Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mission Concept Firestarter

lightini

Hello everyone, i present you the firestarter mission,

First the mission need a little background to place the context, the grineer and the corpus are negociating ofr technology and weapon sharing, but as the factions do not trust each other, they all bring their elite troops along in case things go south. (wich will be happening either way) Your job is to break the negociations and the trust between the faction, stealthily framing one of the faction, or plainly killing everybody.

The main goal of the mission is the stealth option, you have to make your way to the sniping spot with a recording device for the assasination that will later be used to frame the faction.The two factions and their troops will have a face to face negociations, with the targets close to each other negociating. Once at the sniping spot, you will be at medium to long range, just enough to not alert with gunshot, when the target is killed, the two factions will fight each other and you make your may to the extraction point, still undetected.

Now i understand this mechanic is great for stealth lovers but will be almost impossible to accomplish without a stealth frame or weapon, without even considering the nutjobs that will ruin the mission. So there is a way to complete the mission gun blazing, killing everybody, but you will have to fight both faction at the same time, bombard, napalm, heavy gunner, tech, fusion moa, and even hyena pack, and all very high level, if not prepared, needless to say it will be one hell of a fight. Worst part is you will have to kill both corpus and grineer target as they are fleeing to escape in different direction, the tennos will have to split up if they want to kill both of them. But if only one escape the mission will fail, the firestarter had not happened.

At last i want to implement a reward system in this mission:

-if the stealth is a success: you will receive xp bonus, more than doing the mission by killing everyone (and will take less time by the way)

-if the extermination is a sucess: you will be able to pick up cases held by both targets containning the money or weapon/tech and will be traded by the lotus with money for the team, i think 20000 to 40000 cred will be good.

if you have any questions, or ideas you want to share i will be pleased to answer, thank you

Edited by lightini

It's a great idea but it's more suited for "1 player campaign missions", as you know that there are a lot of "noobs" who don't communicate in-game and communication is key in a stealth mission. Another reason is that those "noobs" will just rush in and spoil the mission (trust me I've seen it multiple times).

Oh but you can make it a private session with your clan mates.

Nice concept tho

Edited by GeoBlitzWolf

It's a great idea but it's more suited for "1 player campaign missions", as you know that there are a lot of "noobs" who don't communicate in-game and communication is key in a stealth mission. Another reason is that those "noobs" will just rush in and spoil the mission (trust me I've seen it multiple times).

Oh but you can make it a private session with your clan mates.

Nice concept tho

Yeah i can relate to you, just with rescue mission we can pretty much foresee where this is going, and this is exactly why i tried to isolate those problems.

But one reason that might "force" them to cooperate is the reward, xp or money in great quantities. there will be players who will take pleasure in failing the mission, but they will think about it if the reward is worth it, doesn't it?

well, remember the red veil rescue event ? when we had to sneak someone out of jail, and not alert the wardens and such.

remember that you could find rhino prime + penta everywhere just 10 minutes after the event release ?

yes, i do, and this is why the mission is almost impossible to do if rambo wannabe go gun blazing alone and unpreparred into the fight, it will take a little time for accomodation, and as said earlier, we can use private sessions to avoid those situations. And the reward annouced is ,for me, worth playing as it was tailored to.

on another note, you also remember the cryotic front event? where those "same" players had no idea and activated isolated excavators surrounded by ennemies and wasting time and energy? feel quite the same for me here. The difference is, on rescue mission you have the time to be spotted and rescue the guy, unless you really just waste everybody's time, or not having absolutely any idea what was going on, but it was still possible to complete the mission.

While it is a nice idea, i do wonder about a few things...

First of all is the sniping itself. Killing someone from a distance sounds nice and all, but that would out-rule a rather large amount of weapons. Melee and side-arms are useless, same with shotguns, flamethrowers, rocketlaunchers and the other weapons along those lines. Meaning, only the normal rifles, the bows and the sniper rifles of the game are possible. With the rifles, it is kinda meh since they are probably automatic anyway, making the sniping rather boring and useless. Sniping is simply put, one shot, one kill. Not multiple shots like with most rifles. Which leaves the bows and the sniper rifles.

While the sniper rifles might be the best suited for those kind of missions, they are harder to build than the bows (with the exception of maybe the paris prime ) which can also be used for the one shot, one kill thing.

Next up, is the amount of people that will do the sniping. 4 people doing the same snipe kill sounds nice and all, but it doesn't really serve any purpose besides a possible spotter or backup if the first one misses, so some way of solving that would be needed too then i guess.

If the end solution is that there will be one sniper, one spotter and two that fill other supportive roles, what will determine who will fulfill which role? If all 4 have a sniper rifle, all 4 are able to be the sniper.

And last but not least ( at least for now that is :P ) what about the aiming accuracies in combination with the strength of the bullets and the punch-through? If the bullet misses and hits a different target, the mission would be failed if i read that description of you correctly. Same when the bullet does hit the target, but does not kill the target in a single shot. How would that have to be solved in that case?

While it is a nice idea, i do wonder about a few things...

First of all is the sniping itself. Killing someone from a distance sounds nice and all, but that would out-rule a rather large amount of weapons. Melee and side-arms are useless, same with shotguns, flamethrowers, rocketlaunchers and the other weapons along those lines. Meaning, only the normal rifles, the bows and the sniper rifles of the game are possible. With the rifles, it is kinda meh since they are probably automatic anyway, making the sniping rather boring and useless. Sniping is simply put, one shot, one kill. Not multiple shots like with most rifles. Which leaves the bows and the sniper rifles.

While the sniper rifles might be the best suited for those kind of missions, they are harder to build than the bows (with the exception of maybe the paris prime ) which can also be used for the one shot, one kill thing.

Next up, is the amount of people that will do the sniping. 4 people doing the same snipe kill sounds nice and all, but it doesn't really serve any purpose besides a possible spotter or backup if the first one misses, so some way of solving that would be needed too then i guess.

If the end solution is that there will be one sniper, one spotter and two that fill other supportive roles, what will determine who will fulfill which role? If all 4 have a sniper rifle, all 4 are able to be the sniper.

And last but not least ( at least for now that is :P ) what about the aiming accuracies in combination with the strength of the bullets and the punch-through? If the bullet misses and hits a different target, the mission would be failed if i read that description of you correctly. Same when the bullet does hit the target, but does not kill the target in a single shot. How would that have to be solved in that case?

Yes you pointed it out. honestly it hit me just 2 days ago and looked for a plausible solution. here is my idea: a weapon hack: at the sniping location a waepon can be hacked and used to do the killing. that should take away all difficulties of weapons and accuracy limitations.

First, the hacking mini game must be harder to do, just like the ranking mission featuring the hacking, if the hacking fails the alarm will ring (using the decoder is possible too)

Second, when the hacking is successful, you get to use the weapon, in first person view, to kill the target, only one shot for one kill.

if you hit a different target, the mission switch to extermination, you need to pursue the target before they flee and kill the remaining forces. if you have any idea i will be pleased to hear it and discuss about it. thanks

Yes you pointed it out. honestly it hit me just 2 days ago and looked for a plausible solution. here is my idea: a weapon hack: at the sniping location a waepon can be hacked and used to do the killing. that should take away all difficulties of weapons and accuracy limitations.

First, the hacking mini game must be harder to do, just like the ranking mission featuring the hacking, if the hacking fails the alarm will ring (using the decoder is possible too)

Second, when the hacking is successful, you get to use the weapon, in first person view, to kill the target, only one shot for one kill.

if you hit a different target, the mission switch to extermination, you need to pursue the target before they flee and kill the remaining forces. if you have any idea i will be pleased to hear it and discuss about it. thanks

Regarding the hacking of the weapon, that would most likely have to be a different kind of hacking than what the game currently offers since those cyphers are rather easy to do, not to mention instantly finished with that specific item for it (forgot the name of it >.< ). At least, if you want to the hacking part to be harder.

Personally, i would prefer it if the player was given a single suitcase which contained a sniper rifle with a single bullet for the kill, but that might be a bit too different and technical for this kind of mission even though it could possibly solve a part of the problem with the amount of snipers in the mission...

So, instead of an hacking sequence, why not some kind of boost sequence that needs a specific code? The sequence would only be available in the fire-starter mission, but done correctly, it might work out quite interesting i guess.

If the sequence is failed, the booster locks itself, rendering it useless the rest of the mission which could be explained by the lotus trying to protect the tenno or something like that. If the sequence is a success however, the booster would change to some kind of scope, while locking the magazine to a single bullet?

That way, even rifles would be capable of working like a normal sniper.

Then again, that sequence would be useless on a bow or a sniper rifle now that i think about it....

Maybe you know a solution with a booster instead of a hacking system Lightini?

I do like your idea for first person view though. If they would implement that in the game, i hope they also allow us to zoom in and out depending on ones preference while also implementing wind strength, velocity and sound for the single shot ^_^

The third part, while i do like the idea, it also feels a bit weird in that setting.

If you shoot the wrong target, it would turn into a capture/exterminate mission with your idea.

If we stick to the one shot one kill theme, it would be more logical to get a mission failed when you miss your target.

While i myself would think it would also be nice that the hit would be placed in a certain angle for the mission to succeed, i can also see why that might make the mission needlessly difficult.

Placing shots over the shoulders of a corpus crew men to give a grineer a head-shot while making it appear a bit more realistically as if the corpus made that shot sounds pretty sweet to me after all :) But as i said, i can also see why it might make the mission needlessly difficult that way.

I am curious what you think of these idea's Lightini.

hello,

thanks for all the ideas you are sharing with me, let me tell you my position concerning the concepts i make as i go: i try to stick as much as possible to mechanics that already exist in the game, that way the concept if someday is approached, can be plausible to integrate to the game as easely as possible.The game needs to be challenging with specific context, but also accesible to a maximum of players.

I read through all your ideas and they are really interesting, well thought. i think you misunderstood the first person sniping, it's not as grand as a first person shooter, just plain sniping sight like the regular one in game.

For the booster that change the weapon into a sniper is an interesting one, but as the mechanic is not existing in game, i don't know how it would work. but the idea is here, the hacking will give the possibility to use a weapon to snipe the target. i wanted the idea to use a weapon already in place, like a turret for example, beacause the ennemy would see the shot and will think the turret (from the other faction) made the shot and recognize them as threat, going with the sniper they will just see the warframe, it will make no sense right?

the hacking need to be harder, we agree on that, so hard (but not impossible of course) that using the decoder to bypass woudn't be considered a bad idea.

Also can you give me more detail for your sequence? i would like to know what you have in mind?

Getting a mission fail is a little harsh for missing the shot, it will make the mission too stict and enjoyable for new players to this mission. i tried to incorporate as much gameplay as possible, and the goal was to make a mission based on reactivity and preparation, always on the move. And for the sniping sequence, i am full of ideas no worries about that, with regular patrols between you and the target, natural obstacles, active ventilations fans, blinding sunlight or searchlights... i have all we need to hinder the shot 3:)

And at last, it's not grineer specific, we can also choose to kill corpus target. if the node mission features grineer, we need to kill grineer target, if it's corpus, it's the corpus target.