Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Player-Driven Credits To/from Platinum Exchange

Zekarus

stuff

Pardon me good sir, but to continue this discourse in proper fashion I will require sources and documentation directly related to your claims.  It seems you may have mistaken the new hit application "Warframe" for an existing product with a player-driven economy.  I would respectfully advise you to reconsider such deleterious ideas.

Also any trading of credits in the first place will bring on the bots and exploits.

Thank you. Now that you actually have made a statement that is actually worth thinking about, I'd like to ask you to elaborate further. I'd also like to apologize for that downvote, if you care about those things. That post was actually worth an upvote.

In the games where such system has been established - using Guild Wars 2 and Star Trek Online as an example, as I've played them for more than 6 months - the idea is that they contribute to additional platinum being purchased, probably to sell off. Perhaps players purchasing and selling off platinum for a quick boost to cash. Perhaps buying or selling off the odd platinum.

Platinum will have to be purchased anyway to be listed. People who choose to purchase platinum probably do so to spend it (or hoard it; capitalism, ho).

As long as the demand is there, and as long as the platinum is worth selling at the market price, there will be people who purchase platinum just to sell off for the quick buck. That's what the market caters to, from a business point of view.

It's 3.40am, but I've done my best to try explain how this works. I'd also like to ask why exactly you think it won't work.

Simple fix, for example, again, could be:

a) start with 50 plat.

b) minimum amount to sell must be 51 plat.

That's one fix to the potential exploit you mentioned, albeit a half-assed one. I have a distinct feeling free 50 plat may be gone by the end of beta. Most beta do give out free premium currency to test things. But then, this is a soft-launch. Not sure if devs said anything about it.

Not a loss. The people who will buy plat will still be there, but this should open at least one other revenue - people who will buy plat for the purpose of selling.

Competition determines the price. Too many F2Pers trying to buy plat with credits should drive the prices up, and vice versa, right up until it's not worth it, and bring the price back down. There will only be so much plat (and credits) floating in the market.

I have to agree the fix is a good idea ^^

Pardon me good sir, but to continue this discourse in proper fashion I will require sources and documentation directly related to your claims.  It seems you may have mistaken the new hit application "Warframe" for an existing product with a player-driven economy.  I would respectfully advise you to reconsider such deleterious ideas.

Also any trading of credits in the first place will bring on the bots and exploits.

Your backpedalling and making excuses from  "F2P players should suck it" and "it's an entirely different game" has been noted. Perhaps if you genuinely have no real point to make... . I had my hopes up. While you're at it, please look at the section of the forum this is in. I presume this section exists to put forward suggestions for changes.

Having items and currency brings on bots and exploits. Having stats bring on bots and exploits. Your point is invalid.

Edited by DERebecca
Edited out harshness

I'm not saying F2P players should have access to everything. You can keep me out of all the cosmetical stuff, I just don't want to be penalised in-game, especially gameplay-wise, for not having access to some items.

You're not penalized. You can grind for literally everything but potatos, cosmetics stuff, and slots. And potatos and cosmetic stuff can be found as alerts and (in case of potatoes), the log in reward after 7 days of logging in.

The devs are talking about maybe giving additional slots for mastery levels too, so in the future that'll be something else you don't have to pay for.

If you need potatoes and you don't want to wait for the spinner or an alert, then drop five bucks and pay to support the game. If you need more slots, then either sell the weapons or frames you don't use, or drop five bucks and support the game. Slots and potatoes are cheap enough that you can buy a bunch of them with $5 worth of plat.

Seriously, DE is a business, so they need to make money. Microtransactions are how they do that. Five bucks is not much to ask for the enjoyment the game gives you, is it?

Which was only one-way, and is more or less irrelevant to this topic. This is about free-to-play players getting access to platinum, not people who can afford platinum to get in-game currency.

Why should f2p players get access to plat without paying? I don't understand. In almost all cases, plat is merely a way to skip grinding. The only thing of consequence you can't buy with credits or find in alerts is slots, and the devs are looking into that.

Edited by Cpl_Facehugger

It's strange that you haven't mentioned EVE online which is, arguably, the most famous type. Players can buy PLEX (items) with real-life money. A PLEX can be used to pay a month of in-game subscription, and it can also be sold in-game. It creates a strong real-life money to in-game currency economy.

Something similar, but just with platinum, would be great. People could buy Platinum to get extra credits, and people could farm extra credits to buy some Platinum.

You can already buy plat to get extra credits, just not the other way.

Seriously, DE is a business, so they need to make money. Microtransactions are how they do that. Five bucks is not much to ask for the enjoyment the game gives you, is it?

Why should f2p players get access to plat without paying? I don't understand. In almost all cases, plat is merely a way to skip grinding. The only thing of consequence you can't buy with credits or find in alerts is slots, and the devs are looking into that.

I understand you may not want to read through 3 pages of dribble. I would make changes to the first post as appropriate after I had some sleep.

DE gets platinum, because in the games this system was implemented in, it was with the "buy premium currency for the intent of selling it" in mind.

F2P players would be getting access to plat, but not without paying. Value is relative. I'm going to take the lazy approach and say "people will determine how much in-game credits are worth in relation to platinum". If it takes a week of grinding for 10 plat, so be it. Star Trek Online has a system of having to grind non-stop for around 4-6 months to buy a premium ship. So be it.

People seem to be under the impression that platinum will be cheap as dirt.

You can already buy plat to get extra credits, just not the other way.

Not anymore.
Edited by Zekarus

I understand you may not want to read through 3 pages of dribble. I would make changes to the first post as appropriate after I had some sleep.

DE gets platinum, because in the games this system was implemented in, it was with the "buy premium currency for the intent of selling it" in mind.

F2P players would be getting access to plat, but not without paying. Value is relative. I'm going to take the lazy approach and say "people will determine how much in-game credits are worth in relation to platinum". If it takes a week of grinding for 10 plat, so be it. Star Trek Online has a system of having to grind non-stop for around 4-6 months to buy a premium ship. So be it.

People seem to be under the impression that platinum will be cheap as dirt.

Is that actually a profitable business model? I'm not being facetious, I honestly don't know. The main thing is that I want DE to make money so they can keep giving us quality content and fixing bugs. If this business model really works then I'm all for it, it just seems kind of unintuitive. It feels like if they make plat acquirable with credits, nobody will buy plat, because why spend real money when you can grind for plat?

Is that actually a profitable business model? I'm not being facetious, I honestly don't know. The main thing is that I want DE to make money so they can keep giving us quality content and fixing bugs. If this business model really works then I'm all for it, it just seems kind of unintuitive. It feels like if they make plat acquirable with credits, nobody will buy plat, because why spend real money when you can grind for plat?

I wouldn't actually know. I can read their financial reports all day and not understand a thing. But there are a few free to play (and buy to play) games that has this system, including Guild Wars 2 (initial purchase, then free to play, heavy microtransaction store on bank and inventory slots, cosmetics), Star Trek Online (free to play, the currency required to purchase premium currency is capped by daily limit, vanity, some higher-tier ships, bank and inventory unlocks), Eve Online (though admittedly it's a sub-based game, but this allows for people to play a P2P game for free and for others to pad their in-game wallets).

That is what I'm basing this on, but most important thing is that this system doesn't replace the current business model at all.

The only thing this should (should) add is another group of people that will purchase platinum to sell. Not replacing the current model, but supplementing it.

Edited by Zekarus