Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Weapon Holstering Idea (Major Clipping Reduction Idea) Holster 2.0?

Sebastianx

So, I assume not everyone in here likes their weapons going through their syandanas, melees going through primaries, secondaries entering the sides of your thighs and what not.

Short history: Now we all know that in order to enter the void we need a void key that opens a portal (much like in " Warframe - The Call" trailer)...so access to the void is not particularly hard.

You wonder what does that have to do with what I'm about to say? 

Well, Imagine we have a device on our hand, like a bling bling bracelet of sorts that incorporates a weaker version of a void key that would allow us to open a rather small void portal to somewhere.

Now comes the interesting part, what if instead of holding our primary and secondary on our bodies (melee will still need to be there due to quick melee function), we can open one of those void portals directly in front of us, stick our hands inside it, put our primary inside and grab our secondary, all in the short time as it would need to put the primary on your back and pull the secondary from your legs.

bsvWvZD.jpgThat's how it would look like (ignore the bad drawing and imagine a weapon in the hand)

Obviously there would be certain exceptions to certain situations, like with thrown weapons, you can stick your hands in the portal and pull the small pouches and stick them to your legs (for example).

Whenever you equip melee you open a portal and throw whatever weapon you have in your hand into the portal, and pull the melee from your back, that way your melee is on you, even tho you (in theory) have equipped both a primary and secondary, but they're in your own vortal (void portal).

Of course animations can be made to be pretty quick, but there's also place for much more fun approaches to it...for example you have your Ogris and want to pull out your Twin vipers...you press F to change weapons and your frame creates a vortal at their feet while throwing the Ogris at it, and with the other hand opens a vortal above the frame followed by the Vipers falling down from it and your frame stylishly grabbing them mid-air.

You may ask what are those red lines in the drawing, those are tethers that open the portal from the frame's device, so it appears more visually pleasing and at the same time makes sense how a portal moves in front of you or wherever when it's not attached to anything and while your sticking your hand in it.

The device can be in the warframe customization window like an option to (Use default holster - Use vortal holster).

So as I was saying, I'm pretty sure a lot of you hate the horrible clipping in the game sometimes (especially when a syandana clips with a melee that also clips with a primary)...but I feel this is a step in the right direction to removing it (for those who want of course, the others can still use the old system).

So please leave a comment and upvote if you liked it, and maybe who knows, DE might implement it.

EDIT:

And how much would this affect the time spent in switching weapons? A too quick animation would make it look extremely silly, and a long animation would just be annoying.

You clearly did not use the speed holster aura if you think this would look silly.

But anyway, the warframe just extends the hand in front with the current weapon in hand, the portal opens AS the arm extends and the frame automatically sticks the hand in (so that's around ~0.4 seconds there),after the weapon is inside the portal, the frame pulls out the hand with the other weapon already in the hand (that's another ~0.3 seconds)...so no, It can easily have the same speed as the default holstering while not looking silly, just imagine how long would it take you to extend your arm in front of you and pull it back in, that's about as long as it takes.

EDIT: Also on dual weapons, 2 side portals can open at once, so the warframe can have the primary weapon in his right/left hand, sticking it inside the portal while pulling out one of the dual weapons while the other hand pulls out the other twin weapon but on the opposite side of the frame.

Edited by Sebastianx

I imagine speeding up this vortal animation by speed holster aura would make it look somewhat comical. Then maybe they would hv to call it speed vortal or something.

Interesting concept as it might be, it doesnt sound too appeasing, or maybe it's just me being skeptical of how it will fit into the game lore-wise.

If it somehow gets implemented, though with low chances, if it doesn't affect gameplay practicality, i dont mind seeing this in-game.

And how much would this affect the time spent in switching weapons? A too quick animation would make it look extremely silly, and a long animation would just be annoying.

You clearly did not use the speed holster aura if you think this would look silly.

But anyway, the warframe just extends the hand in front with the current weapon in hand, the portal opens AS the arm extends and the frame automatically sticks the hand in (so that's around ~0.4 seconds there),after the weapon is inside the portal, the frame pulls out the hand with the other weapon already in the hand (that's another ~0.3 seconds)...so no, It can easily have the same speed as the default holstering while not looking silly, just imagine how long would it take you to extend your arm in front of you and pull it back in, that's about as long as it takes.

Edited by Sebastianx

I imagine speeding up this vortal animation by speed holster aura would make it look somewhat comical. Then maybe they would hv to call it speed vortal or something.

Interesting concept as it might be, it doesnt sound too appeasing, or maybe it's just me being skeptical of how it will fit into the game lore-wise.

If it somehow gets implemented, though with low chances, if it doesn't affect gameplay practicality, i dont mind seeing this in-game.

Should fit the lore just fine, I mean we can get a whole Liset inside the void but we can't open a small portal to at least store our weapons in some hidden void place for quick change?

This is too much like Borderlands Digistruct technology, which was their handwavery to deal with these sorts of issues and minimize their animation work.  Because Gearbox et al are all about cutting corners and not working on things.

For what Warframe offers, it needs to just tighten up and be more attentive about clipping.

Primary and Melee weapons clipping on the back is fairly forgivable, since there are a lot of weapons of various shapes, and a number of massive melee weapons.

Secondary weapons, though, are a lot less forgivable, and they've made a pile of Warframes with ornate thigh meshes that will never play nice with the sidearms.

And, of course, the ever present problem of the syandana.

Edited by (PS4)Hooligantuan

This is too much like Borderlands Digistruct technology, which was their handwavery to deal with these sorts of issues and minimize their animation work.  Because Gearbox et al are all about cutting corners and not working on things.

For what Warframe offers, it needs to just tighten up and be more attentive about clipping.

Primary and Melee weapons clipping on the back is fairly forgivable, since there are a lot of weapons of various shapes, and a number of massive melee weapons.

Secondary weapons, though, are a lot less forgivable, and they've made a pile of Warframes with ornate thigh meshes that will never play nice with the sidearms.

And, of course, the ever present problem of the syandana.

I'm all for it, as long as there's no clipping, anything goes, I just tried to come up with an idea to reduce clipping.