The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Some Interesting Power Mechanics That De Should Give A Try.

quietcanary

Was thinking about ways to keep powers from being so linear all the time since like half of them tend to be radial-auras or projectile-based-damage abilities.

A certain discussion in council chat which will not be named has me kinda inspired so I wanted to list each mechanic I can think of that might make for interesting powers.

-Permanent powers- Create something stationary weak, recastable, and consumble but with out duration or energy drain. Preferably something with no lag generation.

-Delayed Drain- Powers that only drain energy when they affect a enemy. A aura that doubles how effective procs are for example that only drains energy when the proc, proc's if you catch my meaning.

-Power Manipulating Powers- anything that instead of being a power by itself would instead modify already cast powers or soon to be cast powers. For example a power that causes your next use of snowglobe to double in health or whatever power you cast next to have double duration.

-Stat Change Powers- Simple enough. A power that can cause another frame to gain x3 power strength would be a example.

-Full World Change- Powers without range that effect the map itself. Zero grav anyone? Slow all projectiles for a time? BREAK ALL THE CAMERAS!

-Permanent effect powers- A power that stacks infinitely the more you cast it. Increase shields by 5 for 50 energy so you gradually gain 3k shields in long match's but waste tons of energy? 

-Auto Cast or Passive Powers- Something that gives you a flat boost just for having the power equipped or a power that activates itself under conditions. Perhaps something like your shield becomes 3k and your health becomes 100, or everytime you crit you gain 100 credits?

-New status effects- Fear was interesting and everyone liked getting many more types of status proc so lets get some more. Some examples in game so far are accelerant being similar to "oil" and terrify being "fear".

-Changing powers- A power that changes with the situations or everytime you cast it. Zephyrs Tail Wind and Mirages Eclipse are good examples of this.-

Im sure something like this has been posted before but I would like to bring some light to it and stockpile any suggestions like this into one thread. Feel free to message me or post in the thread and ill add it to the list. Looking for mechanics themselves that haven't been tried before and not simply powers that have not been tried so please explain yourselves if you post something.

Some of your ideas are great (Power empowering other powers, similar to combo- or chain-casting), some are just broken (money on crits? Soma incoming!). But overall, I catch your drift. More versatility would be nice. Some of my own ideas complement or expand yours:

Powers that create pickups that have effect X.

A power that changes effect with what surface/enemy it's cast on.

Powers that change with what power was used before.