Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Vram Memory Leak / Lag Spike In Dx9

VincentNacon

It seem to have a memory leak somewhere in the code.

The game would have a growing lag spike when played after a while. When you notice the lag spike, it get worst quickly to the point where I was almost killed, because the game is running on the server. The spike would almost happen every 3 or 5 seconds.

Can someone confirm on having this lag spike issue?

Spec:

Window 7 x64

AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE (3.2Ghz)

AMD HD7970 Ghz Edition (CCC 13.3 beta driver) (1.1 Ghz)

8GB DDR3 RAM (1.333Ghz)

Edit: Updated spec with more details.

Edited by VincentNacon

What do you mean by "lag"?

Is your game running slower (less FPS) or do you have network/latency issues (which lag refers to actually)?

People tend to mix up these two very different things. That's why I'm asking.

As of lately while playing single it runs fine at first. But randomly I will get random lag spikes to where I have 1fps, afterwards it crashes sometimes other times it will stop lagging and I can continue to play.

EDIT: (During my first total 21 hours of gameplay I never experienced this, started playing April 7th)

Windows 7 x64 (Home Premium)

AMD Phenom II X4 965

NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT

4GB ram

Edited by DHendo

As of lately while playing single it runs fine at first. But randomly I will get random lag spikes to where I have 1fps, then sometimes it crashes other times it will stop lagging and I can continue to play.

EDIT: (During my first total 21 hours of gameplay I never experienced this, started playing April 7th)

When it crashes are you given a popup window that allows you to submit the crash to us? Something like that can be very helpful for a situation like this. If you are unable to submit the crash then could you send us a copy of your EE.log immediately after the game has crashed?

Your EE.log can be found at the following location:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Warframe

Also, if you happen to find a folder called "Crashes" or "dumps" within the Warframe directory then can you send the contents of that folder to us as well?

Once you have all of the necessary information then please submit a ticket to http://support.warframe.com/

We will be sure to look into this as soon as possible.

Edited by DE_Dmitri

I'm suffering from exactly the same issue, after about 10 minutes of playing the game will have degenerated into a 5fps mess which continues to the menu screen until it is cancelled. The issue isn't one of lag, however, just massive frame-rate drop. This seems to occur independent of any arrangement of settings, whether online or solo, and regardless of which programs I have running in the background.

Windows 7 x64

Intel core i3

Nvidia GTX 460M, 1.5GB

4GB ram

Cheers.

i have a problem  when i log in the game it's says ( log in failed .. check your info )

what's mean of that 

anyone can help me for it

Dude, what's up with you? Isn't it obvious, that your question has nothing to do with the problems reported here? If the login fails, then exactly that is what happens - the login fails. Either you entered invalid credentials or the connection to the login server was lost / wasn't present. Try again later. Next time please create a own topic for each distinct problem.

As for the topic; I too am experiencing such frame rate drops, after playing for a while. It seems that the more effects are spammed the worse it gets. Also the amount of enemies seems to have an impact on it, even after they disappear. That wasn't the case before patch 7.7.3.

Windows 7 Pro 64bit (up to date)

AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE (3.4GHz OC)

NVIDIA Geforce GTX 570 1.2GB (OC), driver version 314.22

8GB DDR3 (at 1400MHz OC)

The game is running in 64bit and DX11 mode. Some things like Bloom, Color Correction, PhysX and Antialiasing are turned off (personal taste).

Edited by lokozar

Is this something that you have both experienced while playing in coop? How does the game perform when playing solo? 

That now you mentioned it, I don't think playing in coop or solo would had made the difference because the lag spike was still happening while I'm in lobby or even in character's menu screen.

I know there are different kind of lags but I'm pretty sure this one is a memory leak, somewhere in the code is processing a caches or some kind of buffer check is swallowing these overlapped memories in one go.   Thus getting worst as the more time passed.

As for FPS,  I normally have 60+ (FPS is locked at 60, could be performing well above 80 or more).    When these lag spike happens, it drop straight down to 1.

I will test it to see if it happens while playing solo.

Let us know if you need the DX dialog from us.

Just a note, I've noticed that it occurs much faster on maps with the Infested, and it does seem to degrade faster online. I'm going to assume this is due to there being more particle effects.

Edit: Tried reinstalling, but it had no effect.

Edited by Attley

Ok, just to confirm that even in Solo, these lag spikes happens. I avoided going on Coop/Online mode and only played Solo map once... which of course, I hung around a lot longer than a player normally would.  Finished the map, messed about in the character's menu, changing equipments,  fusing mods and what not, then started the second Solo map again. The Lag Spikes returned.

This is text-book memories leak.  :/

i'm also experiencing stuttering of sort..im pretty sure it's not my graphics card.... funny thing is i look at taks manager hardly any memory is cached everythign is still free...makes me wonder if the game is properly using memory at all.

Did anyone of you, who experienced these "lag-spikes", actually monitor your memory while playing, e.g. with some overlay interface or a second monitor etc?

Just calling it memory leak, because you think it is, isn't much of a proof for it.

Did anyone of you, who experienced these "lag-spikes", actually monitor your memory while playing, e.g. with some overlay interface or a second monitor etc?

Just calling it memory leak, because you think it is, isn't much of a proof for it.

I haven't been experiencing any lag-spikes at all, only framerate drop. I've been checking my performance: typically upon game start and for the first few minutes CPU is running at about 40% and RAM at about 55%. After ten minutes, and when the game starts becoming a slideshow, CPU is boosted to about 60% and RAM is up at about 90%. This is using a display window in Rainmeter to check, and with no other programs running.

Edited by Attley

I haven't been experiencing any lag-spikes at all, only framerate drop. I've been checking my performance: typically upon game start and for the first few minutes CPU is running at about 40% and RAM at about 55%. After ten minutes, and when the game starts becoming a slideshow, CPU is boosted to about 60% and RAM is up at about 90%. This is using a display window in Rainmeter to check, and with no other programs running.

Well, I read that you are using Win7 x64, with 4GB of physical memory. Windows 7 x64 can already eat up ~2GB depending on your configurations.

So 90% memory usage, after some time, seems about right for your setup, but a memory leak would end up eating all your ressources, which doesn't seem to be the case for you - does the game always crash at a certain point?

Well, I read that you are using Win7 x64, with 4GB of physical memory. Windows 7 x64 can already eat up ~2GB depending on your configurations.

So 90% memory usage, after some time, seems about right for your setup, but a memory leak would end up eating all your ressources, which doesn't seem to be the case for you - does the game always crash at a certain point?

It's bizarre that Warframe would be using 90% when games like Battlefield 3 eat only about 75%-80% (which is the rate I get for most other games too). And I've never run the game until it crashes, once it's reached a few frames per second it seems like a waste of time to keep going, as dying over and over is pretty inevitable and a waste of respawn points.

The symptoms all seem similar to other games that have had memory leak. Of course, it's quite possible it isn't, but it does feel very much like it. I can't think of many other issues that cause a progressive and inevitable drop in performance like this.

Edited by Attley

Bakaxy, it's hard to keep track of that lag spike when Resource Monitor can only refresh data every second instead of actual real time that could meet up with the lag spike.

Also he said after ten minutes, his game start to become slower. Problem is, he would have run out of memory soon as he loaded the game, into a match.   So he's getting memory leak as well.

You're right, calling it without a proof is hardly justify at that.  ....However, you gotta use common sense to tell the difference between network lag, videocard lag, and lag spikes.  Going from 60+ FPS to 1FPS in short burst moment?  It's no brainer.

Anyhow!  I got a progress news.   It seem DX11 was disabled at first and wouldn't let me turn it on soon I had this game installed.  For some reason, after few patches. I am able to turn DX11 on.  (This DX11 setting is accessable in Launch's Setting, click on the gear icon in top corner.) Once I've done that, lag spike hasn't returned for more than 4 hours... so far.

Try turning your DX11 on (if your videocards supports it) and see if lag spike would show up again.

Edited by VincentNacon

Bakaxy, it's hard to keep track of that lag spike when Resource Monitor can only refresh data every second instead of actual real time that could meet up with the lag spike.

Also he said after ten minutes, his game start to become slower. Problem is, he would have run out of memory soon as he loaded the game, into a match.   So he's getting memory leak as well.

You're right, calling it without a proof is hardly justify at that.  ....However, you gotta use common sense to tell the difference between network lag, videocard lag, and lag spikes.  Going from 60+ FPS to 1FPS in short burst moment?  It's no brainer.

Anyhow!  I got a progress news.   It seem DX11 was disabled at first and wouldn't let me turn it on soon I had this game installed.  For some reason, after few patches. I am able to turn DX11 on. Once I've done that, lag spike hasn't returned for more than 4 hours... so far.

Try turning your DX11 on (if your videocards supports it) and see if lag spike would show up again.

Actually, a memory leak isn't some spontaneous thing that comes and goes, it is a continuous process caused when something tries to get stored, but can't be accessed by the running code. This ends up in more and more memory getting used.

That's why you can usually monitor memory leaks and therefore I asked if someone actually tried to do it, because memory leaks can also get mixed up with other problems.

But problems with DX11 seem to happen more often, and a friend of mine had the exact same problem you described.

Maybe that's also the case for some others in the thread.

p.s.: @ Attley I can't really say why your laptop uses up more ressources for Warframe, than say BF2, but the game isn't very good optimized yet - uhm...I'm honest I can't really say what could be the problem with the given information, maybe I can come up with something else when I got some sleep. It's 6am here and I'm going to go to bed now ;)

Edited by bakaxy

I've had a similar issue. Not sure what causes it, don't really think it's a memory leak (since my system's not capping out on resource manager when I tab out to check once the lag starts) but after several missions, and it varies widely - it can take me a couple hours of casual mission running before it starts - but, inevitably, I enter a mission and my FPS drops from my usual steady rate at 30+ down to hanging around 5-15 FPS. Pretty much makes the game unplayable once it starts, and restarting the game usually fixes it for me. I haven't played with any of the other settings, so there may be a graphical issue that I could toggle off or something to fix it, but that seems odd that it'd wait several hours to appear if that's the case. Either way...

Specs:

CPU: Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz

GPU: SMB2030 - NVidia GeForce GTS 250, 1GB vRAM (ASUStek)

RAM: 3GB dual-channel DDR2 @333MHz

HDD: 2TB Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH164