The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Weird Gpu Utilization + Cpu Multithreading

MillbrookWest

First off, the settings i run at:

warframettileieue4.png

^AFAIK, all are checked by default^

warframe2014-11-0812-p5uj6.png

^Those Textures o_O^

Note: I don't have V-sync enabled, or any driver enforced limiter.

CPU utilization has never used all cores, BUT, it used 4 cores to a fair extent, im noticing that even the 4 cores Warframe runs on currently is getting used less and less.

This is warframe now:

warframe2fkuef.png

As a point of comparison, this is Warframe from a while back running on my system:

warframettjfn.png

And here's another i took some time after the picture above:

warframe2t6k8a.png

Also note the GPU usage from teh first to the third image. With no Vsync, the GPU should run as it was in pic 3.

Having both enabled just uses DX11. It doesn't cause any issues.

Really? I was told that having on both would cause serious problems.

Then again, I never had them both checked at once. When they changed DX10 to the default one, I was already using it and thus it never had DX11 checked at the same time.

Having both enabled just uses DX11. It doesn't cause any issues.

I've tested using both ticked compared to just one of either, at least in my case I do get worse frame times with both ticked compared to just DX11, albeit not by a huge amount.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/345102-de-doesnt-understand-viver/warframedx116ku96.png

This is it running with the DX10 box un-checked.

Almost identical, save for the core scheduling.

I don't have performance issues. I'm just wondering whats up with the game.

And why my GPU isn't being fully taxed (it should be, i don't have V-sync on)

Well, your CPU graphs look roughly comparable to my own, and both are pretty clearly showing that the game is (at least intermittently) maxing out at least one CPU core, which would mean the performance bottleneck is currently single-core CPU speed. This explains why your GPU isn't being fully utilized; the CPU-side threads aren't going fast enough to feed it sufficient data.

Notably, I've only seen this behaviour since around update 14.9 - prior to that I was getting 250+ FPS more or less constantly with GPU maxing out, now getting maybe 120 most of the time with spikes down to below 60 ~0.5% of the time.

Well, your CPU graphs look roughly comparable to my own, and both are pretty clearly showing that the game is (at least intermittently) maxing out at least one CPU core, which would mean the performance bottleneck is currently single-core CPU speed. This explains why your GPU isn't being fully utilized; the CPU-side threads aren't going fast enough to feed it sufficient data.

Notably, I've only seen this behaviour since around update 14.9 - prior to that I was getting 250+ FPS more or less constantly with GPU maxing out, now getting maybe 120 most of the time with spikes down to below 60 ~0.5% of the time.

This is why i brought it up.

It was my GPU which caused the bottleneck before. Weirdly now, the multithreading seems to be going backwards and regressing back to its main thread.

I don't recall running Warframe with it's main thread using that much of a core before.

Not too much of an issue. Im not here to complain about poor performance or anything (though i am getting performance loss due to ragdoll animations). Im just curious as to why multithreading is doing what appears to be a turnaround (if you compare it to my second picture).

IIRC, DE Steve said the engine should leverage all cores in the system.