Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Where Do Longswords Fit In

RIOT

well I thought I would make and try out all the melee weapons I got from alert missions (which is all of them except for the heat dagger and jaw sword)

and as far as it seems. all the dual weapons / heavy wepons out shine the longswords and the single handed daggers.

heres what i've noticed

both the dark dagger and the ceramic dagger pale in comparison to fang daggers.

yes their damage is 25 but they can't seem to match fang in DPS terms. on top of that their animation is kinda awkward looking (mostly in the ceramic dagger for some reason)

the heatsword though it does 35 damage. it doesn't ignore armor like the dual ethers or hit multiple targets in one hit.

out of all the alert swords I've used the only ones that even seem remotely viable are the plasma and the dark sword for thier high crit chance and high charge damage, I still haven't used the dual zorens so for all I know they might not be viable compared to the zorens.

so I ask... why do we have these if we can use something better suited.

what to kill infested? use a heavy blade based weapon or dual swords

want to kill grinner? use fang or dual ether sword or fragor

want to kill corpus? use dual ether swords so you Don't lose damage from thier armor (crewman take 19% less damage from normal attack)

as far as I tell I can't see where a longsword would fit it which is kinda sad cause I REALLLY like the designs of the longswords

maybe they are just their for the cool factor?

TL:DR what the title is

well I thought I would make and try out all the melee weapons I got from alert missions (which is all of them except for the heat dagger and jaw sword)

and as far as it seems. all the dual weapons / heavy wepons out shine the longswords and the single handed daggers.

heres what i've noticed

both the dark dagger and the ceramic dagger pale in comparison to fang daggers.

yes their damage is 25 but they can't seem to match fang in DPS terms. on top of that their animation is kinda awkward looking (mostly in the ceramic dagger for some reason)

the heatsword though it does 35 damage. it doesn't ignore armor like the dual ethers or hit multiple targets in one hit.

out of all the alert swords I've used the only ones that even seem remotely viable are the plasma and the dark sword for thier high crit chance and high charge damage, I still haven't used the dual zorens so for all I know they might not be viable compared to the zorens.

so I ask... why do we have these if we can use something better suited.

what to kill infested? use a heavy blade based weapon or dual swords

want to kill grinner? use fang or dual ether sword or fragor

want to kill corpus? use dual ether swords so you Don't lose damage from thier armor (crewman take 19% less damage from normal attack)

as far as I tell I can't see where a longsword would fit it which is kinda sad cause I REALLLY like the designs of the longswords

maybe they are just their for the cool factor?

TL:DR what the title is

I still use longswords. By far easier to play with imo. Heavy is slow while duals are... crap. Crap as in that you cannot adjust how you want to attack with unless you play charged. Longswords are ideally designed towards being a jack of all trades anyway.

• 5 months later...

I agree that longswords are outperformed by dual weapons and heavy weapons.  Do they do better dps to single enemies in some cases?  Sure, but not enough to justify their lack of flexibility when dealing with multiple opponents imho, and the fact that they lose to the heavy charge weapons in terms of raw damage output, especially with charge speed and damage mods.

Especially with the Galatine out, which along with the Orthos Prime, makes pretty much any single weapon look like crap.  I don't see why single weapons can't hit at least 2-3 targets and have superior single target dps compared to dual weapons or even 2-handers.  I mean a significant amount of better dps, enough to make someone pause and reconsider before they equip their Dual Zorens or Galatine if they're heading into a boss fight or something.