Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How About An Auction House?

Nelkeel

I played Everquest back in the days people would hang out in a certain area, and just broadcast sales to the entire zone.  Trading required tracking them down in person and swapping items.  Eventually an expansion brought a player market.  I never thought I'd be backtracking to a similar system without an actual market that involves staring at a chat box instead of actually playing the game.  Much less, without a keyboard... :/

I used to play EQ as well and I would spend a good part of each saturday doing exactly that.  Stay put in that courtyard and trade.  I used a separate computer to check EQPrices.com.  So between that site and my own knowledge, I only got burned a couple times.  With warframe, I decided at the beginning I wasn't going to waste a day simply trading and this was before I knew how backwards trading was in WF with the speed reading of the tells, not being able to right-click on a name in the listing, having to go to a dojo without a join failure, not being able to stay in a dojo to check inventory, and so on and on.  I decided I was going to spend my time playing and simply buy what I needed when I could.

This, exactly.  I think people are familiar with the term "Auction House" from WoW because it's the game with such a mechanic that has the most market penetration.  I think people are most interested in the aggregated item listings and convenience factor rather than the "auction/bid" function that particular institution has.  Even games with particularly robust markets/economies (like EVE online) don't necessarily do an auction thing.  People lose track of what "auctions" actually are, and just assume player market = auction house I think.

I played Everquest back in the days people would hang out in a certain area, and just broadcast sales to the entire zone.  Trading required tracking them down in person and swapping items.  Eventually an expansion brought a player market.  I never thought I'd be backtracking to a similar system without an actual market that involves staring at a chat box instead of actually playing the game.  Much less, without a keyboard... :/

100% THIS.

Right now we have a /shout, track, trade, system that is woefully inefficient and promotes duplicity and exclusionary practices. Say you're a known member of a rival alliance and you get blackballed in the trade chat, or happen to catch a bit of lag during the process and the trade falls through because the other guy gets impatient.

Things need to move forwards, not backwards. +1

still not gonna stop douchebag people that rip you off

If you have a complete selection of all the douchebags in Warframe that are selling Taco Power, then they either collectively rip you off or you can pick the low price among them.  A market is a step up for the consumer with respect to purchasing compared to a random sampling of whoever is selling whatever in the timeframe you choose to view trade chat.

I don't see why anyone would even want an auction.  A 'straight consignment' (I'd just call it a regular market, really) is a perfectly good solution to the current issues our system has.  It's relatively simple to program as well.  I wouldn't want the devs OR the players to have to deal with the complications of any actual auction system.

Oh btw... I would still insist on a 10~20 sale record for each item sold, to help regulate/normalize prices.

Absolutely not, whether it's an Auction House or a Market, it will destroy the economy to the point everything is worth 1 plat. People will undercut just to sell faster, eventually It will take 20 Crimson Dervish to get 20 plat.

Not if there are set limits to how low or how high you can make the price. Even better would be for DE just to set permanent price tags to everything the only thing this would hurt is those players that sell higher because the item is new.

Z4KIVYm.jpg

On March 18 2014 the numbers read over 7.8million registered tenno. Of these tenno, 2053 tenno voted and only 1495 (115 undecided) of them said yes. This is a miniscule amount of tenno. Due to the sheer number of tenno we can not say that this trend is likey to continue.

https://warframe.com/news/warframe-numbers

Edited by Postal_pat

On March 18 2014 the numbers read over 7.8million registered tenno. Of these tenno, 2053 tenno voted and only 1495 (115 undecided) of them said yes. This is a miniscule amount of tenno. Due to the sheer number of tenno we can not say that this trend is likey to continue.

I imagine only a fraction of registered tenno are actually 'active' tenno.  Surveys generally rely on random sampling.  Even with what you regard as a "small" sample, the margin is so high that the difference is significant.

And only 294 people said no. 

Over 1000 people voted.  That is a pretty reasonable sample size.  The trend is likely to continue.

Absolutely not, whether it's an Auction House or a Market, it will destroy the economy to the point everything is worth 1 plat. People will undercut just to sell faster, eventually It will take 20 Crimson Dervish to get 20 plat.

Then that's what a mod or some other item is worth.  Why are you so dead set on keeping prices artificially high?  I'll bet you're one of those people that always replies with "Make offer."

Not needed.  The actual prices would do fine.  No need for a trend report.

A trend report becomes useful in two cases beyond that:

A: if there are no matching items are up for sale at the time.

B: dissuades somebody from buying up items to corner the market at a higher price.

It's always better to have more information than less information.

((Even if some information is only available to developers.))

Edited by holyicon

Guest Tehnoobshow

Problem with Auction Houses: YOU CAN SEE ALL OFFERS FOR AN ITEM

This means that sellers will continually undercut each other until the price for max rank mods is at the lowest acceptable price of around 5~10p.

This also means that buyers will immediately buy the lowest offer, and force sellers to do the above.

Solution: KEEP ALL TRADE OFFERS HIDDEN AND ONLY ALLOW PLAYERS TO SET THE PRICE THEY WANT TO BUY/SELL AT (THE GRAND EXCHANGE SYSTEM FROM RUNESCAPE)

Edited by Tehnoobshow

This means that sellers will continually undercut each other until the price for max rank mods is at the lowest acceptable price of around 5~10p.

This also means that buyers will immediately buy the lowest offer, and force sellers to do the above.

Solution: KEEP ALL TRADE OFFERS HIDDEN AND ONLY ALLOW PLAYERS TO SET THE PRICE THEY WANT TO BUY/SELL AT (THE GRAND EXCHANGE SYSTEM FROM RUNESCAPE)

Eh.... that's economics for you.  These things have a way of working themselves out.  I think sellers tend to press for as much as possible as-is, and buyers tend to have no frame of reference.  An actual market is more consumer-friendly, less prone to favoring predatory sellers.  People may try to sell really low, but if they keep the current system in place, there'll still be fixed credit costs based on rarity attached to sales.  If listings are limited by mastery rank and require credits to post, then I think that will help keep prices from bottoming out.  

Honestly though, there's no way prices wouldn't drop.  A lot of people don't bother selling things now BECAUSE it's such a huge pain in the arse.  You have to figure a more user-friendly system will allow more people to dip their foot in the waters of the market.  If some things (Ember Prime Blueprints, whatever) are basically held in gigantic stacks in some persons inventory, then they there'll be a huge glut of items put on the market from people who didn't want to go through the teeth-pulling current sales process.

So, yes, prices will drop.  That just stands to reason with the market becoming more accessible.

The current trade chat "system" sucks. It just really sucks. Right now I'm sitting on a huge pile of prime parts and rare mods because sitting in trade chat, waiting for that 2-minute counter to tick down so I can copy-paste my spiel, is the most boring thing ever invented. Trying to use trade forums is worse—I play Warframe when I have time to, I'm busy and I don't want to have to set reminders for myself to log on to get a trade done.

We need need need some form of automated trade system, where players with something to sell can make them available and players who are interested can find what they want and buy it. Yes, doing this will mean that prices will drop. You know what? That will give you more time to play, which will result in having more stuff to sell. 

too much simplified, it also depend of the conditions of the house

That's not a problem.  That's a benefit.  Supply and demand.

I'll never understand why some people continue to argue for the prices to stay artificially high.

A few people, not necessarily the poster I'll replying to, state that a market will screw with prices or the economy.  When I or others ask for an example, they are always quiet. 

I'll never understand why some people continue to argue for the prices to stay artificially high.

A few people, not necessarily the poster I'll replying to, state that a market will screw with prices or the economy.  When I or others ask for an example, they are always quiet. 

They want to keep it artificially high so they can keep ripping people off, period.

One more thing that a market will bring.

The ability to easily sell "trash" mods.

I have a ton of mods that I generally won't sell.  Why?  Because they are too much trouble to sell.  Why would I want to spend my time limited selling post to mention odds and ends of armor BPs and lesser know parts?  I can't list them and I'm not going through the HUGE HASSLE of 3 or 4 minutes of chatting and going to the dojo for a plat or 2.  Just too much of a pain in the butt.

However, if I could list "Mag Prime Helm for whatever", forget it, have the item sold even if I'm not online, then get the plat then that's perfect!

BTW, add in a plat tax.  5% or 10% plat tax with a minimum of 1.  I'd still sell everything in the market.

Seriously. Adding an auction house won't wreck the Warframe economy, it will create a Warframe economy. The impedence to trade imposed by the current 'system' means that the player economy is severely stunted compared to what it might otherwise be.