Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Requesting Technical Aid: Hardware Woes & Intel Sorrow

-FV-Runehawk

Question

Hail, Tenno!

My predicament is this: I don’t have a very strong PC, nor do I have the funds to go out and snag me a whole new one. So I’d like to know what my priorities should be in upgrading/improving my current setup. I’m fairly certain my graphics card is integrated, and it seems to be the factor that’s hindering me the most. How would I go about installing a new card? Would Nvidia’s Geforce line or AMD’s Radeons be compatible with my setup? My technical expertise is very limited, so please hold my hand through this ordeal.  

I currently run an average of 15-18 FPS on the lowest settings. Yes, it’s bad. Here are the specs:

Model: Acer Aspire X3950 

Processor: Intel® Core i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07 GHz

RAM: 4.00 GB

Harddrive Space: 500GB

System Type: 64-bit

Other information that may or may not be relevant:

- I’ve defragmented my hard drive.

- I’ve unparked my CPUs. 

- I’ve tried using Razer’s Game Booster app, but it produces no noticeable effect. 

If you need more info, do let me know. Thank you very much for your time. 

~Runehawk

10 answers to this question

I had this PC too before i bought an Asus ROG...

I just noticed a Problem with the RAM cause i could "fill" it by only using firefox and 1 tab... So what i think is the best: just replace your 4gig RAM with an 8gig one... Helped me a lot...

I just didn't liked the performance of the System itself...

Otherwise... the processor should be alright for now.. but maybe in the future it can handle everything... so keep that in mind...

cheers! :)

EDIT:

- I’ve tried using Razer’s Game Booster app, but it produces no noticeable effect.

It had no effect to my game too...

And mybe you need to get a new GPU... The build-in one dont seem to be that good.. As seen Here

Edited by Mampfi

^ - Going from 4GB or 8GB RAM will not do much if the GPU is still so weak.

If you're still using the stock Intel GPU, then the integrated graphics are, by far, the biggest limit.

http://www.cnet.com/products/acer-aspire-x3950-u2042-core-i3-540-3-06-ghz-6-gb-1-tb/specs/

This is your model, more or less?

One issue is the size of it.  It looks small, and it's specifically noted as "small form-factor".  Chances are a decent GPU might not physically FIT inside it, let alone connectors and the GPU being strong enough.

Any chances you can take some pics of the back of the tower?

A new VGA card should be enough to play it smoothly. Maybe more RAM and better CPU if you want to host endless game modes (a lot of stuff for CPU to handle there) but better CPU usually requires new mainboard and pretty much a whole new rig.

An Nvidia GTX 960 (or an AMD card in the same price range :P) should give you good fps running max settings. I recommend setting everything to max with highest possible resolution, Vsync off and Anti-aliasing off (cause of unstable framerate).

-snip-

Thanks for replying! It seems I may have to look into a new computer after all, based on my recent findings. But I'll do some more research. The GPU seems like the biggest limiting factor in my case. >__<

-snip-

Gosh darn integrated graphics. Thanks for replying, mate. Yes, that's the model...although to be honest, I think the one I own is even smaller than that. :S I believe it's specifically referred to as a "Slim Desktop PC". 

Are you referring to to the back as in the back end of the machine with the wires and cables, or would I be required to physically open up the tower? Apologies, I just want to make sure I'm not screwing up any terminology. 

A new VGA card should be enough to play it smoothly. Maybe more RAM and better CPU if you want to host endless game modes (a lot of stuff for CPU to handle there) but better CPU usually requires new mainboard and pretty much a whole new rig.

An Nvidia GTX 960 (or an AMD card in the same price range :P) should give you good fps running max settings. I recommend setting everything to max with highest possible resolution, Vsync off and Anti-aliasing off (cause of unstable framerate).

Gotcha. I don't mind not being able to host endless optimally; it's not something I find myself doing.  Do you recommend running in Windowed, Borderless Fullscreen, or Fullscreen? I've heard that running fullscreen can actually increase FPS because the computer doesn't have to render the things on the desktop, but I'm not quite sure if that's true. 

-snip-

It's a very compact machine, and yes, I think there's an issue in itself not being able to actually fit a new card. I'll look into it some more. Thank you! 

If the picture posted above is correct, then your only option is a PCI-E x1 slimline card, which... will not even be that good.

Most of the models are weak, and the few that are acceptable for the price are too thick for that case.

At this point I'd just look into changing settings and stuff, since you'd need a new machine entirely to be able to fit stuff.

- In the Warframe launcher click the gear icon in the upper-right and uncheck DX10 and DX11.

- Fullscreen at a low resolution will be the fastest option.  Windowed will be second fastest, borderless fullscreen will be slowest.

- Of course, try various graphical settings to low/off.  With Intel GPUs especially, some settings are heavier than others.

Looking at the specs:

The Power Supply is only rated at 220W.

The expansion slots (if not filled) are a PCI-E x16 and PCI-E x1 (a card in the above picture is fulled). These are also height limited to be "low profile".

You options are definitely limited. You MAY be able to find something that will work, but it's not going to work "well".

Most of those cards that meet the requirements really aren't set up for heavy gaming, but more for Home Theater type of usage.

I'd save up some money and build yourself a basic gaming PC and you'll like it a lot better. Something in a mini-ATX format with a 450W power supply and you should be goldne.

Then, turn your old PC into your new Home Theater PC, and use Steam in-home Streaming.