Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Cover System

Praegoth

What the OP and the other people agreeing with him dont realize is one simple fact.

Currently the game is balanced around the cover mechanic of "Crouch behind box and shoot".  Not the hard/sticky cover they seem to want.  And I am thankful for that as it keeps the game unique and interesting.

Now, if they had an actual cover system they would need to buff enemies health and damage considerably to compensate for that fact.  That would mean you would be FORCED to use cover whether you wanted to or not.  Otherwise the same people would start complaining that the game is too easy and they can solo anything and are getting bored and want the enemies buffed.

If you notice, any game with a cover system basically forces you to use it because the enemies take much more punishment and deal a lot more meaning that if you stick your head out for very long you are going to die.  That would slow down gameplay dramatically and make the current way of charging into enemies and melee a suicide rush.

I would rather not see one of the core strengths of this game, its fast paced ninja action and fighting, be slashed to ribbons so that people have another way of crouching behind a box.

I would rather not see one of the core strengths of this game, its fast paced ninja action and fighting, be slashed to ribbons so that people have another way of crouching behind a box.

This, so much this.

I swear if this game ever gets a cover system I'll flip a Corpus table. And the people suggesting it should just...stand behind a box. Because, you know you CAN do that. Just because there isn't a dedicated 'Box cuddle' button, doesn't mean you can't slow your game to a crawl and caress that chest high crate manually.

What the OP and the other people agreeing with him dont realize is one simple fact.

Currently the game is balanced around the cover mechanic of "Crouch behind box and shoot".  Not the hard/sticky cover they seem to want.  And I am thankful for that as it keeps the game unique and interesting.

Now, if they had an actual cover system they would need to buff enemies health and damage considerably to compensate for that fact.  That would mean you would be FORCED to use cover whether you wanted to or not.  Otherwise the same people would start complaining that the game is too easy and they can solo anything and are getting bored and want the enemies buffed.

If you notice, any game with a cover system basically forces you to use it because the enemies take much more punishment and deal a lot more meaning that if you stick your head out for very long you are going to die.  That would slow down gameplay dramatically and make the current way of charging into enemies and melee a suicide rush.

There is so much win on this post, everything else is invalid.

Edited by Venarge

I think aesthetically, a cover system would add a little more realism to the Tenno's movements.  It could add cool stealth melee attacks for people that want to play that way, and it could actually be made disadvantageous for people that want to play melee, as it could be set up so that you can't melee well when you're stuck up against a wall.  But really it'd be a minor thing.  My version of "take cover" has been to just move behind things, but it doesn't feel very "modern".

I don't think Warframe *needs* a cover system, per-se, but I don't think it would suffer from it in the way many here are saying.  I came to this game from Mass Effect 3 multiplayer, which had a cover system.  It IS annoying when you run up to an obstacle and take cover when you're trying to run around it instead, but there are ways to rebind keys so that that doesn't happen.

Mass Effect Multiplayer is far from being a static game where everyone just hides behind cover and shoots at things. The devs made it impossible to do that by having enemies that can run up and flush you out of cover, lob a grenade, etc.  The real problem for Warframe, if they added a cover system, would be the rebalancing of all combat, enemies, skills, and hell even the maps themselves.

Even as it is now though, I'd like to see people try to stay behind cover in Warframe.  You'll get swarmed by Infestation units, switch teleported out, etc. :D

BTW, the whole "move fast and keep action high" concept seems quite counter to the stealth action that the devs seem to be trying to add in.  Right now, it seems like everyone just rushes forward as fast as possible, such that stealth play is pretty useless.  I wouldn't mind a slow-down of the game pace though because right now, if I get stuck trying to do a wall run and failing over and over again, or if I fall in a pit, I usually fall behind everyone else that's rushing ahead (PUGs, of course, not private matches).  I'm still trying to get good at the movement system (I find it unresponsive, but that must just be my lack of skill I guess... it's been frustrating).

The last thing Warframe needs is a sticky cover system.

A free-cover system(ala Army of Two 1 and 2,less Tomb Raider as that tried to put the sticky back in as hard as it could)on the other hand could serve some astethic purposes and giving a bit more cover the few times one actually crouches behind a box.

Having said that,such a system has to be coded from the ground up and cant be only halfway implemented like the wall running currently is.

Imo Warframe has other more important under construction areas at the moment.