Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee 2.0 Experience

Naqel

This is the user experience with the Melee 2.0

If you miss the timing, it's faster(and the only option really) to keep going than it is to try correcting the mistake(by breaking the chain for example).

Melee 2.0 is a conceptual failure.

Higher numbers that made melee statistically viable, came with a control scheme that offers ZERO actual control.

It's un-intuitive, with countless two-part attacks being triggered by a single input.

It's unresponsive, with no clear indications of what timing is exactly expected of the player.

And you still can't hit flying enemies, even though 90% of them were band-aided to basically scrap against the floor.

I think conceptual is the wrong word there. 

In concept, it's a fine idea. 

Perhaps I could phrase it better, but yes, my point is more along the lines of "the concept behind the implementation is flawed", not "replacing the melee system is a bad idea".

I still cannot fathom how they came up with the flawed mess we have, instead of a simple three button system instead(two types of attack+block), or something along those lines.

I still cannot fathom how they came up with the flawed mess we have, instead of a simple three button system instead(two types of attack+block), or something along those lines.

The one-button system works, the problem is the pause combos. They're incredibly hard to execute in combat, but the block+E and WASD+E combos all work well. They could also bring back charge attacks, at least for heavy weapons and only while they're equipped.

There's also the problem of the quick key being useless is melee mode. You should be able to use E to shoot your secondary while your melee is equipped. 

The only thing I'd want a second button for is a quick block while the melee is unequipped. 

I honestly see the mess of the "one-button melee combo" execution a direct result of the limited button inputs on controllers, and nothing more. That's not a slight at the consoles or the people who play them, but merely a fact. Adding more button inputs, while optimal, may not be possible for a PS4/XBone player. Just googling the PS4 control scheme shows me that there's no real room for additional inputs, even though PCs would have room to spare for this kind of functionality.

Which is just mind boggling really. Even games like PSO, which were heavy on the control scheme and never had enough buttons for Dreamcast/Gamecube controllers, at least had THREE buttons for every weapon (Light, Heavy, and Special attacks).

We really could use a different means of inputting melee combos, at the very least. I rarely see a need to switch to weapons because the Quick Melee button while holding my rifle is plenty powerful enough.

And gods can we look at Channeling please? Good concept, but the energy costs are out of control, especially if you actually want to use any channeling mods.

Edit: Oh man I am all OVER the place on this post, what happened!?

Edited by Tyrarl

I honestly see the mess of the "one-button melee combo" execution a direct result of the limited button inputs on controllers, and nothing more. That's not a slight at the consoles or the people who play them, but merely a fact. Adding more button inputs, while optimal, may not be possible for a PS4/XBone player. Just googling the PS4 control scheme shows me that there's no real room for additional inputs, even though PCs would have room to spare for this kind of functionality.

I honestly doubt this to be the case, even if they were adamant on adding the channeling system(the fact that it ties melee into another flawed system being besides the point), there were still ways to implement it, and have a two attack+block(or similar) system.

I mean, they got the entire D-pad open on the PS4, and nobody gave a damn about the Xbone when they were doing it(poor gamepad controls in general being another issue).

Edited by Naqel

There are plenty of issues with melee 2.0, not only the stuff you've mentioned.

Like the lack of gap closers and overall mobility issues, flashiness and uselessness of combos, lack of proper defense and reliance on stamina, etc.

But yeah, unreliability of combos is pretty much a cardinal sin, never had problems with this in proper action games like dmc 3/4 or revengence.

It's simple broken on so many levels.

I honestly doubt this to be the case, even if they were adamant on adding the channeling system(the fact that it ties melee into another flawed system being besides the point), there were still ways to implement it, and have a two attack+block(or similar) system.

I mean, they got the entire D-pad open on the PS4, and nobody gave a damn about the Xbone when they were doing it(poor gamepad controls in general being another issue).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the D-pad used for warframe abilities?

Though we could probably just change it to directional inputs + Melee button. Plenty of games do that, and I have to rely on it a lot in Gundam vs Gundam for different maneuvers.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the D-pad used for warframe abilities?

Though we could probably just change it to directional inputs + Melee button. Plenty of games do that, and I have to rely on it a lot in Gundam vs Gundam for different maneuvers.

I play on PC with a controller, I use 2 D-Pad buttons to switch powers, and the other 2 to either open my inventory, or mark items. Gamepad controls need a lot of polishing. I'm not able to use keyboard/mouse well because of certain issues with my disability, a controller makes it much more fun, and comfortable to play a game.