Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Computer Engineering At University: How Hard Is It And What Prior Knowledge Do I Need?

Cemges

This year I am preparing for university exam and I am trying to decide between some of the more popular engineering fields, my dad thinks I should choose industrial engineering, where as i am close to electronics- electrics (thats the name of field) and mostly computer engineering. Do. I need skill in programming prior to that? And if so, how can I learn, say, programming in C if that is needed prior to that?

Also, how hard is it, the school and the job you do, what is specifics of it? I feel like I am not going to be happy with anything else at this point, but I doubt myself, I mean I don't have a prior skill in computers, but I want to have it.

And in case i successfully win a good university, I plan on doing a master degree in computer engineering, but also an MBA after the master in computers, maybe after working several years , maybe directly, I have seen that likes of Tim Cook, Satya Nadella all have an MBA after either computer science or computer engineering. How useful would an MBA would be?

Edited by Cemges

Learn C++ (then again, C and C++ is similar, but C++ feels a bit more friendly and versatile from my experience of coding). That would be my advice to start learning programming (or Java. Take your pick, since once you know one coding language, it becomes easier to learn other coding languages). 

Learn C++ (then again, C and C++ is similar, but C++ feels a bit more friendly and versatile from my experience of coding). That would be my advice to start learning programming (or Java. Take your pick, since once you know one coding language, it becomes easier to learn other coding languages).

Well, to be more precise: Do I need to learn this prior to getting into university or will I be trained on this there?

I am an Construction engineer who also studied computer engineering. I can tell you that you should be prepaired for the worse, programming books are 600 pages and more, learn how to make summaries of that. I think my C++ book was 850 pages and I sumarized it in 30 pages (only things you actually need to program)

Well, to be more precise: Do I need to learn this prior to getting into university or will I be trained on this there?

you will be trained in this only the minimum, you need to expect every hour you do at school, need to be filled with 3 more at home

I don't think warframe forums are the place for this?

Uh...

Its off topic, you know, I thought, I ask many people, why not ask the community? You can find useful information and so many people everywhere

Also, one could be done in Computer Engineering is that you should be able to assemble your PC by yourself. I had my professors telling us to learn how to put all the necessary pieces together... after you take the entire CPU (as the casing side of the computer, not just the actual processor) apart.

Other than that, you should need to read ways how to create silicon chips from the ground up, from the most basic silicon crystals (how these are made) up to the point you construct the circuits (with each electric component requiring a lot of Math work).

Although, this is just my experience in college. Still, experience means good credibility. :3

Edited by Freelancer27

Uh well, that makes it sound difficult... Although I am confident if  I manage to win the university I want I will just as well be capable of doing this. Though the problem is, I will have no time to learn before june next year: School hasn't even started and I am taking exam preparation courses from 10 am - 7 pm 6 days a week, and in the year, it will be 8.30 to 4 pm school, 5 pm to 7.30 pm courses in week, 6 hours courses every weekend, with additional 3 hours of everyday being spared to studying myself :D Guess next summer gonna be a challenge, but whatever, I think I can manage somehow :D 

Thanks for all the replies 

Edited by Cemges

Cemges, go talk to your guidance counselor. It's their job to answer those kinds of questions.

Frankly, yes. Asking the Guidance counselor is probably the best solution for your academic requirements. As long as you stay in good credibility with the university, of course.

Yeah well I dont have a proper one: I live in Turkey so our education system might be a little different. If im not mistaken you assumed I had 2 year uni education bwfore selecting a subject: which is not a thing here, you choose it directly after finishing high school. You meant a university guidance counselor right? Either way I don't have a proper counselor, and while o accept how important of a problem that is, i dont have a solution for that