Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So....i Want To Build A Warframe, And I Need Your Advice.

-Krux-

I started with Excalibur, but I kinda wished I picked Loki now.

Since then, I bought Volt (which I love), but still want to try Loki..

Is it worth buying the blueprints? From what I understand, if i get a warframe's blueprints, i need to get blueprints to the parts of the blueprint... is that really worth it?? Or should i just straight buy Loki?

The mats aren't a big deal, I think it's more about finding the other blueprints..how hard is it to do that? Where would my best chances be? Is it worth the time?

It's not a matter of being worth it or not..

It's a matter of time..

Do you want to spend the time gathering the loki parts?

If yes, do so.. Save the platinium for other things..

If not, buy it from the shop and he will already come supercharged,.

Personally i find loki usefull, but not that fun..

Edited by whitehorus

You will most likely be farming neptunes boss (Hyena) for control modules so i say see how that goes and if you get all 3 BPs from him id just build him when you have the time.

It will take a while before you get the BPs and materials for him though so if you prefer just spending 75 plat on him go for it.

It's cheaper to straight up buy Loki and Excalibur, getting Volt's blueprints isn't a terrible thing since by the time you get to jupiter the boss there isn't horrendously hard. Loki you get from Neptune's boss, the Hyena. It's a pain by yourself if you don't have the setup for it (it's a corpus mission and boss so Volt makes thins easier) but it's not impossible by yourself. You can solo all the bosses apparently, with the right strategy.

Ash is a fairly easy one to obtain as well, same with Mag and Ember as they're on fairly low-level bosses.

Buying the blueprints is only worth it, I think, if you really want the warframe in particular.

Are you the type of person that will enjoy putting in the work to farm the parts or do you just want it now ? The risk of just buying it is you can buy your way into being bored pretty easy in this game. You don't have to work for anything really. If you're the type that will have more fun just playing it and farming bosses sounds lame then buy it and enjoy.

Neither is bad. It just depends on what you play the game for.

I havent bought a single warframe or weapon, the thing I have spent thoug is TIME. I have all the frames except Banshee which is missing the System BP that is bloody impossible to find. However I say it's not har at all to get the BPs for the frames. You can go online and find a team that will just roflstomp any boss to pieces in a few min.

If you can, just run Tolstoy a few times, sell the BP for cronus and buy a Braton or something to replace that horrible first weapon if you haven't done that allready. With a ok lvl Braton a little AP and +dam taking out the Hyena in a group shouldn't be that hard.

Spread out, be defencive, run for cover if it fires missiles, move around the shield. Also, if you get a tight team (irl friends or voice-ppl) try firing in "turns" to keep shield from regenerating. Hardly a problem but still helpfull.

Put up your shield to. Roll if you get fired upon, sometimes enemies "loose track" of you and switch target.

I'm all for farming for parts and materials to manufacture on general principle.

But the Loki, Volt and Excalibur are all spectacularly priced, imho.

yes, we can build them in game and in 90% of the warframe cases that's exactly the path I'm taking.

But at 75 Platinum for the Loki?

• * You get the Warframe itself (equivalency of a lot of time and no less than approx 100k in credit costs to manufacture and a minimum of 3.5 days manufacturing time, assuming unrushed at 25-35 plat a rush (x4 for the 3 parts and the suit itself).

* You get the Reactor pre-slotted (rare BP drop plus materials and manufacture cost OR 20 Platinum)

* You get an additional Warframe slot (worth 12 Platinum; no in game means to acquire this I'm aware of)

Hell, even the loki bundle is a very respectable combination for the price assuming you don't have any of the gear listed yet, though not as clearly a bargain as the Loki stand alone.

While I advocate making just about every Warframe in the game?  

The 3 of them @75 Plat a piece I think are inarguably worth every shiny Plat to acquire outright.  The slot and the Reactor alone are worth half the 75 Platinum.  

Just my 2 cents Krux9, by all means do whatever makes you happiest. :)  I myself have never regretted Plat buying the Volt and Loki past my starting Excal and Excal Prime (i upgraded after selecting the Excalibur on free play).

Edited by Drusus

Option C - Make another account and pick Loki. If you really like it, then decide how to get it on your main account. (Not saying you should, but it's a MUCH faster option I think than farming mats for blueprints. At around 50 hours played (pretty much all solo) I've completed ZERO other Warframes. I got Banshee blueprint as a drop, bought the Rhino and Trinity blueprints, got the Rhino helmet blueprint drop (seems like each Warframe needs 3 OTHER blueprint drops?!)

I'm not sure that Loki is really worth it though. I'm maxed at 30, no orokin thingy, but I rarely use powers. The base power of the decoy is really powerful early on, but now that I'm fighting enemies lv 20+ the decoy only lasts about 3 to 10 seconds due to taking too much damage. On a difficulty 5 mission it's effectively useless when there are more than 3 enemies. Invisibility? Well, that's great if you are nearly out of ammo and want to try and run through to the end goal. Never use it other than that. Teleport? Psh. Of my 50 played hours I've used it maybe three times, total. Disarm? Well, it took forever to even find it, and it's pretty good, but think about it for a minute. You have to run in to the middle of a group of enemies to use it. So first you have to survive running into the middle of them (most easily done invisible, but that takes a bunch more power), and then they are all ready to melee, right after you've gotten into the middle of them, so you have to run back out again.

Honestly reading some of the posts on powers here on the forums I don't know if more than maybe half a dozen powers total are actually worth using and truly effective. It seems like, right now at least, if powers were basically removed the game really wouldn't change all that much.

I'd say hold off on investing real world money, and maybe even in-game money, until they tweak things and get powers a bit more in favor with the player base.

Something else to consider though before spending real world money; do you agree with that model? I'm all for the developers getting money, I really am, but take a serious look at the prices. Think about how much you are paying PER item. Think about how, if you don't pay, you are looking at hours and hours and hours of "grinding" to get the parts. From what I can see, "casual players", those who only play a few hours a week, would take months and months to get just about anything. Is that something you really agree with and want to support? It's a fun game. I'm currently very addicted to it. But I strongly disagree with the amount of time required to gain anything. Having fun and specalizing things with mods should be the focus and motivation behind playing, not "I need to grind for 100 hours to get x".

Edited by rabb1t

I would have to agree that spending platinum on warframes is a waste. I farmed for Frost and Ash and i enjoy them greatly. Same goes with new weapons. What point is there to spending money on things you can get with a little effort? Plus if you only use your platinum on things like Orikin Reacters/ Catalysts and inventory spots, you can make the platinum go a long ways.

I'm not sure that Loki is really worth it though. I'm maxed at 30, no orokin thingy, but I rarely use powers. The base power of the decoy is really powerful early on, but now that I'm fighting enemies lv 20+ the decoy only lasts about 3 to 10 seconds due to taking too much damage. On a difficulty 5 mission it's effectively useless when there are more than 3 enemies. Invisibility? Well, that's great if you are nearly out of ammo and want to try and run through to the end goal. Never use it other than that. Teleport? Psh. Of my 50 played hours I've used it maybe three times, total. Disarm? Well, it took forever to even find it, and it's pretty good, but think about it for a minute. You have to run in to the middle of a group of enemies to use it. So first you have to survive running into the middle of them (most easily done invisible, but that takes a bunch more power), and then they are all ready to melee, right after you've gotten into the middle of them, so you have to run back out again.

Your Option C is a worthwhile point actually Rabbit.  I always forget that option and if it's just a 'try before you commit' idea, that's a really solid plan for the 3 starters.

However, 2 points I'd challenge in your assessment.

I think you are grossly underestimating invisibility as an ability.  It is a cost effective, universally useful offensive and defensive tool and coupled with the other options in Loki's well powered arsenal, indispensable.  It makes you completely impervious to damage for the most part (as nothing attacks you), allows you to evade dangerous situations or traps and control the fight immensely, both at range and for melee optimization.  

The other point is your point of view on the effort needed to acquire things.  If you don't want to acquire through game play and progression, you can always spend platinum.  That's a pretty fair trade in my opinion, and the fact we can get more things through play than we can through purchase (rare BPs, for instance) I think is a very strong point in the games arsenal.  I love the fact I have some things I can acquire easily and others that take me some directed effort and goal setting.

The second point is personal preferences of course, which I acknowledge.  But the Invisibility comment I really do think you are short selling or not considering it's excellent value.

Your Option C is a worthwhile point actually Rabbit.  I always forget that option and if it's just a 'try before you commit' idea, that's a really solid plan for the 3 starters.

Honestly I think you should be able to freely change between them AND have a couple of powers to test out before being 'forced' to stay in just one. It takes SO LONG to get another I really don't think it's a good way to keep new players interested.

The other point is your point of view on the effort needed to acquire things. If you don't want to acquire through game play and progression, you can always spend platinum. That's a pretty fair trade in my opinion, and the fact we can get more things through play than we can through purchase (rare BPs, for instance) I think is a very strong point in the games arsenal. I love the fact I have some things I can acquire easily and others that take me some directed effort and goal setting.

I'd be a lot more ok with the real world buy options if there were a couple of things.

- You can get a refund for something if you don't like it.

They can even limit it, say a 24 hour period. But if someone drops $5 on something, then they don't like it, that adds up quickly.

- Lower platinum costs.

Though it's not an awesome example, let's look at Mass Effect 3. Right now it's at about $20. Sure, you don't unlock everything right away, you have to build up monies and get stuff in random packs. Sure, I've played probalby a few hundred hours now and don't have everything (though it's been a while since I last played because my friends all stopped playing.) But even if you spent that $100 to get the highest Warframe platinum pack I still don't think you'd have everything. I have no problem with the devs making money. I just don't think it's a fair price who do pay, nor is it a fair time commitment for people who don't. Prices and the model seems like it's somewhat forcing your hand if you don't have elebentybillion hours to spend playing.