Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Defense Map.& Infested

LordAsmolicious

The infested spawn way too slow on this new defense map layout. we have been in here for 20 minutes by now... only at wave 7. we could have been at wave 15 at the old rate.  Either the spawn spots are bugged out or the AI pathing has serious issues. (and its the one on Valefor not sure wich other infested missions use the outpost one. ) edit: to notify this isnt just annoying its quite frustrating walking around for 4+ minutes during a wave while NOTHING shows up at all. then come 4/5 enemies then its another 4 minute wait. its an Online  game with 3 other folks.

Edited by Marabunta5

It is probably to prevent the whole flood of Infected wailing in while you're busy fighting off the first half off the wave. Infected are supposed to compensate power by numbers. If there's too many numbers, there'll be problems with mission difficulty (unless AoE ultimates kick in, then it's just easy clearing out infected).

If the gaps are too big, i suppose it'll be fixed soon enough

The spawn rate is way too slow imo It takes like 30 minutes to get to wave 5 for Valefor with the new map layout Could be the pathing also because on the other map I see infected ontop of doors lol

Edited by Naosuko

Yea, this is terrible, I really hope it isn't working as intended, because defense missions after update 7 were my favorite part of the game by far. I also only have experience with New Valefor, but it was so bad I had to come here immediately to see if it I was the only one who felt this way. With the enemy spawn rate set to zero almost, I started having Shadow of the Colossus flashbacks.

Definately, A group I was in took about 15 minutes just to reach round 5.

I think this map is too complex for infested AI, I mean I found a healer up in that sniper tower on it, how was he supposed to get down?

They get caught up on a lot of stuff, and their spawn times need to be made faster.

I think this map is too complex for infested AI, I mean I found a healer up in that sniper tower on it, how was he supposed to get down?

I agree, I think that if there's going to be an infested defense, there should be one mission with an open map. If there's going to be a swarm, so be it. 

Do mobile defense missions have the same spawn rate?

I feel like mobile defense missions are also the same now as i just finished a mission and there wasn't a single mob that attacked the consel while i was defending with my team for 3 minutes

I totally agree with this post.  It was painful getting to wave 10.  I think the main issue is the spawn rate, and it is just exacerbated by the pathfinding for the infested.

I was able to go back to another mission, Callisto, which has the infested on a different map, and they were spawning just fine.

the new defense map that replaced kiliken/valefor is an abomination! old one was perfect, they could have just adjusted the spawn rates, if they wanted, although i felt it was fine.

god am i angry now. my fave map ruined.

Yes, spawn rate seems to be affected in these new areas, definitely not intended. I'm thinking that it's something to do with the spawning system not being able to find suitable spawn points when four players are running around the level. We'll get eyes on this as soon as we can. :)

Just thought Id add my 2 cents.  The new canyon defense map (like they changed Palus, Pluto) to is the least fun Ive had in this game yet.  

Not only was it completely lacking in fun, it was actively UNfun.  Whoever made that map clearly hasn't played Warframe before.  Waves take forever to spawn, and when they do spawn half the mobs get stuck so you get to run around looking for them.  When you do happen to kill anything you get to climb back up to the top again just to see if it dropped anything.

I'm loving Warframe and really have enjoyed it up to now, bugs/unfinished stuff/ etc. included.  This new map though is just ridiculously poorly thought out/executed.

Like everyone else said the new defense maps are horrible and completely take the fun out of playing this game and defense, ive tried it two different times and it always takes like 20-30 mins just to get to wave 5. By then no one wants to play anymore. The AI gets stuck on everything the the spawn times for the enemies are way too slow. I dont see what the problem was with the old defense map this one seemed to replace.

Edited by theclinton

+1

Increase spawning speed, reduce spawning intervals of mobs

Add some contingency when AI gets stuck or looped in animation somewhere.

I could stand at certain areas and the AI would circle around me not doing anything.

Edited by chuuburg

+1 to this.. Hope we can get 1) a better maplayout(or simply just revert back to the old ones) OR get a smarter AI that auto resets its location whenever it got stuck. This is just taking up alot of time on defense map.

edit : done the one in kiliken, barely any of the mobs is even whacking the coffin, most are like just stucked, or trying to approach us, 1mob by 1mob  likahero, which defeats the purpose of a defense map. exterminate mission does better job than that! heh!

Edited by Tsuruyaa

There are massive pathing issues on the maps. The spawn rates haven't changed at all as far as I can tell, it's just that 80% of the enemies get stuck for a while on the bridge. The few times the pathing does work, you'll be drowning in ancients, just as you always did.

That said, the map is just too big for this kind of thing. Literally everything is something you or the enemy can walk on, which would be nice in normal circumstances, but during a defense you want the enemies to bunch up so you can kill them with ults or other frame abilities. Us chasing them isn't really how a defense mission works. It kinda seems like a 10 player map that should have 3 times as many enemies.

I have tried the 2 new planet area defense maps.  Not exactly sparkling examples.

The bunched up small map seems to have all sorts of spawning issues.  The first time, they spawned decently but then on the third wave, one of the mobs spawned very far away behind at least 1 red door.  As far as I could guess, it probably spawned somewhere near where the other defense maps link to the spawn room, if that is even possible.

Then got one on the wide open 2 bridge map and by wave 2 realized that one or two snipers could defend until they fall asleep.  After a while I did notice that it would take a bit more then just 2 people to start going passed wave 20, but not much more.  Add a third person and you can go a lot longer.  We left at wave 20 because it was taking forever.

Then back to the bunched up map and the spawns didn't bug, but we waited probably between 30 seconds and a minute before the first wave was announced, and were waiting about 20 seconds in between batches of 3 or 4 enemies.

It seems like if the enemies spawn quickly, the spawning code that reduces the frequency of them spawning next to players ends up pushing them into incorrect spawns that prevent completion.  If they spawn slow, then it just takes forever to get anywhere and people wil be exiting at wave 5 just because they spent about an hour more then they wanted to on a defense mission.

As feedback goes, the two bridge map is beautiful and pretty nicely designed.  The trolleys are good bonuses for moving back and forth.  But the tight area bringing all other paths to one spot near the coffin ends up making it very easy to pick everything off early.  As well as many of the mobs seem to take their time arriving and will shoot from extremely long range rather than approach.

The smaller map just hasn't worked right yet so I can't make a proper statement about it more then the layout.  The layout is kind of nice, but just a bit too cluttered.  There doesn't seem to be much of a reason for why the coffin would end up in that spot.  Will there be an alternative defense object eventually that will look more like it could end up there?

Edited by JHarlequin

+1

My team and I spent 45 minutes to reach end of wave 10 and we're mostly bored, waiting for the next batch of 3-5 enemies to spawn so we can get something to do.

I dont think the pathfinding is that much of a problem, even tho i had my share of stuck ancients and smaller specimen runnin around in circles chasing their tails - no, the real problem is that there are just few enemies that spawn at the moment and there is usualy an 20-30 seconds delay until the next batch spawns. It kills all the action and suspense and we had people leaving half way through cause there was litterally nothing going on.

I hope they will fix this soon, since the open-end defense missions we're one of the best game mods they added and i just fail to see why it needed fixing.

I like the layout of those maps. I think the problem is more about the pathfinding and the fact that the mobs can't hit the coffin easily.

There's just too many things that blocks the view to let them attack it.

The layout could lead to some interesting battles (flanking, cornering, death from above, etc.)... if the enemy pathfinding would be good.

And why not add an enemy that would teleport the coffin somwhere else on the map ? So that would be harder to protect the coffin.

EDIT: and I agree with the fact that the pacing is way too slow. Maybe more spawning points ? From above for instance, or in locations really close to the coffin, or from teleportation gates that would appear on random places in the map.

And please. In a defense mission there's a thing called "wave". How could we call a wave a wave when there's as many enemies as players ? -___-

Please swarm us ! The mobile defense missions are good at that.

Edited by vieuxchat

the maps design is great, both of them. love it- especially the sniper tower in the corpus map. However- there's a lot of issues with ai getting trapped in corners or on buildings- the pace- as so many here have mentioned- is also unbearably slow. I'd prefer not to fault the maps- but the AI here for this.