Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Stances Should Apply To More Than One Type Of Weapon

Innocent_Flower

Have stance mods aplicable to more than one type of weapon. 

make the polarity of the stance mods more important, to encourage people to use the more specialized stances. 

Why?

It makes more sense. Where's the dividing line between what's a sword and whats a machete. Whats a stave and what's a polearm? What's a hammer and what's a battle axe. In real life, there's no clear cut line to what stance you can use for a weapon. 

Seriously, I've practiced many martial arts (most of them unarmed striking, but there were some weapons thrown in there.)  You can use a stave like it's a claymore. You can use a hammer like an axe. You can stab with a blunt weapon. You can hold daggers either way.  You can wear gloves and still kick. 

And look at the weapons in warframe! The Nami Solo is a sword yet it can't use sword stances. The bo is a polearm and yet it can't use orthos stances. Fang primes look more like swords than daggers, and yet the zorens fall under 'dual swords'. The current layout makes very little sense. 

But it's not just a sense thing. It'd actualy be better for new players, since they'd get more stances that affect a larger range of their arsenal. 

Yes you CAN do all those... that doesn't mean that that's the best way to use them. Use a katana like a normal sword and you'll end up with scraps.

Weapons have fighting styles to them because they are specialized in the way they are made, how you are supposed to hit someone, and what they can block. 

Edit: Tenno'd

Edited by immolator1001

While were at it, why don't we just throw our guns instead of shooting them? You know, because we CAN.

Just because something COULD be done, doesn't mean it should be. Weapons have specialized styles for a reason: it maximizes efficiency. 

If you're the martial artist you claim to be, this should be apparent.

He's not saying to be ridiculous and stupid and to start throwing our Bo's. He said stances should apply to more weapons, not EVERY stance should apply to EVERY weapons. And I agree. Why can't I use a machete like a sword? There's little difference in the two, it would just allow for greater variety.

You all exaggerated this way too much, and just made it seem overly stupid even though what the OP said made sense.

He's not saying to be ridiculous and stupid and to start throwing our Bo's. He said stances should apply to more weapons, not EVERY stance should apply to EVERY weapons. And I agree. Why can't I use a machete like a sword? There's little difference in the two, it would just allow for greater variety.

That depends on the type of sword created. 

Some swords are meant for stabbing. Some swords are meant for disarming other enemies' melee weapons. Some swords are meant for slashing. Just saying to make things clear. 

Yes I can use my Katana like it is a war hammer

No you can't... The way that a weapon can be used is determined by its point of balance, length, and a bunch of other factors.

The blade of the katana would have to be made out of a much heavier material to be used effectively as a war hammer, however, this is actually irrelevant, because it is off-topic...

OP was talking about weapons that are similar, not extremely different, hence, your argument is nothing but a strawman.

Edited by Hakitojin

I think everyone here is being a bit harsh; I think this is a great idea. However the reason they do things like this (make everything be locked behind a grind wall) is to get gameplay out of it.

They want to make it more difficult so the reward at the end of the tunnel feels more important.

They didn't do it because they couldn't, they did it because if you had a fav melee weapon then you need to grind that one mod to get = gameplay.

The problem I have with this is that grinding is not good gameplay but the questing system is redeeming that and it is a topic for another thread.

Another point is DE was short on time. They wanted to get it out because they had already pushed the due date back once (for melee 2.0 with U13). You guys think that they did it because certain weapons are better at slashing than others? Nope. They did it because they wanted to get the planned build out before the player's started to get angry.

Also, don't pretend for a second that a lot of these stances are realistic and would be as effective in a combat as they are portrayed in the game. Doing flips in the air with my orthos looks cool but aside from being impossible, it wouldn't do crazy damage. So if its "impractical" to use Crimson Dervish on my Dragon Nikana or my Shimmering Blight on my Bo then sue me. 

TL;DR

-There are specific stances to give "Gameplay" (grinding/farming)

-DE was short on time and wanted to get the planned build out.

-Stances aren't all realistic anyway. So we shouldn't argue the effectiveness of a slashing weapon when it stabs someone.

Sorry for the rant, please put your rebuttal below and have a nice day. :D

Edited by DeceptionBlade

Yes I can use my Katana like it is a war hammer but its efficiency would not be the same, in fact degraded by 95% due to how each weapon is crafted.

So no you cannot use every weapon like any other weapon, glaive like a hammer? Good luck

You know I think I did write something about polarities encouraging you to use the right stance. 

No you can't... The way that a weapon can be used is determined by its point of balance, length, and a bunch of other factors.

The blade of the katana would have to be made out of a much heavier material to be used effectively as a war hammer, however, this is actually irrelevant, because it is off-topic...

OP was talking about weapons that are similar, not extremely different, hence, your argument is nothing but a strawman.

Innocent_Flower, you get two things from this post.

1. This is one of the few times I generally agree with your OP.

2. Put something like the quote above in the OP. As far as I can tell, a lot of strawman is happening and doing this will be a step against it.

Edited by MageMeat

I think the idea that all stances should work for all weapons just wouldn't work, and even from a logistical standpoint, it would be too much work for DE to make variations of every weapon's animation for every stance.

What I think we need are more stances, as at the moment, theres only 2-3 stances per weapon-type, and normally with these stances, theres always 1 that is blatantly better then the other(s). We need more stances of equal footing to create more variation in what players end up using, based on preference. For example, in terms of one-handed Swords, its obvious that Crimson Dervish is the supreme stance. Iron Phoenix is fusion fodder at this point, whereas the Nikanas have Tranquil Cleave and Decisive Judgement, and the debate around which stance is the best is literally never-ending, which I love, we need more stances that come down to preference within weapons. Both the Nikana stances are equally powerful, its just a matter of preference to the user, which there needs just needs to be more of to create variety in what players run on their builds. Because quite frankly, I get bored of seeing Crimson Dervish Dakra Prime being used by every 2nd player I see in Warframe.

Edited by ArgonTheFox

I think the idea that all stances should work for all weapons just wouldn't work, and even from a logistical standpoint, it would be too much work for DE to make variations of every weapon's animation for every stance.

What are you talking about? You could totaly wield the jat in the same way you could wield the fangs. 

Grasping for what's not there, mate. I didn't say that. 

Innocent_Flower, you get two things from this post.

1. This is one of the few times I generally agree with your OP.

2. Put something like the quote above in the OP. As far as I can tell, a lot of strawman is happening and doing this will be a step against it.

They aren't straw men, they are pointing how how weapons are made for a certain style of fighting and how ridiculous it is to use them for a different one. The best example is the Katana which people hold up as the epitome of swords even though it has very limited use and easily breaks.

If you tried to use that like any other sword it would shatter.

There are also different blades, some meant for slashing, others meant for piercing, but the point is weapons have their own unique fighting style with little variation. 

You can use any weapon however you want. Well, you can't pretend the magistar is a rapier, but you can use the same stance for a variety of weapons. 

But If you were to consider  everything i wrote in the OP, you'd note that I did say polarities would become more important in choosing what goes where. 

Edited by Innocent_Flower

They aren't straw men, they are pointing how how weapons are made for a certain style of fighting and how ridiculous it is to use them for a different one. The best example is the Katana which people hold up as the epitome of swords even though it has very limited use and easily breaks.

If you tried to use that like any other sword it would shatter.

There are also different blades, some meant for slashing, others meant for piercing, but the point is weapons have their own unique fighting style with little variation. 

Too bad this is game with space ninjas so realism goes out the window.  I like this idea because it has options.  Why can't we use the normal swords with a machete stance, or the machete type weapons in the normal sword stance.  The Nami Solo really isn't all that different from the other swords and I don't see why it can't be used with the other sword stances, or why the other swords can't be used with the machete stance.

So long as things don't get too crazy, such as a hammer flying around with a glaive stance, then this could work out wonderfully.