Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Childhood Songs?

noveltyhero

Hey guys,

I am wondering what childhood songs you guys grew up with? I am one of the luckier of the latest generations because I grew up with:

Early Eminem-Lose yourself:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmXumtgwtak

(not that great but this style became great influence in all latin countries anyway) Gasolina by Daddy y Yankee:

and even Rihanna, I still remember hearing her on radio and singing umbrella like I was demented XD

What was yours?

PS. old music from 60-90s was always heard from parents and grandparents so had that in me too!

I grew up listening to the local "Oldies" station; if we were in the car, Oldies was on the radio.

Three Dog Night, The Temptations, The Mamas and the Papas, Earth Wind and Fire, The Lovin' Spoonful, Credence Clearwater Revival, Fleetwood Mac...

At home, it was either classical music or something from Dad's collection - Randy Newman, Spike Jones and his City Slickers, Steely Dan, The Doobie Brothers, Bob Dylan, The Guess Who - these are Vinyls, incidentally. I still have that old SOUNDESIGN combo cassette/stereo/record player.

I listened to mainstream radio right up until about middle school, at which point girls were more interested if you could claim to have some kind of unusual taste. My first "gotta have everything they make" experience was the White Stripes.

High School! I did what any self-respecting privileged private school teen who was angry at life for no good reason would do, and I picked up stuff like The Mars Volta, 30 Seconds to Mars and The Cold War Kids.

Since then, I've just let my taste wander around wherever it wants to go. I would call myself an "enlightened hipster." I keep everything that markets itself as "popular" at a safe distance, until I decide it's worth sampling for my own personal interest.

I can't get into most of what is considered to be popular in music. To me, "artists" like Pitbull and Rihanna don't really have any lessons to teach except for how not to run your personal life, and it's extremely hard to find any artistic value in the product - even when there is some - if millions of voices are crowding the discussion with nonsense. I'm interested in music for the learning experience; I want to hear a new idea, or an old idea presented in a new way.

Here's an example of something I really like. The choice of key and arrangement of vocal harmonies really gives listeners room to join in and entertain themselves by making some sweet sounds. Plus, there's LARPing.

Edited by notlamprey

I grew up listening to the local "Oldies" station; if we were in the car, Oldies was on the radio.

Three Dog Night, The Temptations, The Mamas and the Papas, Earth Wind and Fire, The Lovin' Spoonful, Credence Clearwater Revival, Fleetwood Mac...

At home, it was either classical music or something from Dad's collection - Randy Newman, Spike Jones and his City Slickers, Steely Dan, The Doobie Brothers, Bob Dylan, The Guess Who - these are Vinyls, incidentally. I still have that old SOUNDESIGN combo cassette/stereo/record player.

I listened to mainstream radio right up until about middle school, at which point girls were more interested if you could claim to have some kind of unusual taste. My first "gotta have everything they make" experience was the White Stripes.

High School! I did what any self-respecting privileged private school teen who was angry at life for no good reason would do, and I picked up stuff like The Mars Volta, 30 Seconds to Mars and The Cold War Kids.

Since then, I've just let my taste wander around wherever it wants to go. I would call myself an "enlightened hipster." I keep everything that markets itself as "popular" at a safe distance, until I decide it's worth sampling for my own personal interest.

I can't get into most of what is considered to be popular in music. To me, "artists" like Pitbull and Rihanna don't really have any lessons to teach except for how not to run your personal life, and it's extremely hard to find any artistic value in the product - even when there is some - if millions of voices are crowding the discussion with nonsense. I'm interested in music for the learning experience; I want to hear a new idea, or an old idea presented in a new way.

Here's an example of something I really like. The choice of key and arrangement of vocal harmonies really gives listeners room to join in and entertain themselves by making some sweet sounds. Plus, there's LARPing.

Ahh, see I listen to the music if it gives off a positive emotive feeling. Sort of why I like Raggaeton and those kind, upbeat, fun kind of songs. Living in the UK you can easily get depressed lol :P

I do agree though to some extent on learning from songs, however nowadays we should be happy if they are neutral as a lot have steered into the negative part :S