Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Map Of The Whole Ship

I was wondering, is there a reason why we don't have a map of the whole ship ? I mean story wise I don't see how someone that infiltrates a ship also knowing if sensors work or not and having access to so many consoles doesn't have a map just a small minimap ?

Unless there is an explicit reason (gameplay wise) why not to have it, could we have one ? It would save us a lot of trouble on the data unit hunting missions when not knowing if we should go up or down... or just if we get separated from the team just to know how far we still need to go (if we should run or take our time exploring for instance).

But are they randomly generated as you go ? Room by room ? I don't think it's really random at such an extent, probably everything is already generated at mission start (except maybe if a new objective is added). Getting at least some overview if only of the places that where visited would be nice... :/

Everything is generated at mission start.  You can find the doors that will lead towards extraction or to secondary objectives.  You can sometimes even find the extraction point.

When you get to a mission it builds it before it loads you into the map.  It wouldn't be able to set the waypoints very well if it built room by room, though maybe it could get away with point to the next room until you get close enough, but sometimes the waypoint ends up acting weird when certain map building glitches end up confusing the waypoint system.  That wouldn't happen if it had only built the next few rooms.  It has built the whole mission which is why the waypoint can be buggy sometimes.

Edited by JHarlequin

think the whole map thing may help if the map generators can be more refined. e.g. instead of randomly connected pieces, there should be some "ship-template" map generator that uses rule-based generation on top of RNG to generate reasonable maps for ships (e.g. the engine/hangar/extraction point for a ship class will usually be in the same place, but the exact layout/connection of the corridors and halls may vary)

Although the waypoint is convenient (TOO convenient)... when it works at least... I too sometimes wish that we have a broad overview of the layout of the map, instead of just chasing the waypoint, not knowing whether we have been to some parts or not unless there are some signs (opened containers, loot on the floor etc)

think the whole map thing may help if the map generators can be more refined. e.g. instead of randomly connected pieces, there should be some "ship-template" map generator that uses rule-based generation on top of RNG to generate reasonable maps for ships (e.g. the engine/hangar/extraction point for a ship class will usually be in the same place, but the exact layout/connection of the corridors and halls may vary)

Although the waypoint is convenient (TOO convenient)... when it works at least... I too sometimes wish that we have a broad overview of the layout of the map, instead of just chasing the waypoint, not knowing whether we have been to some parts or not unless there are some signs (opened containers, loot on the floor etc)

You know, I had a similar thought just the other day.  As it it, the layouts of the Corpus ships really don't make much sense. (due to random generation, yes, I know.  But a sort of template would be an interesting idea, certainly.)

But are they randomly generated as you go ? Room by room ? I don't think it's really random at such an extent, probably everything is already generated at mission start (except maybe if a new objective is added). Getting at least some overview if only of the places that where visited would be nice... :/

Yeah i imagin they are generated at mission start as some have said, and that being the case theres no reason a map with a "You are here" and "Your team mates are here" dots cant be made.

In my first week or so of playing i couldnt even tell you how many times i hit "M" expecting to see a map come up.