Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Oh, Gosh, So Much Un-Needed Menu Navigation. I Think I'm Going To Be Sick.

PaxEthenica

Can't tell if this is sarcasm or OP is just so angry he forgot this game was a work in progress

"wreck in progress" would be my choice of words. As far as I'm concerned, the game's been going downhill for many months now.

CgF6Wmh.jpg

Yeah they totally just decided to stop caring about 3/4ths of their playerbase #logic

That information is useless, because accounts don't get deleted. More useful would be the percentage growth of players per week, and the average hours played per week per player.

Wait, really? You thought our old menus were elegant?

Hahahahahahah okay

Efficient is the word I would use.

Edited by DoomFruit

Wait, really? You thought our old menus were elegant?

Hahahahahahah okay

At most 2 clicks to get to any feature you want?

Yeah, I'd say that is "elegant". Because it's simple and does what you want it to do when you tell it to.

None of this angled menu, camera shifting, badly scaled bull**** that is the current menu that forces you to literally walk to the menu you need (Immersion! That's how computers work, right? I have to walk to a different one whenever I want to use a different program, right?) or open a menu with a keyboard shortcut (Another completely unnecessary step added to something that's required to constantly do). And on top of that, every menu is divided further, so you now have to go back and forth constantly between the main menu and sub menu to do basic things.

The new UI is garbage. It's not garbage because it's unfinished, so the "beta" excuse won't cut it here (I know you like that one very much). It's garbage because it's fundamentally poorly designed.

----1----It's like picking through a train wreck, but the train was filled with orphans heading to Disney Land, and you're a first responder looking for survivors. Everywhere around you, bloody shreds of tiny bodies lie, but you HAVE to keep looking under every eyelid for a response. You don't want to, it's a tedious, repetitive process, it turns your stomach to think that the way it was before was so much better than it was now, but to get anything done you just have to do it. Even though it's eroding your soul.

----2----Why does it take three clicks to renew my extractor drones? Why do I have 4 friggin' different menus to manage my mods, and why does my BIG, FAT, STUPID WARFRAME obscure an entire column of them? Anyone who's looked over their collection (why they'd do that, I have no idea, it's a menu that doesn't need to exist) in Rhino knows what I'm talking about.*

Why does it take up to SIX DIFFERENT ACTIONS TO NAVIGATE THE SOLAR SYSTEM? Think I'm exagerating? Thinking, "no one is that stupid, not even Apple!" Let's count. One, you press a key to open the nav menu; two, you click on a planet; three, if the location is obscured by the BIG, FAT, STUPID PLANET you right click to turn the wheel; four, you click on the location; five, you click on the 'accept' button in the upper left of the screen. And if you don't want to wait, or have intentionally set your ping really low so you can reliably host, SIX, you click on 'play now.' It used to be a three-left-click from navigation to hacking things to pieces. Now I'm pressing keys and using both mouse buttons. Never mind that the navigation function itself is a clusterfrag of confusing icons, borderless white text on a light grey background (The PT Cruiser of menu design.), and a non-existent sense of direction.

Who thought it a good idea to have to walk across a little room just to change your loadout? Because you can't do it between missions anymore. You have to waste moments of your life and everyone else's time to swap out a weapon, or a warframe now. I mean, having the ship is nice and everything, but it should be an optional part of weapon and warframe modification. "But you can use the diagetic menu to change-" NO! Shut up. No, you can't. Not as of 14.0.8. The menu is useless for quick swaps, and it still TAKES MORE CLICKS THAN THE OLD WAY.

----3----In short, this post is a complaint about addition of frivolous window dressing that has added nothing to my experience, done at the cost of an all-important elegance. Fable 3 tried something even more clunky and intrusive than this, and it was a poorer game because of it. Warframe isn't as bad as Fable 3, as I JUST said, but it's still a damning indictment of the design decision to ape something that people knew didn't work, and then hoping it does work just because "it won't be as bad."

----4----As a personal aside I worry that I complain too much, but Warframe is a changing product, so I shouldn't shut up whenever something I don't like happens to the game. Because, maybe, I can actually change things for the better, for everyone.

-----5----*Or Hydroid. But no one, mostly, has Hydroid unless they schill out money like I did. Because of BIG, FAT, STUPID ANTI-CONSUMER BULLS#&$ that will be elucidated upon in another post. My tolerance for not calling out bullS#&$, if you ever check my post history, is quite low.

Well, if you want me to be specific about it fine. But the fact remains your main POINT in your post is about how the new menus are a "waste of time". 

1: A bad example that sounds like some random unnecessary poem, that does not further any point you have to make at all. 
2: Your big crying rant (the main POINT) about menus wasting your time. which is written out very immaturely 
3: Comparing warframe to another game while hinting about how its "clunky" or a waste of time to you. 
4: No developer would ever take a post like this seriously, It's written out far to immature and no real information was given on how you think a few things would do better it just sounds like a little kid not getting his way. 
5: I got hydroid without "shrilling out money" it's probably one of the easier frames to get honestly, not sure where you were going with that, if you do think you're "calling out bs" it's highly based on your own opinion of the system because the majority does not think like this about the new one. 

All in all with the small paragraphs aside that don't really contribute to a point, Yes the main point of the post stands as "the menus are wasting your time." You can think of it however you want but that is the reality. Honestly, besides the whole extractor thing where it does not redeploy automatically after collecting is the only real slow down of this UI, If using ESC to do everything you can't really notice a difference. My only pick with it is, sometimes the mods are hard to read near the small end of the grid.
Edited by ImortalTJones

Okay. This is going to be fun. I can smell meaty salt on your breath, boy.

1. The metaphor is valid, if overly dramatic. There is power in overstatement and hyperbole. Also, you've obviously never heard of the term 'hook.'
2. Mmmh-salt.
3. Comparing one video game to another video game that's done something similar is-well, it's such a valid thing to do that I'm surprised I have to explain it, but okay. When dealing with fools, one must explain their folly lest it consume them.
First of all, video games. Video games are iterative, we should hope, with ever increasing levels of quality; with every new batch of development studios looking to the past for ideas while daring to try something new. Ideas not necessarily for plot or IP, but ideas in terms of mechanics. Warframe is, mechanically speaking, a spectacularly unoriginal title. It borrows from so many other games that came before it that I would be here for hours typing them all out - there are that many 3rd person shooters, and a fair amount of games devoted to free movement. However! Iteration isn't, and shouldn't be nothing but a rose-colored lense. (That's another metaphor, by the way, and a cultural idiom, too. (If you didn't know.)) It is, and should be a way of avoiding the mistakes of the past.

It is a general consensus amongst a great many critics, game designers, and consumers that the clunky, time-consuming hub-menu system for Fable 3 was one of the biggest and most annoying drawbacks to the game. Granted, it was also critically panned for other reasons, but from a purely design perspective the hub (or in Warframe's case, the ship) was one of the most egregious. Further, Fable 3 is a AAA title of no small renown. Anyone who takes games seriously, IE: anyone who hopes to make a living off of the production and development of such, should have been aware of Fable 3 and extremely leery about expending limited resources to mimic one of its most damning mechanics.
4. It must be sooo savory.
5. You are the tool of the psychological war and you probably don't even know it. Victim and perpetrator; I'm too jaded by FTP games to feel sorry for people like you anymore. There is only one thing left in the husk that used to hold my optimism surrounding the business model: contempt.

You call me a child, yet I use common and (hopefully) humorous language structure to convey complicated and adult concepts. I bend grammar and abuse capitalization to emphasize and further order my narrative for people who don't want to be assaulted by great, bloody, boring walls of text. Without the reader even being truly aware of it sometimes. I am a @(*()$ wordsmith and a mother-@(*()$ manipulator! I write to be read!
You say that I don't offer a solution, when it isn't my job to do so! When it's no one's job to do so! I am not, you may be surprised to learn, a game designer. That doesn't make my critiques on what is and isn't good game design invalid, because I am a game consumer. Further! You say that I should shut it on a forum dedicated to giving consumer feedback. You say that I'm not contributing a point, while it is you who are failing to comprehend the point!

I am going to reiterate the point because I can't feasibly list all of your cognitive faults.
The point, dear moron, is that the current system of navigation, mod management, inventory management, and arsenal accessibility is so clunky and inelegant that it is annoying to use. If you want examples highlighting that statement, then I invite you to try and read my OP, again. The new UI fails at developer's stated goals of making the game better, of making team cohesion easier to manage, and of making the game more enjoyable to play. That it is taking away from my enjoyment from the game, needs to not only be addressed but also fixed. I do not care if you disagree, you are objectively wrong.
By the by, take note that I'm talking to you as an adult now, and my paragraph structure is still compact and to-the-point. Learn how to write before you critique, ignore the heat between your eyes, and pull your organ from your mouth because no one likes to watch you mentally masturbate.