Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Pvp That Works!

Thingofmyth

There are four different cryopods evenly spaced around the map and each person has to defend his/her cryopod. There would be no attacking other players so it wouldn't have that frustration with spawn killing and what not other bullS#&$ that pvp brings in. It would also add an interesting dynamic with CC abilities such as nyx mind controlling an ancient to go attack another players cryopod or enemies getting deterred from embers ring of fire?

Just an Idea for some interesting dynamic, feel free to bash me for bringing up pvp as I am against it myself, I just thought this would be an interesting compromise. 

TL;DR 4 player competitive wave defense, No friendly fire, CC abilities good

Edited by Thingofmyth

This...actually sounds really interesting.  For some reason, a part of me--a LARGE part--just flashed back to competitive Starcraft/Warcraft III/Starcraft 2 Tower Defenses.  Winter Wars gogogo.

I would love to see Defenses that more closely mirror tower defenses in format as well.  Obviously, I don't mean building towers but rather layout and spawn style.

Edited by Shinnyshin

I would actually like this a lot.

And it should be, for the most part, easy to implement.  The only difficult part would be locking people into spectator mode if their cryopod dies, and scaling the number of cryopods to the number of people (which depending on how its done doesn't need to be done), but I see a lot of potential with this.

Without the players actively fighting each other it would appeal to the PvE group, while the competiveness appeals to the PvP group.  And you wouldn't have any major balance issues in the game that they would need to address.

And if they implement this they could also do 2v2 competitive defense.

They could make it like that one COD game mode where if you shoot another player, it slows them down allowing enemies to kill them, and taking out the competition.

yeah they could implement some sort of friendly fire effect as long as it isn't ridiculous (ex. Dealing Damage, freezing them, ect.)

Without the players actively fighting each other it would appeal to the PvE group, while the competiveness appeals to the PvP group.

I would be a fun addition, to be sure.  But I think the fundamental thing most PvP players want is to fight against a non-ai enemy.

Capture the flag would be nice. And 5x5 or even more, single life o/

I'm going for PvP without the PVP

I would be a fun addition, to be sure.  But I think the fundamental thing most PvP players want is to fight against a non-ai enemy.

Yeah but PvE players don't want that so I'm trying to go for the inbetween. 

I really do like this system and would love to see it, but as a competitive player, I'd also love to see some PvP where I pit my skills against others. Even if I couldn't use my Warframe's abilities and it was only for visual appeal, I really would enjoy the parkor elements with the great feeling gunplay.

No, even though I really would like this kind of game mode, it doesn't fit into this game.

Why? Because this game has it's own background lore, and there's no reason for the Tenno to compete against each other in this way.

So if there are 4 cryopods that need defending, Lotus would tell you to defend them at all cost, and no way would she want you to suddenly be against each other.

I like the OPs idea just throw in a way to have 5th stream of (outside of the 4 for the normal play) that could be diverted by hacking that acts as direct influence mechanic.

What this does is give a "bonus" score to people killing the extra mobs so at the end of each round there are no ties. I would figure each wave has the same number of mob spawns for each pod; getting the 5th stream is a risk/reward. It could be used to boost your score because you have more mobs to kill OR you can send it over to someone else hoping they get knocked out by getting overwhelmed.

The orignal idea is very very good actually. Hopefully the devs will read this and we can get a response or a grand master can throw it in somewhere as I assume they have more say in actual development considering they paid 250$ for a beta game.

OPs idea has a flaw: so you CCed mobs and went to attack other players POD. How can he kill you if there is no attacking other players? Ofcourse the attacker does not have unlimited time, before his CCs end, but this calls for serious balance issues. Not all frames can manipulated mobs.

Edited by Suopis

I'm slowly warming up to the idea of pvp in WF eventually, and something along these lines would be a good start. Also several things could be used beside just cryopods to defend, such as those reactor cores with the rotating glass rods as seen on Corpus maps. Like the opposing team must expose the core and shoot the rods, and the core will re-seal itself after X seconds of no damage. You could have two of those on a map - one for each team, or just 1 in the center and the teams would take turns attacking/defending to complete a round.

Tons of possibilities just using existing assets.

You beat me to it, my idea is only slightly different. Either one would work. Your's being faster, more gritty. Mine is a little slower. https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/34443-8-man-competative-2-point-defense-maps/?p=317106 We should combine ideas.

Yours just sounds like two separate defence missions in one where one team is very likely to take everything.

I like OP's idea actually and i do not think that it would be a bad idea and the frames would not have to undergo a huge balancing.

I am assuming it would basically be four cryopods, each frame by their own pod, surviving against the waves. Using powers to protect your own pod whilst being detrimental to  others would be hilarious IMO. I can imagine loki popping a decoy near his own, whilst switching someone away from their designated pod, whilst mag shield polarises an enemy pod whilst volt is blocking the pathway to his pod with an electric shield whilst nyx is desperately mind controlling a toxic ancient to attack an enemy pod. 

I am really starting to warm to the idea, as both damage and utility powers would see action. My only issue would be frames that lack utility (Ember) and the potential imbalance of weapons, say a new player attempts with a braton, and we have a veteran with a hek, the hek will win 9/10.

No, even though I really would like this kind of game mode, it doesn't fit into this game.

Why? Because this game has it's own background lore, and there's no reason for the Tenno to compete against each other in this way.

So if there are 4 cryopods that need defending, Lotus would tell you to defend them at all cost, and no way would she want you to suddenly be against each other.

could be ceremonial coming of age ceremony 

OPs idea has a flaw: so you CCed mobs and went to attack other players POD. How can he kill you if there is no attacking other players? Ofcourse the attacker does not have unlimited time, before his CCs end, but this calls for serious balance issues. Not all frames can manipulated mobs.

you can't "attack" other players pods. only find a way to get more enemies to go their way ie. Nyx mind control.