Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Should Actually Commit To Being Fast-Paced.

SableSonata

So Warframe is fast-paced. That much is obvious. But there are so many things that just slow the game down, with no real benefit.

For instance:

- Reloading is interrupted by pretty much anything, and has to be started over in most cases.

- Quick melee is occasionally interrupted by the warframe doing a flourish and putting the weapon away, preventing attacks.

- Getting knocked down is annoying, but what the real issue is, is that it takes an eternity to stand back up.

- Movement animations take too long/prevent attacking for too long (looking at you, flip over railing after wallrun).

- Rolling/dodging is utterly useless. It covers too short a distance and the animations are too slow. You're no less vulnerable, but you also can't fight back while dodging.

- Sprinting is absolute garbage. Way too slow.

Possible solutions, in order:

- Taking actions only pauses reloads, and they resume right where they were; or each weapon has 2-4 stages of reload, and resumes at the last completed stage.

- Make the flourish/sheathing interruptable.

- Pressing jump immediately after being knocked down will get you up almost instantly; increase the regular speed at which Warframes get up.

- Speed up the slower animations, and allow players to cancel parts of the animation if that's not enough.

- Increase the animation speed of the dodges (Mirage is a good example), increase the distance traveled slightly, give players damage resistance or invulnerability frames while dodging.

- Increase sprint speed so that it is at least as fast as buttscooching and/or coptering.

Warframe is a fast-paced game; don't be afraid to change the things that hurt that experience.

Didn't you post this thread before?

Didn't I and several other players also tell you, rolling and dodging is actually absolutely amazing if used correctly?

There are also reload cancels for certain weapons, use them tactically. I think the forced reload is a good thing, it makes you have to think instead of being mindless.

Also when you're knocked down, how do you think you feel? Do you think you can leap back up? Hell no, you'll be dizzy as F***. Source: Was an actual soldier FYI. Our frames can already fight back within mili-seconds after being knocked down. Are you aware you can fire your primary while standing?

Sprinting is used to start your ninja-jump-slide combo, you travel as fast as coptering if you know what you're doing.

...I'm gonna have to say no to pretty much all of this.

We're already stronger than anything this universe can throw at us, and this game is extremely fast paced already. I don't even think I've heard of a game that just "pauses" reloading when you do another action. How would that work anyway? Does your new cartridge just hang in mid air while you're doing other actions?

Oh and rolling/dodging actually does give invulnerability, but only to knock down. I believe it also messes up enemies' aim, thus you don't get hurt as much during the animation.

I think the only suggestion I could give, is maybe a full on active reload system ala Gears of War. I can only see it adding to the experience, and it rewards skillful timing (while punishes bad timing, or you can just totally opt out of it and let it reload normally).

Edited by SoulEchelon

Combat already feels faster than reality (which is good, we are space-ninjas after all).

Making some animations more fluid would be fine. Fixing the random/sudden velocity changes and other oddities would help.  In otehr words: fix the fluidity of movement, but more speed is not needed.  Instantaneous stand-up would be silly.

Didn't you post this thread before?

Didn't I and several other players also tell you, rolling and dodging is actually absolutely amazing if used correctly?

There are also reload cancels for certain weapons, use them tactically. I think the forced reload is a good thing, it makes you have to think instead of being mindless.

Also when you're knocked down, how do you think you feel? Do you think you can leap back up? Hell no, you'll be dizzy as F***. Source: Was an actual soldier FYI. Our frames can already fight back within mili-seconds after being knocked down. Are you aware you can fire your primary while standing?

Sprinting is used to start your ninja-jump-slide combo, you travel as fast as coptering if you know what you're doing.

I've never made a thread like this. Please, explain how dodging is in any way useful. As far as I can tell, you get minimal/no damage reduction, enemies have no significant difficulty hitting you, no i-frames, you barely move faster than normal speed, and you can't attack. 

Realism isn't a good defense of a game. Especially not a game like Warframe. Especially not when realism slows the game down when the game is trying to be fast-paced.

Ninja-jump-slide combo is unintuitive, looks awful, and takes away the player's fine control. 

Forced reload doesn't really require any significant thought; it only serves to punish the player for playing at the pace the game sets. It breaks the action; it's not fun. 

...I'm gonna have to say no to pretty much all of this.

We're already stronger than anything this universe can throw at us, and this game is extremely fast paced already. I don't even think I've heard of a game that just "pauses" reloading when you do another action. How would that work anyway? Does your new cartridge just hang in mid air while you're doing other actions?

Oh and rolling/dodging actually does give invulnerability, but only to knock down. I believe it also messes up enemies' aim, thus you don't get hurt as much during the animation.

I think the only suggestion I could give, is maybe a full on active reload system ala Gears of War. I can only see it adding to the experience, and it rewards skillful timing (while punishes bad timing, or you can just totally opt out of it and let it reload normally).

Well how does the current reload system work, where magazines you've already loaded suddenly vanish, or your battery instantly depletes as soon as you're not paying attention to it. I'd prefer the stepped reloads, but pausing would be easier, and I'm always one to suggest easily-implemented solutions, because devs are unlikely to take suggestions that are not easy unless they can monetize it somehow.

I really haven't noticed any sort of damage reduction or enemy-accuracy penalty associated with dodging, and regardless, the amount of damage you mitigate can't possibly match the damage output you've lost from dodging. 99% of the time, you're better off just tanking the damage so that you can continue dishing it out. Enemies die faster, you take less fire.

Active-reload would be good as well. I'm always in favour of reasonable skill-based rewards. 

Combat already feels faster than reality (which is good, we are space-ninjas after all).

Making some animations more fluid would be fine. Fixing the random/sudden velocity changes and other oddities would help.  In otehr words: fix the fluidity of movement, but more speed is not needed.  Instantaneous stand-up would be silly.

I mostly agree; fluidity could use some significant improvement, but things like sprint definitely need to be faster. 

And I don't mean instantaneous standup, but more like if you hit jump, instead of landing flat on your back, you do a roll and stand very quickly.

YES ! I've said this in the past, the ''fast pace'' is the best thing about this game, why is de trying to slow us down by all means. Corpus levels have like 50 cameras on each tile making sure to block doors with laser traps.

We don't want traps we want turbo/launch pads and crazy fast parkour tiles.

I don't think they have to commit to being fast-paced to address everything you said (meaning, I'd love to see harder/stealthier content in the future after some stealth revamps, but I'd still want these to be addressed).

- I understand reloading is supposed to be tactical, but what interrupts it and what doesn't is extremely unintuitive to me. Why does bumping the open button on a closet completely reset it, but Volt can use his number one freely? Really simple actions should not interrupt reloading, and if something would, I honestly think I might prefer that you simply can't do it while reloading. It's not about balance, it's about feel, and right now it feels like a light breeze or your Warframe coughing would cause your empty magazine to teleport back into your gun, resetting your progress in a way that doesn't even make sense.

- There's actually a reason for this? I always just thought it was a weird bug where sometimes the game would just lock down your interactions until the weapon had been completely re-sheathed. This really has to go. It's your Warframe choosing to make themselves vulnerable completely beyond your control, and not even logically.

- Getting knocked down is supposed to be something you're supposed to avoid, I get that, but with how agile the Warframes are, it feels jarring that they can't just flip right back up.

- This is a huge pet peeve of mine in this game. I love parkour, I love that it's in this game, but I hate how easily your flow is broken by the parkour. I hate when I'm sprinting down a hall, or running along a wall, go to hop over some tiny barricade, and accidentally brush a corner, causing my Warframe to stop, magnetize to the corner, hesitate for a second, then slowly pull himself over. I think there's another common instance that drives me nuts that I can't remember at the moment, but yes, in general, I at least want to see Warframes vault faster. The whole point of parkour is that vaulting over an obstacle is supposed to be faster than going around it, and so often in this game it's the complete opposite.

- If you're right about rolling/dodging, then I agree. And I word it that way specifically because I can't really tell if it's useful at all. It doesn't really seem to be.

- In general I'd like to see the basic movement revamped. In general, I don't really know what the point of Stamina is for movement. It seems more of a nuisance, at worst, than any kind of balancing mechanic. Sprinting should just be the fastest default movement, and maybe even vault over many obstacles by default (in a way that does not slow you down).

Edited by Jokubas