Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Fighting For New Smartphone

DeathR34PER

Much Off Topic on Warframe side - I finally fixed PC Warframe crashing my entire computer, main problem was Multi-Thread Rendering ^^

On Subject - Well, it's kinda(or somewhat I should say) getting close to those holidays and smartphones these days are coming out more and more viable to today's modern technology and having such special deals. I'm really on the verge to find me a new smartphone to replace mine since my Galaxy S4 is taking a lot of abuse(drops, bumps, those sort of damages, however, it's placed within a full waterproof case, the infamous Seidio OBEX) and usage, and battery dies really fast on it too(even with replacing brand NEW batteries, it still dies fast).

Even though it's barely been a year for me to have this phone(got my phone in 2013 July?), it's really lagging and rubbish when running web browsers or few games. So, I really want your guys' opinion on what phone I should get, or wait for the time being for the best to get but I'll split it down for small reasons:

FOR USA MAINLY, BUT INTERNATIONALS ARE WELCOME TO GIVE OPINIONS!

AT&T - Samsung Galaxy Note 3 or 4, OR the Edge / HTC Desire EYE / Motorola X(2)

- -

I'm avoiding iPhones, no matter what, not because "it tends to bend", it is because I already have an iPad Air...which I know it's completely different for tablet versus and phone, but I have a lot of stuff to make use of out of phones and I really needed much more stuff in the outside world without carrying tablet or computer but a phone alone.

- -

Note 3, I know it's gone cheaper and last year's model, but it has that USB 3.0, actual leather battery cover, and already has 3GB of RAM. Note 4, still has 3GB of RAM and degraded back to USB 2.0, but upgraded battery(Note 3 is 3200mAh, Note 4 is 3220mAh with better chipset for fastest charging), CPU and GPU, Camera, and has Metal material. Note Edge, same as Note 4, but just tiny bit smaller, and less battery capacity(3000mAh?)

Desire Eye, I do kinda want a high MPX camera for front, and that's a big plus in all honesty and possibly do some bit of selfies and video calling, but non-removable battery and has 2GB of RAM with 2.3GHz Quad Core with last year's graphic processor(Adreno 330, currently newest one is Adreno 420). Moto X(2), straight up Google phone itself, but just gonna be an upgraded version of Galaxy S4 I believe, but without the IR Blaster(which I mainly like and used at some point).

Any other phones I'm really needed for but to pay at a lot of money, give me reasons to do so, for example, give me a reason why I should get the Google Nexus 6, or why would I REALLY want to wait for the Sony Xperia Z4.

PS: Sorry for long topic, I'm really into smartphones like I do to PC :D

Edited by DeathR34PER

I still have my old HTC Inspire.

It does calls and texts, which happens to cover all my mobile needs. For everything else, I have a computer.

The only phone-related advice you'll ever hear from me is to just get a highly successful model from a previous generation. This way, you won't be beta testing your phone. There's a reason businesses rarely buy the latest in technology; it's a minefield. Shopping from the same generation as your previous phone is smarter in all kinds of ways.

You're less likely to be fettered by contracts. The phone you buy will have a body of consumer knowledge for you to draw from. Any problems you experience will likely have known solutions, and you can use someone else's legwork to save yourself headaches. Getting a "brand new" phone will probably only lead you into more battery woes, especially as trends in hardware and software push towards higher and higher battery drain rates.

I could go on, but I'll cut my rant short and say that you're losing time and money if you approach the singularity from the phone side. Buy old phones, and wait for the computer side to become more portable instead of waiting on phones to become more powerful. Phones are currently on the losing end of the "power vs. battery life" continuum.

Edited by notlamprey

Have you tried Lumia?

Many are skeptical about it, but I, for one, bought a Lumia 520 and haven't looked back. Try one of the higher models. Lumia is excellent for creativity, boasting amazing editing apps and has a name in mobile photography. Plus, it's got the sexiest UI around.

Edited by (PS4)Strifedecer

Have you tried Lumia?

Many are skeptical about it, but I, for one, bought a Lumia 520 and haven't looked back. Try one of the higher models. Lumia is excellent for creativity, boasting amazing editing apps and has a name in mobile photography. Plus, it's got the sexiest UI around.

I'm not gonna lie, I actually do love Lumia phones too, I use to have 520 phone for awhile too but had to give it up for my dad really. UI and other usages to also super clean and fluent. Though, I did had a bit of tough time that it doesn't work well with some browsers as flash is something I needed. Edited by DeathR34PER

I've had first hand experience with a Nokia Lumia 520, they're less than $100 with out a contract on Amazon. It is on the small side but has great performance and battery life. I have a galaxy 4 right now and I've had the same battery charge problems you've had even with a fresh battery.