Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Open Beta Agreement. Little Shock, But Not Really A Surprise.

WingsOfGryphin

Few minutes ago i noticed that, when i started my Warframe, an Open Beta agreement poped up for the first time. 
Upon reading the agreement i understood that i have almost forgotten what Beta phase is for. 

Upon searching forums i found that very same "Rules" article that i have gotten on Warframe start up. It stated the same rules, the same rules that scared me a little. 
"5. Any experience or achievements accumulated during your time in the Open Beta may be removed or reset at any time during the Open Beta testing period. When the game is opened to the public, each player MAY be returned to novice status."

". In the event that we reset the player base (after Open Beta or otherwise) we will set your Platinum balance to the total amount previously purchased."

This game MAY reset all accounts. Which is understandable and i don't have anything against it, but all that time... farming for future investment.. Seems meaningless. 

I'm more concerned about the platinum refund. Refunding the platinum doesn't mean the prices or value of platinum won't change along with it. Your spent platinum could be worth less.

Plus it means that the FREE plats are gonna disappear. Read the quotes carefully again and you will understand what I meant.

Yeah they said on a video they wouldn't reset. I'm done with this game I think. Why play anymore if I have to do it again. Life is just too short. I mean if they had said up front before we will reset, and didn't say numerous times in various places the reset was optional, I'd have not played at all and just waited until the game went live. I definitely wouldn't have bought a founders pack. That's the part thats wrong, throwing away my time like that.

They have already stated on numerous occasions that the aforementioned reset is purely optional in nature.

This people! For all that is holy...... THIS!!!! Try not to get all freaked out over a reset. Unless they decide to completely change their minds (which is in the every right it being a beta and all), you won't get reset unless you want to.

They have already stated on numerous occasions that the aforementioned reset is purely optional in nature.

Sadly, freaking sadly, I don't think the optional part holds true anymore. They wasted peoples time because I wouldn't devote my time to something that is going to be reset, I have better things to do. I hope it is still optional, but I'm done playing until they say otherwise. The whole game and my faith in everything related just took a HUGE nosedive.

Sadly, freaking sadly, I don't think the optional part holds true anymore. They wasted peoples time because I wouldn't devote my time to something that is going to be reset, I have better things to do. I hope it is still optional, but I'm done playing until they say otherwise. The whole game and my faith in everything related just took a HUGE nosedive.

This has nothing to do with DE and more to do with your attitude now. If DE devs flatly state that they won't reset anyone by force unless technical issues arise, and the first thing you think of is DE throwing that statement out the window despite all evidence to the contrary, that's on you, not them. >_>

This has nothing to do with DE and more to do with your attitude now. If DE devs flatly state that they won't reset anyone by force unless technical issues arise, and the first thing you think of is DE throwing that statement out the window despite all evidence to the contrary, that's on you, not them. >_>

It says when you login that they might. That they'd even change that means they probably will. Their action created my reaction.

JEEZ.... you people..... They wasted NOTHING.... you had your fun, we all had ours. You don't like the idea of reset? Don't play betas then mate, if you didn't know it could happen.... it's your own fault, and it was widely known since the start.

Like any other Beta ever.... tell me something new :)

Actually a few  of the recent beta's I have played have stated that they aren't resetting/wiping chars when their game goes retail. The most recent I believe is FireFall where they stated if they did reset characters they will keep their xp, also Hawken wasn't  wiping either.

JEEZ.... you people..... They wasted NOTHING.... you had your fun, we all had ours. You don't like the idea of reset? Don't play betas then mate, if you didn't know it could happen.... it's your own fault, and it was widely known since the start.

They said the reset was optional before, even on twitter they straight out said that. I'm pretty sure in a video too, they said they had no plans to reset people at this point and that it was optional. When I heard that word optional, I continued to play, Had I known optional meant not optional at all, I'd have not played.

Like any other Beta ever.... tell me something new :)

Wrong. 

If we are talking about practical examples then EVERY F2P game has wipes (resets) at the end of closed beta. 

But then again, most of those games use Open Beta as full release, with an exception that it may contain bugs. 

Technically Beta is still a testing phase. Open Beta is first playable release state which is available for every player, meaning that in this phase servers are being tested and bug left overs are being cleaned up. Therefore proper game only starts at "Full Release", which is reasonable excuse to start fresh with all the balance changes that were done in Beta phases. 

But it's practice vs Theory. 

This is my first encounter where Open Beta still have a chance of being reset.

You're interpreting an action here when there is none. You simply have an overly pessimistic attitude, no two ways around it.

What you said is silly. They said it was optional. That would imply you didn't have to reset if you didn't want to. Therefore a reason to keep playing is created. If they had said straight out truthfully they will reset and never threw the word optional (to the player) in there, I'd have not played at all. What don't you get about this?

They said the reset was optional before, even on twitter they straight out said that. I'm pretty sure in a video too, they said they had no plans to reset people at this point and that it was optional. When I heard that word optional, I continued to play, Had I known optional meant not optional at all, I'd have not played.

You are talking about the optional reset that is going to happen with U8, and in no way they are saying that they are going to make a mandatory reset now or with Update 8. They are covering their bases and making sure people understand that a mandatory reset COULD happen, when the beta ends or at any given point they deem fit. Which is actually, nothing new and was known from the very beggining

It says when you login that they might. That they'd even change that means they probably will. Their action created my reaction.

It says that they reserve the right if they have to, because it's their game. The Open Beta terms was put out weeks ago, and the FAQ in the support page has the said same thing for months.

You are talking about the optional reset that is going to happen with U8, and in no way they are saying that they are going to make a mandatory reset now or with Update 8. They are covering their bases and making sure people understand that a mandatory reset COULD happen, when the beta ends or at any given point they deem fit. Which is actually, nothing new and was known from the very beggining

What is the incentive to play then anymore? There's absolutely none then, thanks for clarifying on DE's behalf.  Might as well wait until they move the game out of beta then.

Wrong. 

If we are talking about practical examples then EVERY F2P game has wipes (resets) at the end of closed beta. 

But then again, most of those games use Open Beta as full release, with an exception that it may contain bugs. 

Technically Beta is still a testing phase. Open Beta is first playable release state which is available for every player, meaning that in this phase servers are being tested and bug left overs are being cleaned up. Therefore proper game only starts at "Full Release", which is reasonable excuse to start fresh with all the balance changes that were done in Beta phases. 

But it's practice vs Theory. 

This is my first encounter where Open Beta still have a chance of being reset.

It is exactly as Gryphim says, and i've had the same argument before. Nowadays, there are commonly no resets in Open Betas.... because it hurts the playerbase and the community too much... and the reason behind it is what Gryphim said, the game is launched more like a game itself, and not a "beta"... just with the advice that the game is still getting balanced, upgraded and with bugs.

One thing though, even if it's not said or if it doesn't happen.... still ANY beta has the chance to get a reset, even if it's not common or if it doesnt happen

What is the incentive to play then anymore? There's absolutely none then, thanks for clarifying on DE's behalf.  Might as well wait until they move the game out of beta then.

I won't stop playing... if they eventually do a mandatory reset will i stay play? I dunno... probably not.... but i won't hate DE for that, it's their right to do so, and i have enjoyed their game for free, except for bought plat, and i have no complains. We all knew it was a Beta since the very start, you knew it too. So again, if you don't wanna risk that chance... don't play betas