Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Misleading In-Store Ad For Dendra Armour.

Dubblicious

Not trying to bog this thread down in a legal discussion, but that's not technically correct. EULA agreements have been legal (in the US at least) for a while now, and while some of the various forms of it are not protected, DE's is because you can read it before you download the software. Software law is a bit of a murky area right now, but as of 2014 where we stand is that when you agree to the EULA you agree to all the terms and conditions on it. It's essentially a liability waiver. If the laws are similar in Canada, then they can do whatever they want to their software without legal repercussions. 

Actually EULAs are not always legally binding. You can not just write what ever you want and if someone signs it or clicks ok, then it is the law. The law is the law in what ever country you are in. Europe for example, many EULAs that are accepted in the States would be thrown out of court in the EU since their consumer laws protect the consumer more than the corperations, like it does in the US.

Actually EULAs are not always legally binding. You can not just write what ever you want and if someone signs it or clicks ok, then it is the law. The law is the law in what ever country you are in. Europe for example, many EULAs that are accepted in the States would be thrown out of court in the EU since their consumer laws protect the consumer more than the corperations, like it does in the US.

EULA's aren't legal when they come after you've downloaded the software. It's like that everywhere. DE's EULA is available before download so it's protected. 

EULA's aren't legal when they come after you've downloaded the software. It's like that everywhere. DE's EULA is available before download so it's protected. 

DE EULA is most likley completely legit, but your blanket statment stating that EULAs are legaly binding is false. Many companies fill their EULAs with content that would not hold up in court.

DE EULA is most likley completely legit, but your blanket statment stating that EULAs are legaly binding is false. Many companies fill their EULAs with content that would not hold up in court.

Read closely. I didn't make a blanket statement.

and while some of the various forms of it are not protected, DE's is because you can read it before you download the software. 

Edit: anyways, this discussion isn't about the legality of EULAs in general. 

Edited by vaugahn

*sigh*

This thread again.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/28-open-beta-agreement-read-me/

Read number 4.

You have no entitlement to anything.

Yes, I agree that they should change the image, but that does not mean you deserve a refund.

Why are you waving the EULA in his face?  Getting nasty and defensive isn't a helpful attitude.  He is not threatening to sue DE for a refund, or anything else for crying out loud, there is no stipulation in the EULA that he isn't allowed to complain if he doesn't like his purchase.  I think the picture should be updated to better reflect what it actually looks like.  I also think that it would be nice if there was a trial mode where you could try weapons and other items, like a training course of sorts.  Other games have this feature and it avoids a lot of frustration.  I know this feature already exists somewhat for cosmetic items but it would be very helpful to those unsure about which to purchase, and it might even increase plat spending, so it should be a no brainer.

Read closely. I didn't make a blanket statement.

Edit: anyways, this discussion isn't about the legality of EULAs in general. 

Read it, understood what you meant, still think you are wrong, but you are right about the fact that discussion isn't about the legality of EULAs in general. It is about a misleading featured ad.

This is often true, the terms have to be legally recognized and permitted under the laws of the applicable jurisdiction.  For example, Apple's restriction on jailbreaking its devices was struck down the U.S. Copyright Office.  Also, certain terms are forbidden in certain states, this makes it a difficult mess to pursue someone who does violate the EULA badly enough to instigate legal action.  This makes it difficult to enforce the EULA against you, but you can't force DE to do anything.  Some of the more contentious terms might not hold up, but I doubt you could force DE to give you a refund.  I'm not claiming that they owe you anything, but it would be nice if they did us a favor by updating the picture eventually.

Right, you didn't even ask for a refund. you're drawing wild conclusions. go ask for a refund and then come back and talk crap LOL

First of all, I didn't ask for anything considering I didn't buy the armor. OP suggests that he contacted support, and they offered him no resoultion.

Why are you waving the EULA in his face?  Getting nasty and defensive isn't a helpful attitude.  He is not threatening to sue DE for a refund, or anything else for crying out loud, there is no stipulation in the EULA that he isn't allowed to complain if he doesn't like his purchase.  I think the picture should be updated to better reflect what it actually looks like.  I also think that it would be nice if there was a trial mode where you could try weapons and other items, like a training course of sorts.  Other games have this feature and it avoids a lot of frustration.  I know this feature already exists somewhat for cosmetic items but it would be very helpful to those unsure about which to purchase, and it might even increase plat spending, so it should be a no brainer.

Which is where the basis of my theory of just refunding his plat and an apology would be a good course of action..rather than support saying "go talk to the forums" where people will throw EULA's in his face, because we're obviously enlisted as arbiters for DE.

Edit: this S#&$ got buried..I'm now confident that esclations to support will meet the same demise given past experiences, and this thread as precident.

Edited by DirkDeadeye

Which is where the basis of my theory of just refunding his plat and an apology would be a good course of action..rather than support saying "go talk to the forums" where people will throw EULA's in his face, because we're obviously enlisted as arbiters for DE.

Edit: this S#&$ got buried..I'm now confident that esclations to support will meet the same demise given past experiences, and this thread as precident.

Glad to see I am not the only one that thinks they have buried this post so it goes away.

Exactly, just because you don't HAVE to do something doesn't mean you are not allowed to.  Instead of screaming "NO, NO NO!" and pointing to the EULA, suggest what would be the best solution, or suggest how we can avoid this problem in the future.  Case in point, Steam's policy clearly states "NO REFUNDS", but if you legitimately have an issue with a purchase, they will often give you a one time refund as a gesture of customer service.  They didn't give me one when I begged for a refund after buying Call of Duty: Ghosts (which I actually like now), but if there was a serious mistake or mix up on their end, or the developer's, they will almost always give refunds.

I think it is wrong that you moved this post, it has nothing to do with Art & Animation, it is about a misleading featured ad in the store , and it seems like you are burying this post.

Actually, I am far from being a DE white knight, but the move seems appropriate because it does have to do with the way the icon is drawn.  This is still unfortunate, however, because people may miss this thread and buy the armor without trying it on. 

give the white knights..spoke too soon got a reply as i'm typing this.

Give em about 15 minutes to charge in.

I hope they don't start shouting about the EULA again.  That gives DE certain rights and limits some of ours, but doesn't mean we can't question certain decisions or things that we believe are misleading or unfair.  Generally DE handles constructive criticism and feedback as gracefully as any other developer that I can think of, but there are a lot of wannabe moderators and white knights who try to impose their own rules on what discussion is acceptable, going beyond those that are actually imposed by the real moderators and staff.  During the DDOS, a person was criticizing DE's handling of the situation as unsatisfactory compared to other game developers, and said "#FreeSpeech" or something like that in his post.  That set off a flurry of angry replies stating that the OP should just shut up, since he has no free speech on these forums.  The white knights predictably turned up the flames until a mod had to lock the thread.

Actually, I am far from being a DE white knight, but the move seems appropriate because it does have to do with the way the icon is drawn.  This is still unfortunate, however, because people may miss this thread and buy the armor without trying it on. 

Nope , post is still about the ad being misleading.

*sigh*

This thread again.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/28-open-beta-agreement-read-me/

Read number 4.

You have no entitlement to anything.

Yes, I agree that they should change the image, but that does not mean you deserve a refund.

Hmmm.. read that agreement finally... very interesting choice of words there. The climate is changing I will say that. I just hope it is for the better.