Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Iron Skin, Debating If I Should Keep It

Abenoki

Question

So, lately I've just been getting kind of sick of Iron Skin. It doesnt scale at all beyond the mid level range, I've been doing ODS alot solo lately and it drops within 10 second beyond the 20min mark and thats with it just about maxed (one more rank on BR) 

Im considering getting rid of iron skin, maxing my sheild/health/shield recharge and building for Roar/Stomp. 

Thoughts?

Edited by Echoa

15 answers to this question

Maxing it out grants you an extra 400 armor hp from a one from the top, giving you a total of 1200 extra "HP." Iron skin scales with power strength, so adding a blind rage and focus can give you upwards of 2400+ extra armor hp. 

I personally love Iron skin for its ability to prevent knockdowns, stuns, Scorpion pulls, and toxic damage.

Are you investing in power strength such as maxed blind rage/intensify?

possibly, Im deciding If Im going to just look at maxing my shield recharge and leave stomp and Roar at defaults with stomp just being my CC button for doing revives and such.

Maxing it out grants you an extra 400 armor hp from a one from the top, giving you a total of 1200 extra "HP." Iron skin scales with power strength, so adding a blind rage and focus can give you upwards of 2400+ extra armor hp. 

I personally love Iron skin for its ability to prevent knockdowns, stuns, Scorpion pulls, and toxic damage.

I already have max intensity and blind rage is one from top

the 2400 extra HP is nothing later on it seems as it just goes away in seconds and I feel that maybe adding more DMG using roar so I can kill them quicker may be more beneficial

Edited by Echoa

The trick to using Iron Skin at later levels is to see it not as an all-powerful layer of impenetrable armor (e.g. a standard Ubercharge in TF2), but just an extra thin layer of shielding that'll absorb a bit of damage that you accidentally take (e.g. a temporary Overheal in TF2). Move around more, and try your best to take as little damage as possible. With a Vanguard helm, this shouldn't be too hard (especially with Rhino Prime, who will have the same walking speed as Loki-- meaning that you'll be able to avoid a huge amount of hitscan damage by simply walking erratically, and should be receiving virtually no damage if you're in a remotely laggy squad).

I can understand your shielding melting away during Void Survivals and such, but having the skin gone in ten seconds on ODS means that you're letting yourself get hit way too much. Hits from melee units should be sparse at worst. Move around more, use Dragon Kicks on anything that gets too close, get the hell away from Volatile Runners that are about to explode, the works. XD

EDIT:

Basically, playing Rhino in high levels is like playing the Heavy in TF2. If you get cocky about how tanky you are, then you will die very easily.

Edited by SortaRandom

...try not standing still.

That said, a Strength/Duration build for Roar is completely viable and unselfish.

Im not so dense as to stand still lol (im constantly telling other people not to)

I do alot off solo play so fire is pretty much all on me and iron skin I feel isnt cutting it

Ancient in particular in their buff each other swarm will easily take it out, I get grab, it gets taken down, and i get cluster F'd by ancients :| 

I feel like going for a quicker recovery time from falls and boosting dmg with a low energy roar would allow me to recover and kill them before they can me, not to mention it would benefit in team play when I do aswell

Edited by Echoa

I do alot off solo play so fire is pretty much all on me and iron skin I feel isnt cutting it

If you do a lot of solo then you should definitely have some iron skin, doesnt have to be maxed but at least enough to keep from being pulled, knocked down, not have to worry about laser doors, stay safe from auras/leaders, etc

I guess the real question is

Iron Skin vs Roar 

I like iron skins anti CC aspects, but I hatee that it doesnt scale well 

roar on the other hand doesnt have this issue and just gives you a flat stack of dmg increase which is beneficial for survival in it own right.

If you do a lot of solo then you should definitely have some iron skin, doesnt have to be maxed but at least enough to keep from being pulled, knocked down, not have to worry about laser doors, stay safe from auras/leaders, etc

meh, I guess Ill do some more testing with my IS build, thanks for the input guys

Im gonna keep it for now and try out some other stuff in ODS to increase my amount of time I can go solo

Im not so dense as to stand still lol (im constantly telling other people not to)

Ancient in particular in their buff each other swamp will easily take it out, I get grab, it gets taken down, and i get cluster F'd by ancients :| 

If you're solo'ing, some frames just can't survive in certain environments for that long. At higher levels, even Rhino needs teammates to keep himself alive.

If you want to drop Iron Skin, that's fine, but I don't believe there are any mods that give you the same kind of durability that you would replace it with- max Strength gives you 2.4k extra effective HP, something that other mods aren't really going to match. Some player prefer to drop off Iron Skin so they don't waste energy, but in my opinion it's not really the most effective option.

I guess the real question is

Iron Skin vs Roar 

I like iron skins anti CC aspects, but I hatee that it doesnt scale well 

roar on the other hand doesnt have this issue and just gives you a flat stack of dmg increase which is beneficial for survival in it own right.

Both is honestly the best solution, but if I had to pick, Iron Skin would probably be the better option in solo and Roar would be the better option... well, everywhere else. Roar is an amazing team buff, and my favorite ability among Rhino's skillset. It just isn't as effective as Iron Skin will be while solo'ing.

If you're solo'ing, some frames just can't survive in certain environments for that long. At higher levels, even Rhino needs teammates to keep himself alive.

If you want to drop Iron Skin, that's fine, but I don't believe there are any mods that give you the same kind of durability that you would replace it with- max Strength gives you 2.4k extra effective HP, something that other mods aren't really going to match. Some player prefer to drop off Iron Skin so they don't waste energy, but in my opinion it's not really the most effective option.

Both is honestly the best solution, but if I had to pick, Iron Skin would probably be the better option in solo and Roar would be the better option... well, everywhere else. Roar is an amazing team buff, and my favorite ability among Rhino's skillset. It just isn't as effective as Iron Skin will be while solo'ing.

good point

Ill try doing a Roar / IS for ODS solo and see how it works out

I have issues soloing to 1 hour in ODS but not Void, wanting to be able to do at least 1hr solo in ODS and trying to figure out how lol

I shoulda probably thought of that on my own lol

Edited by Echoa

Dont know how relevant this is to this topic - I did something strange. I put Energy Syphon on Rhino and got used to recasting Iron Skin on demand. Its much more team supportive ( everyone needs energy and personally I would be glad if more Rhinos would use ES ). I like it that way since I did it and it made loosing Iron Skin less of an issue.

P.S.: At 1 hour solo ODS you think Iron Skin is weak because you loose it after 10 seconds ? Most frames ( including Rhino without Iron Skin ) would die within seconds I assume.

Edited by AdFinitum

Dont know how relevant this is to this topic - I did something strange. I put Energy Syphon on Rhino and got used to recasting Iron Skin on demand. Its much more team supportive ( everyone needs energy and personally I would be glad if more Rhinos would use ES ). I like it that way since I did it and it made loosing Iron Skin less of an issue.

P.S.: At 1 hour solo ODS you think Iron Skin is weak because you loose it after 10 seconds ? Most frames ( including Rhino without Iron Skin ) would die within seconds I assume.

no it starts to go fast after the 20-25min mark lol 

longest I've been able to do is 30min so far and Im trying to figure ways to go longer

Edited by Echoa

Quick update

Iron Skin / Roar combo gives you a big boost in ODS solo

very helpful and thanks CaptainJohnson for the suggestion of both I didnt think of for some reason lol

Didnt hit the one hour mark yet but it helped with pegging ancients faster