Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How Some Weapons Should Look?

Insidiatorii

Most weapons look like they are ceramic or made of plastic! Why?? Where are the awesome shiny looking weapons? Ya' know the ones with the awesome shimmer of the perfectly sharpened blade with that Grineer/Corpus/Infected blood running off of it? Who else wants to see this??

Chikara13.jpg

Watashi_no_Katana_by_Neni.jpg

(Just some examples, and I haven't really seen the blade of the Nikana or Dragon Nikana so idk about that one)

It all depends on the colors you use. Some colors make it look like shiny metal, others make it look like plastic, etc.

Though this is true, it's only half of it. Not many things in the game uses cubemap reflections to simulate polished and tempered metal blades, and as a result, they can easily look plastic/ceramic-ish.

In fact, the only equipment that seems to use such cubemap textures are prime golds and the unrecolorable shiny section of Skana/Dual Skana. All the rest simply relies on shiny speculars, which actually doesn't simulate metallic blades very well.

Edited by Casardis

(Just some examples, and I haven't really seen the blade of the Nikana or Dragon Nikana so idk about that one)

You haven't seen the blade of it because you're cutting things so fast there's no blood to worry about on the blade :P

Really, I agree on some things and disagree on others. Sometimes, I can make a blade with the colors I have available look flat out like something hanging on my wall - but the real trick is less what we do with it and more how the light plays with it, kinda like Casardis was saying (except way more technical then I could ever).

Guns though? Man, I can make most of those look look like something in my safe with the right shade of black/white and some wood-brown color.