Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Goals, Motivations And Mastery Ranks [To De]

Phoenix86

Hi all fellow Tennos,

i've came back to Warframe since 2 weeks (stopped right before U13's release) and,

altought i had many things to do (Kubrows, new frames, new weapons, new tilesets, new UI, etc)

i noticed that, in the end, once i'll have earned all those stuff, i'll find myself in the same exact situation of months ago.

Now... there's a lot of talking about "End game contents" and i dont wanna talk about it, not here.

Here i wanna talk about something that is bound to End Game but it has nothing to do with "new contents"

Mastery Rank

I'll try to not make a wall'o'text and write properly, i promise :)

The problem: "And now what?"

Yeah that's the problem, that feeling that grows inside you the more you get "everything you want"...

Let it be new weapons, forma them 35345375 times, new frames or personal records.

Once you are done, that's it.

I think DE already have the answer and it is Mastery Rank, but it's underestimated, left alone taking dust.

In any game having a "level system" would mean: Reach lvl X ---> Unlock awesome stuff Y

In warframe this concept is terribly managed:

Mastery rank weapons with absolutely no clue/sense, no practical advantage, no e-peen showoff

What's the point of being MR 15+ when everything you need is below MR9?

Hell if we wanna be honest you could be fine even with MR6 talking about weapon's efficiency!

Furthermore: "woah i've put 147465987345 hours in Warframe, i'm MR17 and yet a MR2 with a couple Prime stuff looks exactly like me wtf"

Visual satisfaction (aka e-peen showing) is really REALLY important in a videogame!

All those cosmetic stuff we can buy testify that!!

Then why a MR17 have to look like a MR2?? (a bit extreme ok, it's to give u the idea)

The Proposal: "I have to feel, to see, to show my power! To myself AND others!"

So based of these premises the Mastery Rank system already has all the means to be a successfull "end game tool"

1st:

ALL, yes ALL, weapons must be re-categorized and be unlockable at the proper MR based on their power

(we are full of calculators, math threads, tier-lists and stuff, it's not that hard to put weapons in a certain unlock's sequence).

At first it will hurt... it's inevitable, some people might lose some weapons because they are no longer in their "mastery rank range" but hey... now you have a goal! something to work toward! Unlock it!

Et voilà you made re-playability without new content and without RNG (overall) just "hard work"

[if you already own a weapon but you cant use it anymore it should be "frozen/locked" but it will keep all its formas/mods/potato installed, you'll just be not able to use it anymore until you reach the proper MR]

2nd:

We need something to show off... no way, everyone loves to show off their achievements!

We are full of cosmetics, hell make some special cosmetics that are unlockable only by reaching certain Mastery Ranks!

New armors, syndanas, skins, colors, emblems, special effects/auras... everything can be put behind MR!

You wanna look like the ultimate super-awesome Tenno?

Have you seen that MR15+ guy wearing something absolutely amazing and you absolutely want it? Go earn it!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are my proposal to improve "end game" without adding "end game"

NO RNG, NO PLATS involved... just playtime and love for the game.

Casuals will probably dislike this, but for ppl with a little bit of will power (aka dedicated players, not even hardcore ones), this will give them something to do, something to work for.

TL:DR

Please DE, improve Mastery Rank System, make it rewarding FOR REAL.

Phoenix86

people seriously need to start watching the dev streams.

The "lens" update will help out with mastery rank.

sigils that are mastery locked and look diffrent from each other

and some other goodies. coming SOON. They can only code a line at a time or draw one stroke at a time.

This idea is freaking awesome! I always thought that the idea of 'end-game' was a little nebulous and always ended up as a suggestion for new content.

I really want cool cosmetic items that would be unlockable by rank, I am pretty excited about the sigils but I want MOAR! I would some cometics that you could unlock by getting 'above average' to 'absolutely crazy' points in events or even normal missions. I think every player has one event that they are totally proud of, by doing this we could feel more accomplished in our ninja feats if it was there in its glory for the squad to see! 

The RNG in the game can be the worst part, the best parts are often the quests and rewards that don't use it. For example, I really enjoyed the 'Hidden Messages' quest as it relied upon having the right planet nodes locked and using your intelligence (unless you just looked it up in forums of course :/ ), the cyotic event because it was based on skill etc

For this reason, I think that by locking a large number of weapons and cosmetics to higher ranks would be fun and something that would get us to play more! I genuinely love this game and I have been playing since July (MR 13) so its not hard to get there really. I already like the idea of rewards for ranks like BP's, Credits, Plat discount or whatever in addition to loadout slots (which not many care about). 

So anyway, I hope that this is the main aim of DE

(Sorry Soma and Boltor Prime users! In the end, you'll just have to wait! :P)