Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Warframe Concept] Ares, Bombardier Extraordinaire

DarknightK

Ares – Bombardier Extraordinaire

Ares is a Warframe with extreme long range crowd control potential, with a healthy side supplement of raw damage. Ares is designed to function mostly anywhere in a team, whether its forward assault, or backup reinforcement.

Stats (level 30):

Health: 150 (350)

Shields: 150 (250)

Armor: 200

Energy: 100 (200)

Sprint Speed: 1.0

Appearances: Nikos (Helmet), Acropolis (Helmet), Assegai Mk. II (Exclusive Turret Syandana)

Abilities:

Steel Ordnance/Cover Fire (Energy: Toggle)(WIP name, any others are suggested)

Ares activates a shoulder mounted turret that prioritizes enemies in his blind spots (a full 180 degrees behind Ares).

Steel Ordnance is affected by: Power Strength and Power Duration Mods

Stats: Turret Damage/Turret Rate of Fire/Power Duration

Lv 0: 50/12 rps/13 seconds

Lv 1 100/20 rps/16 seconds

Lv 2 150/28 rps/20 seconds

Lv 3 250/35 rps/25 seconds

NOTE: Turret damage is split between Puncture, Impact, and Slash

Mortar Grenade (50 Energy)

Ares cocks his left gauntlet and fires a grenade that travels in an arc. Once above an enemy, the grenade will explode and rain down several mortar shells that have a chance to knockdown enemies. A unique aspect to this skill, is that the primary damage dealt is dependent on the primary element of the gun Ares is holding while using the skill. The primary damage is determined by the element that has the highest damage rating on the gun (in case there is more than one element).

Mortar Grenade is affected by Power Damage and Power Range mods

Stats: Mortar Damage/Mortar Range/Number of Secondary Shells/Knockdown Chance

NOTE: If the initial mortar shot travels without nearing an enemy, upon hitting a solid object it will detonate and release the secondary shells away from the object’s surface (which will then arc based on gravity).

NOTE 2: If Ares is holding a weapon with no element on it, Mortar Grenade will by default do explosive damage.

Danger Close (75 Energy)

Ares opens multiple compartments around his shoulders, abdomen, back, arms, and legs, revealing rocket pods. Ares fires dozens of homing projectiles into the air with a twist: they home onto Ares. The rockets will track Ares up until they are just (5m? 10m?) above Ares, at which point they will keep their current trajectory until they touch a surface.

Danger Close is affected by Power Damage mods

Stats: Rocket Damage/Number of Missiles/Ammo Drop Frequency After First Drop

NOTE: Rocket Damage is split 60% Explosion and 40% Fire

Shellshock (Energy: Toggle)

Ares plants himself firmly into the ground and extends some of his armor plating to resemble an armored turtle while simultaneously opening a large cannon from his backpack. Although immobile, the camera will now follow the artillery cannon as it rotates (360 degree of motion). Clicking the left mouse button will fire a single, high-powered round that will travel in a straight path mostly (dropoff range is noticeable at first, but decreases with mod fusion and becomes negligible if power range is maximized).

Right-clicking will charge up a fusion laser that can be controlled (with a slower rotation speed than normal). Note that charging the laser will drain energy more rapidly, but will deal more damage the longer it is charged. Once the fusion laser is fully charged (visual FX), players are advised to fire it, as additional energy will simply be wasted if the user continues to charge. After firing the laser, the cannon will become red-hot, and will overheat for a few seconds.

After using the left-click (cannon) attack, a shell casing will be ejected, and a sound cue and visual cue will show the reloading process. This reload can be shortened (along with the laser cooldown) via the use of Natural Talent.

Shellshock is affected by Power Damage, Power Range, and more noticeably Natural Talent.

Stats: Cannon Damage/Laser Damage/Dropoff Range/Bonus Armor

Last Note: IF anyone would like to create concept art for Ares, please feel free to do so. I do not have access to a tablet nor awesomesauce sketching software, and my scanner is quite poopy to say the least. I will try to post some references to what I am imagining him as, but for now, this is all I have.

EDIT [10/12/14]:

I'm adding a few new powers, none of them are specific, just random ideas I have to fit with Ares' theme.

Ammo Cache

Ares activates a buff that causes him to synthesize packs of ammo at specific damage intervals (either to health or shields). If Ares is below 30% health, there is a chance that he'll spawn a live grenade (which does not hurt him, nor any teammates). Upgrading this mod decreases the damage interval needed to spawn ammo.

SitRep

Ares fires a tactical drone into the air, which induces a wide-radius scan that reveals the positions of enemies (via outlines). Enemies marked by SitRep do [X%] less damage to the players and take [Y%] more damage from all sources.

Pneumatic Maul

Ares' backpack armory deploys an oversized energy hammer, with unique melee combos.

The main melee combo string involves overhead strikes, with the last strike thrusting the player forward and delivering a forceful smash that stuns any nearby enemies

Pressing the right mouse button will deliver a slow, but wide-AoE slam that will ragdoll any nearby enemies.

Basically, its a super-pwnhammer version of Warcry. The main idea is for it to have multiple AoE "slam" attacks that either stagger or ragdoll enemies.

EDIT: 10/28/14

Added two new ideas to Ares, I'm seriously running out of ideas for him

Marked For Death

Ares' shoulder turret pops out and fires several unique darts at the closest enemies to Ares (a limited number of darts, which is increased via ability rank). Enemies tagged will recieve extra damage from any sources near them, but after some times has passed, they will begin to bloat and heat up on the inside until they violently explode, dealing AoE damage to any enemy near them, dependent on how much health the enemy had when he died.

Annihilator Matrix

Ares bulks his mass by extending and fortifying several armor plates over his body, reducing him to a walk, but giving him absurdly high armor, and overcharging his shields. Upon activating this ability, ammo will slowly start regenerating in Ares' current weapon pool, and any critical kills will instantly replenish that weapon's magazine instantly.

Edited by DarknightK

I like the idea of a firepower based frame, makes me think of something in lines of a gundam in design (heavy, even excessive armour to hold all extra devices in).

Im kind of worried about stats, this would be much tankier than anything (except valkyr in armour) and since its a long range frame it shouldnt need all that much.

As for powers:

1.Steel Ordnance (Perhaps 'Covering Fire')

Like the idea of extra gun though it feels just like an extra temporary sentinel. Also feels a bit hard to imagine fast, agile tenno with a turret attached to its arm.

2. Maybe to make him more versatile the first explosion should do damage while the mortar shells could release flashes blinding enemies in a larger area (just a random idea). Another thing it could do is first explode and scatter little flashy orbs that explode as soon as enemies get near (like a ranged minefield mortar)

3. Really it would seem tenno would figure out an easier way of reaching extra ammo than shooting themselves with rockets, perhaps something like calling for a supply drop from liset via a small canister shot from a cannon? Dealing damage around fall area and then opening to spray ammo around.

4. As much as becoming a turret sounds awesome perhaps some additional defense boost since tenno depend laregly on mobility.

YAY, THE FIRST REPLY

Alright, to clear a few things up

1. The turret is mainly a form of blindspot covering. It's attached to his shoulder (think of War Machine from Iron Man) and mainly targets any enemy behind him. I think probably removing the ability for it to target enemies in front of him would probably balance it, and would make it more versatile instead of just a shoulder-mounted sentinel, but I'm not sure.

2. I like the idea of the initial explosion dealing damage, could be useful at hitting enemies perched in alcoves or flying enemies (such as regulators) and letting the secondary mortars deal with the enemies down below. The ability should by default knockdown enemies, giving it some utility even against high-powered enemies when damage becomes less of a thing.

3. I originally had planned for Danger Close to simply be a power that allows players to literally rush into a group of mobs and let the missiles act as support fire. The ammo thing was just something I added because I simply felt this power needed to have more resourcefulness other than just being a damage power. Thanks for the input though, I'll be changing this sometime soon, but I'm not sure exactly to what.

4. I originally thought of adding a Bonus Armor boost to the stats, but removed it because it felt a little overpowered, although I guess it sort of fits the whole turtle theme (the basic concept was that Ares was supposed to feel like a turtle with a BFG on his back). Plus, I originally imagined extra pieces of armor covering Ares while he's using this power, to make him look more like a turtle. (I like turtles btw). I'll add this back in and see what people think about it.

Also, the reason why powers 2, 3, and 4 have no solid stats is because I'm still deciding what is balanced and what is overpowered, feel free to suggest any Stat scaling as you wish. Also, lowering some of his Warframe Stats even further because he does seem a bit tanky.

• 1 month later...

Sounds like a cool concept-  I'm curious how his art design would go though.  Flat plates are the corpus's bag and this guy screams flat plate to me for whatever reason.  He'd need to be very streamlined in design and tenno don't TEND to have any sort of storage for their abilities they just pull them out of hammer space (where does vau keep all those grenades?!)  The idea for a ranged damage based CC frame is certainly worth looking into regardless.

Sounds like a cool concept-  I'm curious how his art design would go though.  Flat plates are the corpus's bag and this guy screams flat plate to me for whatever reason.  He'd need to be very streamlined in design and tenno don't TEND to have any sort of storage for their abilities they just pull them out of hammer space (where does vau keep all those grenades?!)  The idea for a ranged damage based CC frame is certainly worth looking into regardless.

The original idea was a boxy, heavily armored design. Imagine Rhino with a lot of boxy plating around his arms and legs, and a backpack similar to those you would find from Borderlands 2's Loot Goons

The basis of this idea was to have a solider/grenadier-esque frame that could lay down heavy CC at a range. I originally had the stats a bit beefed up, but I reduced them to keep him out of the Juggernaut/Tank role of Rhino, and keep Ares as a "ranged Rhino", essentially. 

The fact that Booben simply materializes grey goo lightning balls out of space irks me, his Tesla 'nades deserve a decent model. :S

perhaps he pulls them out of his energy nipples, huuhuehuaueh