Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Infested Sniper

Nervara

'cause that worked so well in Mass Effect 2....

lol

We need to go further than that game. 

Why not have: 

1. Snipers that go full-auto. 

2. Snipers that shoot rockets. 

3. Snipers that shoot corrosive goo. 

4. Snipers that fire flak projectiles. 

And et cetera and et cetera.

I think you got the joke (I really hope you do, since this is meant to be one).

ive never played mass effect (any) so i have no idea what you are talking about =/

They had a burst sniper that fired three rounds called the M-29 Incisor. In theory it had better damage against shielded targets due to ratios that favored it, but in terms of killing power it was pretty @$$.

The biggest issue, really, was that the gun handled poorly. Even with the speed of the burst, if you were on Infiltrator w/ the dilation on scope, you could see that it actually did have acc problems.

You can also look at the Skullmasher from Borderlands.... Which also illustrated the problem of "the kick starts on the first bullet, causing you to need to aim for the collar bone, and hope the target is close enough for the majority of your burst to land in the head."

You'd basically have to make it recoilless in order for it to really be useable, but that tends to look and feel awkward/bad. Also requires you to do weird things with your accuracy system.

Edited by TheBlueJelly

I was a little surprised we didn't get a new sniper with the sniper and launcher update. I was thinking about what could make an interesting rifle. All we're missing now is a infested style sniper rifle. Either electric of toxin based projectiles would be fun to mod.

Yes. YES. PLEASE.

Actually, Renegade343, I think that the flak mechanic could be interesting on an infested sniper rifle as a secondary effect that would occur on landing a hit. Say that upon successfully hitting an enemy the bullet, or organic projectile, then expands into a cloud of shrapnel that spreads out in a cone behind the target.

So a (top-down view) shot using it would look like this:

/

(pew pew) -----------------------0<

\

Assume the '0' is the enemy and the slashes behind it correspond to the shrapnel spread. The (pew pew) corresponds to my childish need for sound effects when firing.

In this instance they could treat the secondary effect of the shrapnel cone the same as a shotgun spread in terms of programming it, with the sniped enemy serving as the point of origin for the effect. They could orient the direction of the spread cone based on the direction the projectile was traveling in at the point of impact.

It probably wouldn't be as simple as the above outline(^) to make the effect work correctly. I'm not a programmer. However a mechanic like this, or something similar, on future sniper rifles could potentially counteract some of the major problems the current batch of sniper rifles encounter with CC in general.

Considering the fact that the Quanta and Mutalist Quanta both have secondary fire modes with AoE and area control capabilities respectively, I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility for them to put out something similar.

Given that there was already some groundswell for a gas based infested sniper rifle in this thread, or something with similar AoE capabilities, it doesn't seem like the general idea of an AoE sniper rifle would be entirely unappealing to the community.

Or maybe this is a terrible idea and people will hate it...

Edited by Ion-Trail