Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mod Says 100% Crit Chance. Is Not Accurate.

KyleOne

and again this comes up... it's becoming a bad joke that I kind of wish there was a forum post that had all the weapon information in it to explain it.  You do not receive 100% *additional* crit from the mod, you get an additional 100% of whatever your weapon's crit actually is.  It's multiplicative, not additive ex: Braton Vandal has 7.5% crit base, if you had a 100% crit mod you gain 100% crit so you get an additional 7.5% leaving your total at 15%.

It's +100% of your base crit rate.

For example you have a weapon with a 10% crit rate. The formula for critical hits is '(BaseCritChance) + (BaseCritChance*Modifier)'. This means that, with your +100% Crit Rate the formula is '(.10) + (.10*1.00)' which is .20 Crit rate.

Sorry from switching from percent to decimals. I find it easier to work with decimals.

The lesson here is that (A) the mod-description needs work (B) people need some way to know what their base crit chance is.

It probably isn't the most popular option, as people love crit for some reason, but I pick the third option, © which is that as crit adds nothing to the game, it doesn't need to exist.

It probably isn't the most popular option, as people love crit for some reason, but I pick the third option, © which is that as crit adds nothing to the game, it doesn't need to exist.

I'm torn on this.  Feels like crit could have a place in the game, but the developers haven't clearly decided what that place is.  As of right now, there's no reason for crit existing--other than to take up mod spaces.  But I could easily see more interaction in the future.

Edited by Shinnyshin

I had a friend jump in and check the game out and the first thing he said was, "What the f*** is with these menus or lack of?" I asked what he meant and he explained that the whole system was a bit off, no stat screen that kept track of what the mods really do to you or your weapons, base stats on each frame and bonuses. and so on... I am sure the devs know these issues and are trying to get everything in game ironed out and Frames working the way they want them to before they lock in a stat system.

If crit was listed in game, it would be totally cool to have mods that increase that, so long as it's explained in game. As is, most crit chance mods are beyond useless.

Yeah... Im not sure if the guns im modding have base critical at all...

Whenever you see or hear a percentage increase being mentioned(here, in game, news, papers, whatever), your first thought should ALWAYS be: Do they really mean percentage or percentage points? As in: Is it multiplicative or additive. As in: 100% increase on 20% - do they mean 40% or 120% now?

If something goes from 20% to 40% it has increased 100 percent - or 20 percentage _points_.

Journalists F*** this up again and again. And game developers too. So when I saw those cards, my first thought was the above mentioned question.

In this case the description on the card is correct. It gives you the indicated % increase in crit chance. Not percentage points.

And in some cases, your second question should be "What's the basis for these percentages at each step?".

"Taxes were raised by 50%. A year later, they were lowered by 50%."

With X as the original value, does the final value come out to ((x + 0.50x) * 0.50) = 0.75x, or does it mean (x + 0.50x - 0.50x) = 1.00x?

Edited by HvcTerr

The text of the crit mods are plain dumb, the base crit chance of a weapon is already in %, adding to that will only confuse people.

An easy thing is to write something like "multiply by (1.2 / 2 / 2.4678 / 3 / 10 / whatever) times the base crit of this weapon".

Make it numeral and it will go smoothly.

The lesson here is that (A) the mod-description needs work (B) people need some way to know what their base crit chance is.

This. Instead of the tooltip reading as "x% crit chance," it could simply say "x% base crit chance"

Then the weapon stats could have the base crit chance floating somewhere in the stat table.

Edited by Skreshavik

What if only melee weapons could crit, since you can't exactly *aim* them?

What if only melee weapons could crit, since you can't exactly *aim* them?

Eh, even then what would the point be? They kind of do already, every get a headshot with the Scindo? You're pretty much asking to have crit for the sake of crit there.

What I'd rather see is more dedicated melee combos, or even directional melee hits.

Edited by Xrylene

Eh, even then what would the point be? They kind of do already, every get a headshot with the Scindo? You're pretty much asking to have crit for the sake of crit there.

What I'd rather see is more dedicated melee combos, or even directional melee hits.

I've gotten a headshot with my gram before, but I've never noticed it doing extra damage. Maybe I'm just crazy, though. Also, combos would be difficult with the melee attack bound to one button.