Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Suggestion] Remove The Unlocks Warframe And Weapon Slots

Zaxc

In this game, there's a limited number of slots for both warframes and weapons.

Leveling is attained by leveling several warframes and weapons, and for such, your leveling is limited by the amount of slots you are ready to purchase for them.

I understand that its a good way to make money, but slots are actually a limitation when it comes to the freenium monetization model. You should never limit the ammount of characters or weapons a player can have, otherwise free players will feel punished for it. If the free players stop playing, their friends who pay might also leave.

I have purchased my founder's package for this game, buying crystals, warframes and weapons feels good but purchasing slots actually feels like something that shouldn't be in the game, its paying to remove a restriction and it doesn't feel like money well spent.

Here are a few suggestions to fix this issue:

1. Make inventory slots unlockable with schematics, as everybody like hunting down stuff in this game.

2. Make inventory grow as the player level up, this will have for effect of forcing the player into leveling his first robot, making more people reach the end game area before they start farming the beginning planets again.

3. Simply remove the slots, as it is contrary to the purpose of this entire game which is infinite dungeons and gameplay.

I believe those who already purchased slots could get back their platinums.

Feel free to comment if you have more suggestions about this subject or if you want to give an opinion.

Edited by Zaxc

This is a terrible suggestion.

While the game is basically just a grindfarm fest currently, the game is 100% fully accessible without paying a single penny (... except internet... computer....), the only things that money can buy you, exclusively, are "the ability to store every weapon and frame you'll ever get" and and vanity items (I don't know if there are/will be BPs available for vanity or color)

As such, you're getting a free game, not a freemium game, this game is free.

However, you have to pay for storage in game.

This game is free to play.  They have discussed this topic many times, and understand both sides of the argument, but you have to realize that every extra slot you make etc takes up more space and stresses their servers that much more.  They've already had to upgrade their servers because the hamsters couldn't keep up with the massive influx of players, so right now this is their way of making sure they can support everyone.  I mean c'mon if you want more slots its 5-10 bucks for all the slots for frames as well as a bunch of weapon slots...

I think the idea of unlocking slots slowly via mastery ranks is not bad.  Otherwise, I think this is a fair way for DE to make money.

Maybe at odd ranks, you unlock a weapon slot, even ranks you unlock a frame slot.  I guarantee you still won't be able to get everything, but it does at least provide some breathing space.  Not really sold on that.  I'll admit, one of the things that first encouraged me to buy platinum was the limited number of slots.

you see^^ I told you so...

just because YOU can pay money for a game dose not mean others can.

Well but just because a game is free to play doesnt mean it has to give away everything for free....

Free slots for progression and play time are something I really support, but some people want every stuff for free...

I dont say you are one of them, but some others do unfortunately....

Most free to play games where you have characters have a small limit like 2 characters to encourage people to pay. This game has among the cheapest slot expansion options. Even if you pay for 2 warframe slots and 2 weapon slots that's only 52 platinum which is around 3.50 (rounding). Other games you have to pay 10 or more for a character slot, even 5 for a single character slot.

I would like to see an option to buy them with in game money, maybe a platinum conversion where 200k credits could buy you 20 platinum or something like that. Something to make it take time to get them so you're still encouraged to buy them but not something to the point that it trivializes blueprints. Who would take the time to pay 105k credits and 3.5+ days to build a warframe without an orokin reactor if they could just spend a few hours and get enough credits to buy platinum for the frame straight up? I don't know how feasible the platinum exchange would be, but it's an idea and it would need to be done in a way that doesn't trivialize the incentive to spend money as well as blueprints themselves.

I don't mind paying for the game, I already did in the past.

My point is, that the inventory space is a limitation in their monetization model.

If you play for free, you'll invite friends to play with you, which will invite friends of their own, this makes the community grow and thus get more people, some of those people will pay which makes the game creators richer.

If you put a limitation, people will get their starting mecha, notice that there is a limitation and then just stop playing and if they stop playing, their friends will stop playing and you lose money, as simple as that.

When you buy a character in a game like league of legends, do you need to buy a slot for every single character? not really, yet their game and community is doing very well.

I love this game and I want it to grow bigger, and I see this slot thing being only a limitation to the growth of the game.

You can't compare this to League of Legends because they are vastly different game models. This is more comparable to any number of free MMOs.

DCUO, Tera, Champions Online, and others I'm sure all implement a 2 character slot limit on their games. You're also limited in other ways unless you pay with real money. Suggesting people will quit based on that is kind of silly when it's not an uncommon practice or overly limited compared to other games. In a game like League you have to have a character for practically every situation, that is most definitely not the case here so you can't even make a comparison there. There's also vastly more characters in that game than this. As well as look at the game style where you don't pick a character and go out and develop them or anything like that. You're comparing two entirely different games and trying to make the equation that they'd function the same.

Edited by BlueCremeSoda

Even in this game, you can use different characters for different situations, some warframes are better against some type of enemies than others. 

I am not comparing this game to league as I know the gameplay is completely different, but as more and more warframes are being added to the game, this will slowly become a limitation.

But the most obvious is clearly for weapons than warframe, they are easy to find, not that hard to build.

You get 50 free platinum with the creation of the accoun, use it to upgrade whatever you think is limiting.

Leveling a weapon and selling it allows you to level another one, so the mastery point is moot.

The only thing getting people away from the game is the fact that some things are rather incomplete, but that will improve with time.

Leveling a weapon and selling it allows you to level another one, so the mastery point is moot.

but its takes ages to level up mastery rank T.T 

Make it one slot unlock-able every mastery level, and then costing a  large amount of credit to create that slot. And that an extra credit sink right there. 

and besides it adds a reason to level up mastery rank, as the mastery level is pointless once you hit rank 4 to be able to buy hek.  

Every F2P game I've played with multiple characters available has a slot limit (usually 2) and inventory limits. Those take server space that costs the devs money, so it's fair to charge a bit for them. The prices for slots are much cheaper here than some other games, and if you buy a 'frame with plat you get a free slot with it. Just with starter plat you can get either 2 'frame slots or a 'frame slot and 2 weapon slots, and if you wanted more it would only take a few bucks.

if you really need slots, invest atleast 8,99€ (that's what i did) and buy some weapon and warframe slots. you will see, it's not expensive, it gives you A LOT slots for just about 9 bucks.

The OP doesn't need platinum for slots, he just doesn't see the reason in paying to remove a restriction. And I'm totally with him on this.

I tried to get a friend to play Warframe recently. He played it, liked it and saw the slot restrictions. He ranted to me ("I need to fork out money or sell my old stuff to advance?" ...and so on), left, didn't play anymore and spent more than 10 bucks on some visual upgrades to a browser game of some kind shortly after (I don't even want to know).

My $0.02:

Restrictions are bad, visual upgrades, vanity items and something like that are good, period.

I've already said what I had to say on the matter in another thread weeks ago and I'm not willing and too tired of most of the (high-tier) founders' remarks that I personally want to ruin "their" game and the Devs run danger to listen to cretins like me ("The game will die! Boo hoo! I already spent so much on it, my opinion must be more important than yours! Mods please close the thread!" ...and so on) to reiterate all the benefits of making slots available by playing the game.

edit: for all the guys comparing this to MMO slots: in MMOs they have to save inventory, quest progression, etc. per character

Edited by Dusklite

Well but just because a game is free to play doesnt mean it has to give away everything for free....

Free slots for progression and play time are something I really support, but some people want every stuff for free...

I dont say you are one of them, but some others do unfortunately....

Oops, accidentally downvoted, my mistake. :/

I agree with Vernarge.

DE are extremely generous when it comes to obtaining stuff in-game, you can get every single weapon, and every single Warframe with blueprints.

It's perfectly reasonable for them to monetize the weapon and Warframe slots.

"Well but just because a game is free to play doesnt mean it has to give away everything for free...."

Can't agree with this more.

People seem to think that F2P means that you should never have to pay for anything, and the devs are being unreasonable if you need to pay for something.

But the thing is, the devs need food on their tables. You should just appreciate what you've got. Imagine if EA was behind this game.

*edit*

Apologies for the stupid white area on some of my reply, it's 5am and I'll fix it when I can be bothered.

Edited by miniKAD

Okay, *sigh* look at it this way: I'm looking to support the game because I don't like the standard color palettes. Also I think customizing my sentinel(s) would be nice. Feels good to support a truly free game and stand out from the crowd a bit.

Am I currently spending money?

No.

Why?

Mainly because I currently suffer from performance issues like some other guys in the forums (look it up).

Will I spent money if that's fixed?

I honestly don't know. If I'm actually forced to pay to progress or sell my potato'd (yeah, partly bought - how 'bout that?) stuff to free up slots I suddenly don't feel so good about all this anymore.

The OP doesn't need platinum for slots, he just doesn't see the reason in paying to remove a restriction. And I'm totally with him on this.

I tried to get a friend to play Warframe recently. He played it, liked it and saw the slot restrictions. He ranted to me ("I need to fork out money or sell my old stuff to advance?" ...and so on), left, didn't play anymore and spent more than 10 bucks on some visual upgrades to a browser game of some kind shortly after (I don't even want to know).

My $0.02:

Restrictions are bad, visual upgrades, vanity items and something like that are good, period.

I had the exact same problem with a friend too, which is why I posted this topic.

When I use money, I want my money to be fun, not to simply remove a limiter.

I love paying for warframe, love paying for orokin to socket in my stuff, I purchased like 10 of those or more, I like paying for color paterns or helmets or new weapons. I have no problem giving my money to the company who makes such an incredible game.

My problem lies with the fact that buying slots is not fun, it doesn't feel fun, I pressed the ok button and it felt like a burden.

I would really like them to find an alternative to this and I believe this would greatly help the game with their player retention. I am not against the company making money, I simply don't want them to lose people because once they get 4 guns they can't make any nice schematic they find anymore without trashing a weapon they worked hard to level up.

The problem with F2Ps is where to draw the line and what to pay for and how grindy you make it exactly. I like were warframe is at right now, all warframes/weapons etc don't take an unreasonable amount of time to farm and I like it that way.

F2Ps make money of either your vanity or impatience. Warframe probably sells potatoes like crazy and slots most likely to and not at an unreasonable price if you ask me. At some point you have to offer those guys who don't care about vanity an incentive to pay, this goes either of these ways: Set limitations or make content so grindy that keeping up is impossible for anyone who cant sink an excessive amout of time into the game.

Warframe chose the former method and I honestly prefer it. I can get all warframes and weapons in a realistic amout of time and get my mods to a decent level, without devoting my life to the game (although I currently have way too much time at hand and sink a lot of it into this). If I want a new weapon, I can get it. If I want that frame, I can farm it ( except banshee, I hate you banshee!). The alternative to this limitation model would be the endless grind model, meaning they set the time it takes to grind one frame to about 5 hours per day until they can realease the next one, so only the most hardcore guys can stay f2p. I for my part enjoy a little grinding, but by a little I mean a little.

So if you do not want a extreme grindfest update minimizing resource, credits and bp drops, those limitations have to stay. A compromise would be to make slots purchrasable for credits, BUT they would then have to be set at a pirce meeting the above criteria, so no 200k per warframe slot would not even cover it with the current credit aquisition rate and seeing prices this ridiculously high tends to scare the people away in a farm oriented game like warframe. This is also the fundamental differnence between League of Legends and Warframe pricing. One is currently a game about farming and raising farm threshholds to unrealistic levels would scare the people away, the other is about 40 mins of pvp fun and champion aquisition is a great sideeffect that offers additional motivation to some people.

So my question is simple: If frame slots would be buyable for credits, are you prepared for sky high prices which will require hours upon hours of grinding just for the slot? Because I am not prepared to give up my comfortable weapon/warframe drop rates.