Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Warframe Concept] Tek: Grineer/tenno Hybrid Frame

Syncrasis

This looks fun! It would be fun using Grineer abilities like the mentioned Hellion blast. You could also add some kind of cluster grenade (not sure which ability slot just an idea) which explodes 2-3 times spreading with each detonation by releasing child grenades.(possibly add homing to child nades?)(Syndicate ability mods may change the grenade's behavior and effects) Imagine the Bouncer from Ratchet and Clank 3 Up your Arsenal.

Edited by (XB1)NightValdiez117

• 6 years later...

Wow, I was also trying to build a Grineer/Tenno hybrid warframe. Mine's named Vodkasa. Looking at your design, really helps me figure out my own idea. I'd like to see how well both of our Grineer based warframes will do if added to the game. 

Here is a link to my concept:

Vodkasa Concept

Edited by (PSN)Jaytrash1

I'll just talk about the abilities, although since there are no real damage numbers forgive me if I'm getting the general powering wrong.

On 2014-09-12 at 3:54 AM, Syncrasis said:

1 - Trap: Tek releases an energy net similar to the G3 in a cone area in front of him, where enemy units are held down and cannot attack for 2/4/7/15 seconds. Size of cone is 2/4/6/8 meters.

Interesting choice for a 1st ability, and also sounding very broken already. On a normal build for me, I average between 150-200% duration, so even at rank 1, 6 seconds of enemies being unable to act is a big deal, especially considering the powercreep in modern warframe. 6 seconds of an enemy being unable to act is more than enough time for a Mesa to kill off everything inside, even on Steel Path. I'd suggest making it so that they can still attack, that way they aren't just sitting there, especially on a 1st ability.

2 - Oil Slick: Spreads oil trailing behind Tek. Can be used while moving to create lines and arcs on the ground. Enemy units coming in contact will immediately be knocked down, but will recover. Fire and items with fire proc light it, creating an environment hazard. Can be lit by allies or enemies. Toggle ability with limited supply of oil, with more available according to ability rank.

Once again, another interesting ability. I'm assuming the oil supply would be shown in a gauge? Although it would be nice to know if stats also increase/decrease oil supply. With this, I can see the optimal strategy to just be running into enemies to knock them down, and then just ground-finisher them as you go by. And knowing how pathetic environmental hazards are in warframe, unless we get numbers on the damage, the optimal play would be to just not light it, even moreso if it can burn Tek while he's laying a lit trail.

3 - Drone: Tek deploys a small, inflatable regulator. Has a debuff effect on enemies and an attack buff on allies. The unit itself stays in place. Can be destroyed. One unit per map. Radius of effect is 5/10/20/30 meters.

This one's gonna be a no chief... The problem isn't the buffing or the debuffing, that's perfectly fine. The problem lies in it being stationary, its the biggest problem with many abilities, this one just has the problem of being unable to act outside that range. While 30 meters is a large range, the only place this'll get used (in defence, mob defence or interception), most people rarely hang around the target, instead setting up static defences and just running off to do their own thing. This ability would benefit massively if it had the ability to loosely follow a set target or marker. Maybe giving it a wheel with 5 options (stationary, player 1, player 2, etc) and having it slowly follow them, akin to Eidolon Lures, would improve it.

4 - Missile Barrage: Tek rises in the air for a short time and 1/2/3/4 bursts of homing missiles that cause heavy blast damage are ejected from Hellion-like pods on his back.

Talk about underwhelming. Maybe I'm underestimating it because of a lack of numbers, but homing abilities never work well in warframe. The only warframe I can think of that has a sudo-homing ability is Garuda's 4, which decided to do away with homing really and just hit literally every enemy in the circle, with no real concern for range or walls, or Nova's 2 which is slow and hard to use as any physical object stops it. Nowadays there are so many walls and other obstructing objects in warframe that a homing ability won't make the cut, plus how would it home in? Most weapons with a homing feature either have a lock-on stage, or just follow the crosshair, so which of those would it use?

Overall, his abilities sound fine as a standalone ability if it were to end up in the helminth system, however he lacks from any form of synergy between his abilities.
This is something that, while back in 2014 there was a lack of really, but nowadays synergy is important in warframe kits, as basically every new warframe from as far back as Nidus has had some form of synergy between their powers, be it powers being needed to cast others, or some other weird synergy (eg: Nidus's 1 will also be made by his link target).
Maybe if his drone acted as a sort of 'mini Tek' and released smaller versions of his powers whenever he casted within a certain range?