The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How About An Auction House?

Nelkeel

That would be nice, a HUB just like a town-of-some-sort, a free port.

Given that you most use Plant to buy-sell and not in-game credits I don't see any reason someone would sell it using in-game credits and someone would hoard the items and re-sell them using Plats, unless some fat-wallet-kid does that.

That would be nice, a HUB just like a town-of-some-sort, a free port.

Given that you most use Plant to buy-sell and not in-game credits I don't see any reason someone would sell it using in-game credits and someone would hoard the items and re-sell them using Plats, unless some fat-wallet-kid does that.

Like one of fat-wallet-kidz I can say, that we gladly sell some stuff for credits. Credit farm is much more annoying and unfortunately, its a must, because we cant get creds any other way (buy from DE Market doesnt count, insane rate)

Edited by Vicious_D

- Just this one makes me cry... I`m not even going to argue with 13 yo boy, it seems useless... I have nothing against your idea, but what you saying here is a classic MMO AH (simpliest example - Star Wars - The Old Republic). Auction IRL and ingame are two different things. Also MMO AH for like 6 years have 'classic' fundamental feauters:

1. Buyout
2. House Tax
3. Limit per items on the list.

You`re saying the same things, I dont know why its so important for you to call it Market. Some people afraid of clowns, are you afraid of auctions?

1. Auctions don't have to have a buyout anymore than auctions on Ebay have to have a "buy it now" option.  It's what they call an "option".  If you have an option to buy a car with a convertible top, that doesn't make all models of that car a convertible.  You clearly don't know what an auction is, and refused any attempt to even educate yourself.   You also generally have issues with logic and reading comprehension.  You claim the backtalk shows the weakness of an argument, but you've had that in every single one of your posts.  I can only take that as an overt omission that you have no ground to stand on. You seem to have a fondness for ad hominem (e.g. - "13" or "clown" comments)

2. Tax is already in our trade system.  You should know this if you've played the game - every transaction has a credit fee, and clans can set taxes.  That's not a feature of a market I've designed that makes it an auction house, it's the only way to give a market parity with the existing system if they keep them both.

3. Limiting items a person can list is a means to prevent market flooding.  If one person can list 100 items at no cost/no tax, then it creates a climate where people can more easily abuse the market, use shell characters, and recreate many of the issues that have made "Auction Houses" problematic elsewhere.  That aside, we already have limits on our number of trades built into our account, so you'd have to have the same limits to not make trading irrelevant.  DE apparently desired MR-based trade limits.

I've said completely different things than what you suggested, but you seem unable to understand them.  If you need a course in economics, I would be happy to recommend you one at a university near you.

Games have had "markets" since 1997 at least (see: Ultima Online: vendors, and Everquest: the Bazaar).  They are different things from auctions.  Auctions in real life and in-games are not different, they share a name specifically because WoW added an AUCTION function to what had formerly just been markets in prior games. If there is no "auction" function, it is not an auction house.  I'm saying we should have a market because I think that is more fitting.  I explained how one would function because you asked for specifics.  Auction houses (as a name) became a thing circa WoW, but not all in-game markets are auction houses or function the same.  There are differences and nuances between them.

You've been familiar with "auction houses" for six years?  Player markets have existed in some form for over 17 years.

Auctions in real life and in games are not, in fact, different.  Taxes/fees/listings do not make something an auction.  If they did, we'd call "classifieds" auctions, and any transaction at a grocery store where you had sales tax would be an auction too.  If ALL transactions are "auctions", then the word becomes meaningless. The truth of the matter is in real life, there are fees on just about any kind of transaction, and fees for listing things on auction sites or in classifieds.  They often limit the number of listings as well.

The fact these things exist in-game is often a byproduct of game balance or in-game economy concerns.  Limits are created to prevent things like spamming, and so on; it's not exactly neurosurgery.  This is true of markets and auctions alike.  

Edited by (PS4)Zeylon

Well its just one part of it. With AH also comes its problems:

1. Overdestribution - loads of items, that no one needs (T1 keys, common prime parts, common low rank mods)

2. Actually almost impossible to negotiate LOWER price, since people will direct to AH.

Not over distribution.  Actual distribution.  One of the best things about a market, just like EQ has or had (I have played in years) will be the ability to sell loads of small items that no one sells nows.  Ember helm bp?  No one advertises it because it isn't worth much and since people can only advertise every 2 minutes no one adds it.  Same thing with tons of prime parts and low cost mods.  This will let players sell those things for a change.

The market negotiates prices.  Someone wants to sell something.  He looks on the market and sees the current prices for that item.  He can either lower the price to get a sale or keep it the same if the item is worth that.  The market is a much better negotiator than any one person.

No more "Price check on so and so" which no one ever answers.

Usually in this instance if a few people start selling low the item actually will get bought up by those that know the real value and then sold for that value with a small amount of profit for doing so (thats the whole playing the market that people often do in mmos) and currently happens invisibly even now.  This tends to level out the value of items.

One also has to ask if you want platinum why you dont just buy it from DE (presuming you actually can do so) and actually help support the game rather than expecting others to do that for you.  Sure in some cases some payers cant buy platinum from DE (for various reasons), and a market will go a longer way to actually help all of those players rather than the few that put up with the trading chat.

If everyone sells low, no one wants to risk buying all the items in low prices and then wait for them to go up later.

Also I enjoy trading for plat and at the same time not using my own money and I currently have enough to buy slots for all the warframe I want to keep. I find that using real money to buy plat is just a way to skip the in-game content and will make me be bored of this game faster than having a goal to reach so I can keep playing this game.

snip me harder

Dude, this wall-o-texts no one actually reads. And latin... please... its so OP, no one can argue with a post with Latin... or so 13 yo boys think at least.

I already stated, that I`m not against your idea, dunno why you so against my short and wise posts...  ;-(

Not over distribution.  Actual distribution.  One of the best things about a market, just like EQ has or had (I have played in years) will be the ability to sell loads of small items that no one sells nows.  Ember helm bp?  No one advertises it because it isn't worth much and since people can only advertise every 2 minutes no one adds it.  Same thing with tons of prime parts and low cost mods.  This will let players sell those things for a change.

The market negotiates prices.  Someone wants to sell something.  He looks on the market and sees the current prices for that item.  He can either lower the price to get a sale or keep it the same if the item is worth that.  The market is a much better negotiator than any one person.

No more "Price check on so and so" which no one ever answers.

I mean actual trading offers. I have at least 20 Reaper handles, they can be sold, but they are daum common. So adding them to AH system will lead to thousands of offers, that will be way more than demand. 

Other than that you`re right.

Dude, this wall-o-texts no one actually reads. And latin... please... its so OP, no one can argue with a post with Latin... or so 13 yo boys think at least.

I already stated, that I`m not against your idea, dunno why you so against my short and wise posts...  ;-(

It's not my fault you have a short attention span.  At least it makes sense why you were totally failing to understand anything I typed - you don't bother reading it.  I only use Latin that's in common use in English, but it's ironic that you follow up dismissing Latin because of ad hominem with an actual ad hominem.  

I disagree with your posts because you repeatedly showed ignorance of what I was actual saying (apparently because you didn't read them).  You confuse issues, interject randomly, and add nothing whatsoever to the discussion besides insults and poor reasoning.

However, you did suggest that personal attacks mean your arguments have no weight, and since you keep using them... perhaps that was your way of telling me you had no point.

It's not my fault you have a short attention span.  At least it makes sense why you were totally failing to understand anything I typed - you don't bother reading it.  I only use Latin that's in common use in English, but it's ironic that you follow up dismissing Latin because of ad hominem with an actual ad hominem.  

I disagree with your posts because you repeatedly showed ignorance of what I was actual saying (apparently because you didn't read them).  You confuse issues, interject randomly, and add nothing whatsoever to the discussion besides insults and poor reasoning.

However, you did suggest that personal attacks mean your arguments have no weight, and since you keep using them... perhaps that was your way of telling me you had no point.

I really start to think that you have some issues, mate... sorry that my posts making you work so hard to prove me a bad guy. My appologizes, and may the light of my wisdom and experience in modding and MMO trading will guide you through the dark you`re now in.

Its clear that not only you dont have any knowledge about trading and especially trading of digital items, but also have some issues with logic... 

I`ll say it last time and after that I`ll just ignore your poor attempts to argue with knowledge and experience:

1. AH in MMO generally means 3 things - buyout price, house tax, trade limit per  number of items on AH. There is no need to argue with that, its a rule, that everyone approves and uses (WoW, Perfect World, Guild Wars 1/2, SW:TOR & etc.)

2. AH in MMO is not the same as RL AH - simply because items vary in value for different groups of people, Dota players may know about WF items, but will value them less even if they have full knowledge of their value to another group. Though RL items always have worth, recognized by all participants, regardless of their knowledge of items value.

3. AH in MMO generally have infinite stock of items and almost always oversupply, excluding unobtainables, which leads to overall drop in price over time, this will almost never happen to IRL items. Even if their demand drops, they wont loose 80-90% in price.

4. Most of your suggestions only good for consoles, PC doesnt have a problem with typing messages and browsing long listings. And what you call 'listing' is a basic feature of any MMO AH (call it GTN, Trade Guild, Classic WoW AH, doesnt matter), your base argument is that what you suggest is not AH, I really coudnt care less how to call it, be it Tenno Trading Kiosk or Darvo HUB and Drinks, I care about its features and usability.

5. Last thing -  Margaritas ante Porcas

Have a nice day, Po mate!

Had to reread back, seems okay

but the way you expresses yourself is a bit bad :(, you are right and he's also right you've been ignoring what he said and he's also misunderstanding your points.

The problem is that for some reason he dont like word auction aka AH. I told many times that I have nothing against his idea in general, but dude started the flame... 

No one is wrong on the internets (sic!)

Edited by Vicious_D

Since no-one seems to have mentioned Firefall's player market so far, I'll say a few words on it (as I'd like to see something similar in Warframe).

First off, Firefall has three tiers of currency, not just two. Crystite (blue crystals) which drop from mobs, are a by-product when refining resources (iron ore to iron bars and so on) and can be found in loot crates. This is the base currency needed for crafting and other account-bound stuff (buying medkits and so on). Crystite can be exchanged for Credits (fixed rate of 25:1), with a daily limit. Credits are used for certain tasks (removing mods from weapons and abilities) and for trade between players. And then there's pay-currency, Red Beans. Red Beans can be bought from other players for Credits (usual rate is 100:1, but it's a stock exchange, so prices can vary).

In theory, you can sell anything in the player market (however, weapons and abilities become account-bound the first time you use them and can't be traded any more), even raw materials like iron ore. But since weapons and abilities come in different grades, no-one is going to buy white (grade 0) or green (grade 1) stuff, only blue (grade 2) or purple (grade 3), so there's no point in listing them, just like you wouldn't bother listing a sentinel ability.

Their player market is really well done. You have different categories for weapons, abilities, mods, resources and so on. In those categories, you can search for an item's name, level-range, ... I'm not 100% sure, but I think every single item in the game is listed in the market by default. If you find what you're looking for, you are shown all offers for that item (1 at 100, 2 at 101, 1 at 105, 4 at 110, ...). If you don't like the price or no-one is currently selling that item, you can place your own buy-order (and see the prices that other players want to buy that item for).

If you decide to list an item on the market, the game automatically sets the lowest current sell-price, but allows you to change it. You are also shown all buy-offers, so you can decide if you really want to list that weapon for 250 credits and wait until someone buys it or list it for 200 credits and get rid of it instantly. Just like on Steam, items listed in the market are removed from your inventory until they are either sold or returned to you (listings only last for 90 days). Exchange of item and money goes via the ingame mail system (just like Grineer and Corpus send us our battlepay or Lotus sends us event rewards).

I haven't played it for long, but the only time I've seen the market go bananas was, when they had a week-long event that allowed you to earn 500 credits per day just by participating. Because everyone took that offer, prices for sought-after items (pilot licenses, comparable to Prime warframes, vehicles and other permanent items) inflated like crazy. So as long as DE refrains from doing something that stupid ("Do just one event mission per day and you'll get 10 plat"), we'll be safe.

Edited by Bibliothekar

Since no-one seems to have mentioned Firefall's player market so far, I'll say a few words on it (as I'd like to see something similar in Warframe).

First off, Firefall has three tiers of currency, not just two. Crystite (blue crystals) which drop from mobs, are a by-product when refining resources (iron ore to iron bars and so on) and can be found in loot crates. This is the base currency needed for crafting and other account-bound stuff (buying medkits and so on). Crystite can be exchanged for Credits (fixed rate of 25:1), with a daily limit. Credits are used for certain tasks (removing mods from weapons and abilities) and for trade between players. And then there's pay-currency, Red Beans. Red Beans can be bought from other players for Credits (usual rate is 100:1, but it's a stock exchange, so prices can vary).

In theory, you can sell anything in the player market (however, weapons and abilities become account-bound the first time you use them and can't be traded any more), even raw materials like iron ore. But since weapons and abilities come in different grades, no-one is going to buy white (grade 0) or green (grade 1) stuff, only blue (grade 2) or purple (grade 3), so there's no point in listing them, just like you wouldn't bother listing a sentinel ability.

Their player market is really well done. You have different categories for weapons, abilities, mods, resources and so on. In those categories, you can search for an item's name, level-range, ... I'm not 100% sure, but I think every single item in the game is listed in the market by default. If you find what you're looking for, you are shown all offers for that item (1 at 100, 2 at 101, 1 at 105, 4 at 110, ...). If you don't like the price or no-one is currently selling that item, you can place your own buy-order (and see the prices that other players want to buy that item for).

If you decide to list an item on the market, the game automatically sets the lowest current sell-price, but allows you to change it. You are also shown all buy-offers, so you can decide if you really want to list that weapon for 250 credits and wait until someone buys it or list it for 200 credits and get rid of it instantly. Just like on Steam, items listed in the market are removed from your inventory until they are either sold or returned to you (listings only last for 90 days). Exchange of item and money goes via the ingame mail system (just like Grineer and Corpus send us our battlepay or Lotus sends us event rewards).

I haven't played it for long, but the only time I've seen the market go bananas was, when they had a week-long event that allowed you to earn 500 credits per day just by participating. Because everyone took that offer, prices for sought-after items (pilot licenses, comparable to Prime warframes, vehicles and other permanent items) inflated like crazy. So as long as DE refrains from doing something that stupid ("Do just one event mission per day and you'll get 10 plat"), we'll be safe.

What you wrote here is a classic MMO AH, instead there is a 3-mod currency. But they dont interfere with each other, except in trading. Each currency has its own tasks.

Warframe is nothing different from MMO projects, only except from open world gameplay. We have IRL currency for general purposes and cosmetics - platinum. We have ingame currency for supplies and craft - credits. Currency of Interest (CI) - platinum. 

Everything else - listings of all items, search, CI trading - this is all basic functions. What I DO want from AH in Warframe is what we dont have now - trading for Credits.

Traders are so obsessed with platinum, that they cant even think that items can be sold for creds between players. I`d love to sell prime parts and mods on the AH for creds, I need it. Most likely I`m not alone in that need.

PS For anyone else, who hates word AH - I`m using it to not to create confusion. Because we already HAVE Market in Warframe. DE Market.   

Edited by Vicious_D

Trading post.

List item, list what you want for it, it takes it out of your inventory and it either sells or it doesn't.

its not rocket science.

And who will deliver items from Liset to a Trading Post? Rocket Companions! Go-go rocket science :D

I'd be all for a way to post items/mods to some sort of auction house so long as we're still able to trade as well.  But that's coming from someone who despises Trade chat and takes the cynical view of people against an AH want to continue gouging people for plat.

First off, Firefall has three tiers of currency, not just two.

Three levels of currency is silly.  Trading for specific items for plat only is perfectly reasonable for a free game.

The market didn't go bananas.  The publisher increased the supply of money and inflation took over until the currency stabilized.  That worked out exactly like it should have.

I just want to point something out. There's no such thing as overpaying, getting 'gouged' for plat, or 'scamming high prices'.

No tradeable item in warframe has a fixed baseline or static value. It is entirely up to what you want to pay versus what the seller wants to charge.

YOU choose whether to meet the seller's price or not. No one is forcing you to buy things.

Full disclosure before people scream about me being a gouger: I don't sell things. At all. I dislike the process, I dislike the spam timer in /trade, and dealing with traders can be unpleasant. I have bought a few things, that's it. But I didn't pay exorbitant prices for anything I bought; I got an idea of the general price by watching trade, bidding low, and being patient.

Learning about online trading is something any MMO player is going to have to learn sooner or later; try haggling for the prices you want and having a discussion with the seller. And be totally willing to walk if they won't budge.

You won't be able to do any of that if there is an AH. It will be take it or leave it.

Everything else - listings of all items, search, CI trading - this is all basic functions. What I DO want from AH in Warframe is what we dont have now - trading for Credits.

Traders are so obsessed with platinum, that they cant even think that items can be sold for creds between players. I`d love to sell prime parts and mods on the AH for creds, I need it. Most likely I`m not alone in that need.

PS For anyone else, who hates word AH - I`m using it to not to create confusion. Because we already HAVE Market in Warframe. DE Market.   

Never gonna happen and it shouldn't.  Credits are more plentiful than plat and you don't want to buy plat.  You want to use credits.  Meanwhile you're forgetting that the game is 100% free to play and purchasing plat is how the publisher gets paid.

Learning about online trading is something any MMO player is going to have to learn sooner or later; try haggling for the prices you want and having a discussion with the seller. And be totally willing to walk if they won't budge.

You won't be able to do any of that if there is an AH. It will be take it or leave it.

Of course the buyer will still be able to do that.

They won't be able to haggle, but who cares?  The collective market is in infinitely more effective haggler than anyone.

The mods, prime parts, weapon parts, and so on are a commodity.  It doesn't matter if I purchase a mag prime helm from a level 5 player or a level 17.  It's the same part.

Player wants to sell a item.

He looks on the market to see the going prices for the item.  No more burning the 2 limit timer by asking for a PC.

He decides if the lowest price is worth the time and trouble that he needed to obtain the item.

He then prices the item at a higher price, the same price, or a lower price.

He forgets about the item and plays the game.

A buyer wants to buy and item.

He types in "mag prime helm" and he sees all of the specific items for sale.  No more trying to find the item in a s sea of "BUY MY SERRATION 5 MOD.  CONTACT ME FOR AMM DRUM.  RHINO CHASSIS 40P.  PM ME FOR SALE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"  posts.  I really hate those.

He then finds the lowest price and buys the item if he has the plat and wants the item.

Right there is your haggling.  Right there is your lowest price.  No more price checks.  No more prices 400% above what everyone else is selling the item.  No more "learning the market" and continually asking other players what an item is worth.  No more receiving "I want 80p for this item" then the guy drops to 25p because the seller wants to take advantage of someone who doesn't know the prices.

No more "failing to join" dojo messages.

And the biggest benefit of all?  No more replies of "OFFER PLS."  I really really really hate those.

Let DE require a a plat tax on every trade.  Min of 1 plat per trade would be perfectly acceptable and it would be hugely successful.

There are no disadvantages to a market.  None.

What I want to avoid is the AH phenomenon where common items are 1p, and anything rare is overinflated.

If it turns out that rare items aren't actually rare enough to be overinflated, great- until DE decides that isn't good enough and changes the drop rates. You can be certain that they will look a this if getting Prime frames and items is vastly cheaper and easier than getting regular frames in the Market.

That in itself makes not having an AH a good idea.

edit: Look, I get it- dealing with player sellers is slow and sometimes frustrating. I completely agree. But I prefer the present system because the prices are generally agreeable if you can be a little patient. What I don't want is to give DE a reason to massage prices in the player economy, because, let's face it, do you really want player econ pricing to become more in line with official Market pricing? I sure don't.

Edited by Dwarfstar

<snip>

There are no disadvantages to a market.  None.

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.00000000000007

Considering the tookit the Devs already have:

Creating a player market should be no more than a 12hr job to design, code, test and implement.

Not that I would rush it out.

Mistakes can always be made.

So the testing process should be drawn out (in-house) for a few weeks.

Since this is something that's very hard to "correct" once in play.

The only real sticking points are what "fees" to charge players for using the market.

Not that it's really neccissary, but it seems to be the model.

Devs love removing money from the economy. They think it helps with inflaton.

And how long items should stay up for sale.

I vote 7~10 days.

Though players would vote 1~3 days out of knee-jerk "that OTHER game did it" reflex.

But really, the only pushback I see in player compaling that they just paid "X" to install a trading hub in their dojo and would resent the 'apparant' uselessness of it. Forgetting that it still serves as a direct method for regulated p2p trades.

What I want to avoid is the AH phenomenon where common items are 1p, and anything rare is overinflated.

If it turns out that rare items aren't actually rare enough to be overinflated, great- until DE decides that isn't good enough and changes the drop rates. You can be certain that they will look a this if getting Prime frames and items is vastly cheaper and easier than getting regular frames in the Market.

That in itself makes not having an AH a good idea.

edit: Look, I get it- dealing with player sellers is slow and sometimes frustrating. I completely agree. But I prefer the present system because the prices are generally agreeable if you can be a little patient. What I don't want is to give DE a reason to massage prices in the player economy, because, let's face it, do you really want player econ pricing to become more in line with official Market pricing? I sure don't.

Undercutting, taxes and post time limits will always keep prices from getting too high.

You're not going to see X item for 400p with 50 copys on sale indefinatly.

Also, if a class of items are only getting posted and sold for 1p ... THAT IS WHAT THEY ARE WORTH.

Nobody is gonna get rich selling a pile of trash unless the market itself is constructed to allow such advantage.

In a fair market, you can't price gouge for common items, essentials or garbage.

Never gonna happen and it shouldn't.  Credits are more plentiful than plat and you don't want to buy plat.  You want to use credits.  Meanwhile you're forgetting that the game is 100% free to play and purchasing plat is how the publisher gets paid.

We`ll just see about that. Personally I think its  agood idea. And mate - of all people I know the best, that devs need to get their cut from platinum sales. What you`re missing - they get pretty much by selling PA, so I`m and people like me are main supporters of warframe. And if people, who are willing to pay +150$ every 2-3 months saying that trading for creds is good idea... you should listen to them.

@Dwarfstar

It was said dozens of times - Market will be shaked hard if\when AH will be implemented. Most of todays "bargain" traders will leave warframe or switch to rare items trading. But generally its a good thing. Thousands of prime parts eating dust in people inventories will finally get a release.

And if people wont be willing to sell it for 1 plat, they just might be willing to sell it for 50-100k creds. Because why not?

PS I have to farm hard, because I`m leveling my mods myself and spending about a 2 million each week. I`d gladly buy credits instead of farming them.

Edited by Vicious_D

That would never happen.  If something is common enough then it would sell for 1p.  It's all supply and demand.  An item sells for a certain price.  If that price is high enough for the time and trouble to obtain it then more people will farm it.  As more people farm it, it drops in price because supply increases.  So many items will drop to 1p because of the supply.

But that is a great thing.  A wonderful thing.

I have a ton of those items that will never sell because I'm not going to advertise those items every 2 minutes.  So I can put those items on the market at 1 or 2 plat and people will buy them as they need them.

Rare prices for things will never be inflated because of the same reason; supply and demand.

Let's use the example of "Bite."

Bite used to sell for 200p, 300p, and I even saw it at 600p.

In a market, let's say the first few people advertised it at 300p.

Someone gets one and thinks "Bite at 300p isn't selling.  I just want the plat and he puts it up at 250p.  Then it sells.

Then the other sellers at 300 notice it isn't selling but 250 is.  So a few will lower the price.

So the price is now 250p.

The supply will increase and someone will think "I just want the plat" and he'll price it at 220p.

This drive in price will continue until the rarity, time, and trouble of obtaining the items matches the rarity, time, and trouble of other similar items.

The prices will never be overinflated because it isn't in a collective interest to having an inflated price.

Meanwhile, things like legendary cores have continued to increase because of supply and demand.

You can be certain that they will look a this if getting Prime frames and items is vastly cheaper and easier than getting regular frames in the Market.

Do you know how else they could solve that part of the problem? Mastery requirement on Prime stuff. If you need Mastery 8 to build and use a Prime frame, you have to get the regular counterpart and a few others first to get to that point. They could make an exception for Prime Access and it won't hurt their sales, maybe even boost them slightly.