Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Human Shield Concept (Concept Drawings Included)

Wo0dk1d

In my last thread I mentioned about the use of  "Meat Shield". I made suggestion that players can use enemy humanoid grunts from the grineer and corpus as human shields. I also drew a very rough brainstorming "doodle" of this concept in this thread.

Link to My Previous Thread

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/28316-meat-shields

Here is my concept.

Warframe_Enemy_Shield_on.jpg

To do this, the player must stun a humanoid enemy (Corpus Crewman or Grineer Grunts Only). While the enemy is stunned, the player runs up to the player and holds [uSE]. Then the player initiates the hold and is automatically switched to his side arm. In this state, players can shoot, zoom in, reload and move, and stamina will drain slowly. When the character moves with the enemy, he will always be facing forward (aiming at the cross hair/ facing direction of the camera).

While in this state, players can also sprint, but the cost of draining stamina faster. When he sprints, he will holster his weapon, pick the enemy up (like in the image above), and sprint in any direction. When the character sprints with the enemy, the character will face the direction of the [MOVEMENT] keys. The player can also jump while in this state.

Warframe_Enemy_Shield_on_2.jpg

Players can also throw their victims on to other enemies, causing the enemies to temporarily lose balance. To do this, the player must hold [sPRINT] + [MOVEMENT] and tap [MELEE]. Players can throw while they are sprinting too. Like Sprinting, the character will throw the enemy at the direction of the [MOVEMENT] keys. Throwing enemies will also cost extra stamina.

Players can execute the enemies, by either standing still or not sprinting and holding [MELEE]. The Devs can reuse the melee stealth kill animations for the execution animations. Executing will cost a little extra stamina.

If the enemy dies in the player's hands, then the enemy will just flop into a rag doll, and the gameplay is back to normal. If the stamina bar reaches bottom. The character will let go of the vicitim.

*Pros for having a Human Shield

-If shields are drained, then the player has the option to use the enemy as a human shield and back up to cover, or throw the victim towards his buddies and run to cover.

-Bypass annoying lasers.

*Cons of having a Human Shield

-Your back side is vulnerable, meaning enemies can still damage you if they are behind you unless you sprint towards them.

Edited by Wo0dk1d

This is actually really well done, though I don't necessarily agree that throwing the enemy is really a valid part of the idea. I would say it's more plausible to either just drop them aside if the enemies have killed him, or snap his neck upon release if he is still alive.

I can see this happening with the Corpus grunts, but I think the Grineer grunts are a tad big for this. Maybe instead of using them as meat shields you could just throw them towards other enemies?
I do like the idea though

interesting and neat ideas

and nice sketches btw

but thats terribly complex to implement

DE would have a LOT of animation work, and then there would have to be new mechanics for how much abuse the "shield" could take, as is right now the "shield" would only protect for a couple shots

and we already have the new and relatively under-utilized block mechanic which reduces damage from frontal assaults

so lemme say that i am NOT against this, but if DE ever wanted to implement it, it wont be happening anytime soon (first we need better bosses)

I am allready a fan of this, but maybe there could be a way to use infested to? Knifes are generally crap against infested but they do have that "armor ignore" function. Perhaps a spin on this would be the ability to jam a knife into the cerebral cortex and use them as shields aswell.
Though this would be pointless in 9/10 cases the off chance that you're on a map with 2 or more factions could give knife-users (or all) some tiny bonus.

I love the concept of that idea but as the game is now, it seems quite pointless. Just my opinion but, we have a block button and what good does it do against a swarm of enemy fire? Not to mention that if you play through the game for a good enough time(and optionally get a sentinel with enough mod upgrade) You'll have so much HP, armor and shields that it's practically useless to dodge anything(except heavy slams and boss attacks). I'd actually love to see it implemented as an option because it does sound pretty cool; but I think that they would have to change a few things around and make a couple of tweaks to the enemies to make a human shield seem a bit more necessary occasionally. Again, just my opinion.

I can see this happening with the Corpus grunts, but I think the Grineer grunts are a tad big for this. Maybe instead of using them as meat shields you could just throw them towards other enemies?

I do like the idea though

Grineer_Meat_Shield_Ex.jpg

The first brain storming sketches of the meat shield from the last thread i posted for grineer.

Edited by Wo0dk1d

I am allready a fan of this, but maybe there could be a way to use infested to? Knifes are generally crap against infested but they do have that "armor ignore" function. Perhaps a spin on this would be the ability to jam a knife into the cerebral cortex and use them as shields aswell.

Though this would be pointless in 9/10 cases the off chance that you're on a map with 2 or more factions could give knife-users (or all) some tiny bonus.

Yea, but i forgot to mention that if an enemy melees you, then you will let go of your victim. So making infested as human shields will be very pointless, because all the zombies run at you and either melee you or blowup in your face (Runners).

Edited by Wo0dk1d