Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Play Style Using Different Warframes

jjpdn

What are you discussing here? Just frame skill or play style? Or everything else is better than Rhino discussion?

Play Style. 

Spamming one ability is not a style worth mentioning in my books. Please say how you use it, combinations you do with it, etc.

ie. like the Shield Flux Iron Skin combo.

But people are talking about about 'Rhino has 'multiple' styles'.  Which is true. But purely spamming Iron Skin is something... well... not worth mentionning, I think.

Edited by jjpdn

Play Style. 

Spamming one ability is not a style worth mentioning in my books. Please say how you use it, combinations you do with it, etc.

ie. like the Shield Flux Iron Skin combo.

But people are talking about about 'Rhino has 'multiple' styles'.  Which is true. But purely spamming Iron Skin is something... well... not worth mentionning, I think.

Then I must ask for your definition of play style. For me a play style is how you play this Warframe game with the given tools as a whole, such when using a Rhino I will use Iron Skin+Roar+OP Primary+Stomp for my 'Don't care n lay waste style'. If I want to exclusively use melee I can choose Rhino with Iron Skin for up close and personal style of fighting without the worry of taking damage, proc, and negative status effect. Or if I want to snipe head shots without dodging incoming fire I can choose Rhino for marksman style. Of course you can do most of this with with other frames to achieve the same play style. For instance I can use my Nekros and do the up close and personal melee style by using desecrate, terrify and energy restore to negate any negative that comes to being close let's say the Ancients 2.0.

Rhino is a tank. That is his primary purpose, so iron skin is definitely a legitimate strategy. Its like saying any power you can spam isn't a real technique. Having said that, here are my play styles:

Vauban:

I place the electric balls on players and use his bastille ability to protect me or an objective. Then I use Vortex for infested and kubrow dens. And of course bounce is used to troll other players. All pretty standard.

Hydroid:

I use his tentacle ability to protect objectives and his water ability to kill enemies while regaining shields.

Rhino:

I spam iron skin and use rhino stomp. But I really like doing melee so that is pretty important as a tank. He needs to be able to take a ton of damage. Especially since he is slower than the other frames.

Ash:

I use ash as a stealth and ninja character. He is mostly melee and agility focused.

Rhino is a tank. That is his primary purpose, so iron skin is definitely a legitimate strategy. Its like saying any power you can spam isn't a real technique.

OP said it isn't a strategy worth mentioning, and I agree with that notion. Most rhino players spam iron skin. We get it. No one goes into a thread on playstyles hoping to hear about the next guys 'cool' rhino iron skin spamming strategy. Using Iron Skin as a base for you to build off of is cool (like the guy with the stamina build). But using Iron Skin and then walking around shooting stuff and stomping isn't special. Just like the old blessing spamming builds and the Invisibility/Smoke Screen spamming builds aren't worth mentioning.

So far KingTaro has had the most unique playstyle (this is the first time I've heard of it).

I mainly use Ash and with him i'm the type of player who plays as if i were in a fast paced movie. Meaning wallrunning, dashing, sliding, jumping while shooting everything in sight with Dread from the air or the ground and teleporting to the closest enemy and finishing him off with melee while making myself feel like i'm actually playing a game revolving around "space ninjas"...you know...playing while making it look cool to not only play it but also to look at.

Edited by Shad0wWatcher

Then I must ask for your definition of play style. For me a play style is how you play this Warframe game with the given tools as a whole, such when using a Rhino I will use Iron Skin+Roar+OP Primary+Stomp for my 'Don't care n lay waste style'. If I want to exclusively use melee I can choose Rhino with Iron Skin for up close and personal style of fighting without the worry of taking damage, proc, and negative status effect. Or if I want to snipe head shots without dodging incoming fire I can choose Rhino for marksman style. Of course you can do most of this with with other frames to achieve the same play style. For instance I can use my Nekros and do the up close and personal melee style by using desecrate, terrify and energy restore to negate any negative that comes to being close let's say the Ancients 2.0.

Again, my argument is valid. 

For two of your styles, you described 'Iron Skin' as the primary ability and to just stand there, ignoring the AI of the enemies and just have some live target shooting. 

Now, for the first style that you spoke of, in you paragraph, that's a tiny bit more special. Roar for damage increase, Stomp for enemy stun and Iron Skin for surviving the time between Stomp uses.

(even if most people do that anyways, and is not anything special)

The styles I believe should be here are the ones that are really cool and new, like the Shield Flux Iron Skin combo that I never heard of.

Edited by jjpdn

At this point, only rhino/boltor loadout.

Everything else is either ineffective or going to get nerfed until it is.

Hm...

Or they are just nerfed so that they are harder to play and needs more skill, instead of been just like Rhino.

Using Rhino kind of dulls your other skills, which is not a very good thign if you want to use other Warframes.

Like, play Trinity right, and you've got true invincibility. 

Play Vauban right, and none of your enemies will be able to move.

Play Volt right, and stuns and safehouses will be everywhere.

Play Nyx right, and you've got an internal insurrection in the enemy ranks!

Edited by jjpdn

Hm...

Or they are just nerfed so that they are harder to play and needs more skill, instead of been just like Rhino.

Using Rhino kind of dulls your other skills, which is not a very good thign if you want to use other Warframes.

Like, play Trinity right, and you've got true invincibility. 

Play Vauban right, and none of your enemies will be able to move.

Play Volt right, and stuns and safehouses will be everywhere.

Play Nyx right, and you've got an internal insurrection in the enemy ranks!

I use to love playing nyx, but with absorb now, and choas sure to follow it to the nerf chopping block, the only frame i'm confident won't get nerfed is rhino, so he's the only one i feel comfortable using.

Volt (my favorite warframe): I use him mostly as a gunmage if that makes any sense. I primarily rely on my primary, pulling out the secondary when i get low on ammo, and the melee weapon when something gets to close. When faced with small groups ill shock them and go back to shooting. In big groups Ill overload and start cutting. Having a group stun on both abilities is just invaluable

Hydroid: I tend to play Hydriod as very melee oriented. His tidal rush is a great slash dash sort of ability that allows me to run through and clean up with my orthos prime. Hes also tough enough that he can get into a fight, kill everything, and come out of it still breathing. Plus tentacles, everyone loves tentacles

Ash: I play full stealth with my Ash. He sports a dread, kunai, and dragon nikana (built around channeling damage). I actually dont tend to use his stealth abilities to much because my dread/kunai kill stuff before they know Im there. When I do go melee my dragon nikana while channeling one shots almost everything.

Nekros: I play him a bit differently then I see most people play him. I use all of his abilities. Like my Volt hes kind of a gunmage. He brings CC with terror to revive people or get out of a tough spot. I can summon a huge army of shadows. Then on the occasions that I come face to face with something big like a heavy gunner ill soulpunch it to knock it down and finish it off with a few bullets. Oh and desecrate, yeah I use that too.

Nyx: Nyx is really the only frame I play as a pure caster. Chaos for massive groups. Absorb for when Im cornered or need to distract a big group. Mind control on big enemies like Heavy gunner eximus'. Oh and I dont use psychic bolts at all. I swear Ive tried but I can not find a use for that skill. I do do a fair bit of shooting and slashing but not nearly as much as other frames

Other. I also have frost prime, mag prime, rhino prime, mirage, Oberon, Vauban, trinity, and nova but I dont think I play any of them in a particularly interesting or unique way.

I use to love playing nyx, but with absorb now, and choas sure to follow it to the nerf chopping block, the only frame i'm confident won't get nerfed is rhino, so he's the only one i feel comfortable using.

I think DE meant Absorb as a sort of support/offfense skill.

1. It can regenerate your shields while under fire

2. Deals AoE damage that scales

3. Protects teammates that are getting revived.

4. Protects allies that are casting slow abilities.

5. Maybe even regenerate health! Imagine, full team with health regen... + absorb... oh YES.

Edited by jjpdn

I think DE meant Absorb as a sort of support/offfense skill.

1. It can regenerate your shields while under fire

2. Deals AoE damage that scales

3. Protects teammates that are getting revived.

4. Protects allies that are casting slow abilities.

5. Maybe even regenerate health! Imagine, full team with health regen... + absorb... oh YES.

>Deals AoE damage that scales

But it doesn't scale anymore, that's the problem.

Again, my argument is valid. 

For two of your styles, you described 'Iron Skin' as the primary ability and to just stand there, ignoring the AI of the enemies and just have some live target shooting. 

Now, for the first style that you spoke of, in you paragraph, that's a tiny bit more special. Roar for damage increase, Stomp for enemy stun and Iron Skin for surviving the time between Stomp uses.

(even if most people do that anyways, and is not anything special)

The styles I believe should be here are the ones that are really cool and new, like the Shield Flux Iron Skin combo that I never heard of.

Then let's agree to disagree then, but I don't discriminate between play styles since it's a subjective matter. Iron skin is a no brainer but so does the stuff that you mentioned in OP, they were supposed to be played like that.

Oh btw you can't spam iron skin and you can't 'literally' know when irons skin wear off unless you have an Iron Skin damage indicator that we don't have. An educated guess maybe.

OP said it isn't a strategy worth mentioning, and I agree with that notion. Most rhino players spam iron skin. We get it. No one goes into a thread on playstyles hoping to hear about the next guys 'cool' rhino iron skin spamming strategy. Using Iron Skin as a base for you to build off of is cool (like the guy with the stamina build). But using Iron Skin and then walking around shooting stuff and stomping isn't special. Just like the old blessing spamming builds and the Invisibility/Smoke Screen spamming builds aren't worth mentioning.

So far KingTaro has had the most unique playstyle (this is the first time I've heard of it).

Okay, I see what you mean. I agree that spamming iron skin (easy to do with flow and the right build) could be considered a non-strategy. As you said KingTaro has the most unique build. Especially since he is taking a weakness (at least for normal rhinos) and evens it out. 

Oh btw you can't spam iron skin and you can't 'literally' know when irons skin wear off unless you have an Iron Skin damage indicator that we don't have. 

Actually...

An educated guess maybe.

...never mind. 

Edited by jjpdn

>Deals AoE damage that scales

But it doesn't scale anymore, that's the problem.

It doesnt? What?

Maybe he meant the penalty that comes with absorb in U14.5. Taken from patch notes:

Nyx Changes:

• Nyx’s Absorb has had it’s passive energy drain significantly reduced from 10 energy per second to 4 energy per second, and instead now has an energy drain based on incoming damage. This drain is 8 energy per 1000 damage. These drainage values are affected with the use of mods.

I don't really play Nyx but I think this nerf was ... damn!

Edited by Dalawantahr

Maybe he meant the penalty that comes with absorb in U14.5. Taken from patch notes:

Nyx Changes:

• Nyx’s Absorb has had it’s passive energy drain significantly reduced from 10 energy per second to 4 energy per second, and instead now has an energy drain based on incoming damage. This drain is 8 energy per 1000 damage. These drainage values are affected with the use of mods.

I don't really play Nyx but I think this nerf was ... damn!

...so it exchanges 6 energy per second for 8 energy per 1000 damage?

That doesn't actually sound too bad... maybe even better.

Getting to 1000 (mid leveled enemies) takes me about 4 secs... which is 30 energy for original, while only 20 for the new one. 

I guess it only matters if youre going on T4 defense or survivals...

But if you are surrounded with Napalms and those other pesky things...

10 000 damage = 80 energy, which is quite many times better than most ult abilities.

Edited by jjpdn

...so it exchanges 6 energy per second for 8 energy per 1000 damage?

That doesn't actually sound too bad... maybe even better.

Getting to 1000 (mid leveled enemies) takes me about 4 secs... which is 30 energy for original, while only 20 for the new one. 

I guess it only matters if youre going on T4 defense or survivals...

But if you are surrounded with Napalms and those other pesky things...

10 000 damage = 80 energy, which is quite many times better than most ult abilities.

>I guess it only matters if youre going on T4 defense or survivals...

And it matters a lot when you're deep in a T4 mission. Nyx was nice because her abilites scaled well, now absorb's scaling is shot to hell in later missions.

Not to mention the fact that absorb is affected by friendly fire as well, so a few stray shots from your allies' gun will pop absorb like a pin to a balloon.
Edited by insaninater

>I guess it only matters if youre going on T4 defense or survivals...

And it matters a lot when you're deep in a T4 mission. Nyx was nice because her abilites scaled well, now absorb's scaling is shot to hell in later missions.

Not to mention the fact that absorb is affected by friendly fire as well, so a few stray shots from your allies' gun will pop absorb like a pin to a balloon.

So basically it doesn't work in infinite content? That's fine. Infinite content is poison. It's one of the biggest problems in this game right now. Balancing around it is almost impossible, and when they try to it skews the balance for normal content. 

Hopefully infinite scaling is removed entirely. The new excavation missions are a small step in the right direction. We need endgame type missions that don't revolve around enemies getting stronger forever.

So basically it doesn't work in infinite content? That's fine. Infinite content is poison. It's one of the biggest problems in this game right now. Balancing around it is almost impossible, and when they try to it skews the balance for normal content. 

Hopefully infinite scaling is removed entirely. The new excavation missions are a small step in the right direction. We need endgame type missions that don't revolve around enemies getting stronger forever.

It's just that Absorb's AoE is very small (compared to other)

I've gotten up to 10 000 damage, before releasing it, and only killing seven people, leaving 20 left who were surrounding me.

Plus, if you're looking at infinite scaling... Shield Polarize is what you should be staring at.

Edited by jjpdn

Removing scaling in infinite content is a step backwards. The very reason why people complain about damage abilities is because they don't scale. Why should we be removing scaling?