The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

An Actual Fix For Absorb

(PSN)MoriartyHaaaiii

The problem was never with the duration of the absorb, the energy cost, the amount of damage it did, etc.

The solution is not to revert it back to being duration based.

Its mechanics as a toggle ability are fluid, and should stay as such.

The recent changes simply took away its ability to scale, and gave other players the ability to grief.

Reverting the mechanics back to toggle with no dependance on damage is the correct choice BUT, remove the bubble.

The issue was the range of the bubble, and how it could almost indefinitely defend a cryopod.

Have nyx simply get in her pose, and glow with energy or something to indicate that the ability is active. Absorb now has a smaller radius (Nyx's body/hitbox), and that's it. Problem solved!

Less accurate enemies would obviously load up the absorb less, but at least it would function in such a way that it is flexible, powerful, and free from trolling and abuse. It's intended use was to give Nyx a powerful offensive skill that would give the already-fragile Nyx some survivability as well. This fix would maintain the intended use, but remove exploits and griefing/trolling.

Thoughts?

TL;DR Same Absorb from before 14.5, without the bubble.

Edited by (PS4)MoriartyHaaaiii

No, the problem very specifically, from my perspective, was that nyx could solo virtually any wave of defense she wanted to by pressing 4 once and waiting. Infinite scaling infinite damage with no draw back, as long as you have enough energy restores? Not really great.

Even without the bubble, it's still going to inflict insane damage to all enemies if left up for minutes at a time. Even without the bubble, it's still going to draw aggro away from the pod, making nyx a primary target.

Shrinking the bubble doesn't really solve anything. It woulds still be infinitely much damage for an extremely small amount of energy.

No, the problem very specifically, from my perspective, was that nyx could solo virtually any wave of defense she wanted to by pressing 4 once and waiting. Infinite scaling infinite damage with no draw back, as long as you have enough energy restores? Not really great.

Even without the bubble, it's still going to inflict insane damage to all enemies if left up for minutes at a time. Even without the bubble, it's still going to draw aggro away from the pod, making nyx a primary target.

Shrinking the bubble doesn't really solve anything. It woulds still be infinitely much damage for an extremely small amount of energy.

Increasing the drain rate a bit would be okay, in my opinion, however the aggro she draws is not nearly enough to protect a cryopod in even mid-levels.

The argument cannot, however, be made that nyx's absorb has ever been "too strong". You might as well just say that the enemies are too strong, because that is where the damage is coming from. Absorb is incredibly "weak" against level 1 enemies, and incredibly "strong" against level 60+ enemies, however it is equally effective against both, which made it the perfectly designed ability.

Scaling abilities are what most frames need, don't take a stance against one of the few abilities that did it well.

Edited by (PS4)MoriartyHaaaiii

Decent idea.^^

Though i liek my bubble, so maybe simply making it smaller instead of completely removing it, or making things inside the bubble take damage.

Because if you look closely, you can usually see the bullets that hit the bubble, fly towards the center - meaning everything inside it /should/ be hurt.

One could argue that Teammates should be able to take cover in it, but if at least Objects like the cryopod would still get damaged that would fix that issue too.

You could still put yourself in front of the object and defend it from one way, but the other angles will be left open to enemy fire.

Our constellations seem to have aligned, giving us power. +1

If there was a way to have the bubble still pull bullets towards her as they got into range, but make it so everything within the bubble wasn't protected if someone was shooting at you, it'd be perfect (assuming they reverted the current one before implementing this change).

Without the bubble, you aren't going to be able to survive a defense when bullets that have to cross the pod to hit Nyx now do damage to it, not to mention grenades.

At higher levels they can absolutely kill the pod within a minute of you doing nothing but sitting there doing yoga poses.

Decent idea.^^

Though i liek my bubble, so maybe simply making it smaller instead of completely removing it, or making things inside the bubble take damage.

Because if you look closely, you can usually see the bullets that hit the bubble, fly towards the center - meaning everything inside it /should/ be hurt.

One could argue that Teammates should be able to take cover in it, but if at least Objects like the cryopod would still get damaged that would fix that issue too.

You could still put yourself in front of the object and defend it from one way, but the other angles will be left open to enemy fire.

Yeah, i wouldn't mind getting rid of it if need be, but i would miss the defensive utility, being able to absorb over someone who was down so another teammate could revive em.

Yeah, i wouldn't mind getting rid of it if need be, but i would miss the defensive utility, being able to absorb over someone who was down so another teammate could revive em.

I would miss this utility as well, but It'd be a worthwhile sacrifice, in my opinion, if it meant that the ability was brought back to the mechanics that it should have.

I'm good for any fix that stops other players from draining 160 energy/second from me with a boltor prime.

For science I pulled a Penta on a friendly Nyx

They got forced out of their bubble in 3 grenades.

Funny, but stupid. I'm sure it wasn't fun for the Nyx, so this is not OK.

I think the better way will be to add Energy drain reduction.
Use Absorb cost 25 energy
from 0 to 9k damage it cost 100% it means 8 energy per 1k damage. For 9k damage total energy cost 97 +1 per seconds
from 9k to 18k damage it costs 75%, 6 energy per 1k damage, to 18k damage cost = 149 energy +1 per second
from 18k to 27k damage costs 50%, 4 energy per 1k damage, to 27k damage cost = 185 energy +1per ssecond
and the last one from 27k to 36k damage costs 25%, 2 energy per 1k damage, to 36k damage it costs = 203 energy +1per second
from 36k to 100k or even more it always cost 2 energy per 1k damage.

The longer you hold the more damage you can gain by lower energy cost. Less spamable Absorb, better is to hold it for a long time.

Edited by IfritKajiTora