck in between the 760 and 770, the R9 280 probably is winner winner chicken dinner

but if you have a burning hate for AMD, I'd go a higher end 770 like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127747&cm_re=770-_-14-127-747-_-Product 

and 750w is fine

Looooool amd and give up physx?

760 Ti should be nice but I don't know if is OEM partner only

Something to consider OP is that DX12 for windows will run on current DX11 hardware.  The newer GPUs being released in the next 6-12 months (perhaps further) don't have any new ground breaking features that will change the face of gaming.  So going with a 780 may not be such a bad idea if you're looking to have more "future proofing" then again, if you find a 760 isn't meeting your expectations you can always SLI it and get 780GTX performance.  (SLI isn't 100% effective at boosting performance.)

Edited by sushidubya

I'd go with the 770, as that is what I went with. It's not that much more, and it's powerful enough. They also make a 4GB model, which seems to have helped me on other games that don't yet have the optimization.

In my opinion you should either go 760 GTX or 780GTX.  the 770 is basically a 760 with more cuda cores unlocked and faster memory, whereas the 780 is in a different class itself.

Actually it's a 690 (or 680?), so it's a pretty good deal for the power you're getting. As the 8 series is on the horizon, splurging for a 780 doesn't seem taht cost effective.

lol AMD is > Nvidia sub $300 easily

760 = $250

R9 280 = $210

R9 280 > 760

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-280-vs-GeForce-GTX-760

Id use 650 with physx instead of r9 290x, even if not on every game, warframe is one of the those that you need to prefer nvidia. Battlefield is another story though... I don't see why people want that game but bf4 is mantle so well r9 290 could be nice. But thats not all you give up, if especially the new nvidia tablet is off to a good start Edited by Cemges

I'd go with the 770, as that is what I went with. It's not that much more, and it's powerful enough. They also make a 4GB model, which seems to have helped me on other games that don't yet have the optimization.

Actually it's a 690 (or 680?), so it's a pretty good deal for the power you're getting. As the 8 series is on the horizon, splurging for a 780 doesn't seem taht cost effective.

Well it's not such a splurge.  They had a price reduction I got mine for about $400 a piece during the holidays last year.  At original MSRP of $650 it was highway robbery. lol.

Yeah perhaps you're right.  I think the 8 series is going to offer one step up in performance per price bracket.  (i.e. 780gtx performance for 770gtx price, etc.) So if the OP is patient they can wait and get a 760 for now.  I guess it's a matter of how demanding their favorite games are and at 1080p the 760 works quite well for most cases.

Thanks guys! ^^

I think I will settle for a 770 so I can also get an SSD and that should be fine, I am against SLI simply because lots of games seem to not use it very well if at all, so single GPU is better than dual in SLI (unless of course they are higher edition).

Sorry AMD fans, I will never settle for an AMD GPU, I've had one and its drivers used to drive me crazy, my friend has one and his drivers suck too. nVidia master race ^^