The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Possible Fix For Fps Performance Issues (Worked For Me Atleast)

Hearandir

Hey All

After having had an assortment of fps issues ranging from mob spawns in defense, people joining my game and getting stuck on stairs I went foraging through these forums and saw someone (sorry mate I can't recall your name but thumbs up all the same) who mentioned having tried to run the game on a different operating system.

Since I didn't have another system to install I tried to use compatability mode instead, switching from Windows 7 (premium edition) to Windows XP (SP3) and it worked wonders!

I used to get framedrops from 30-40fps down to about 1-5fps on wave spawns and people joining which would last anywhere between 5-90secs.

While still getting minor drops when incenerating large groups of infested, I'm now sitting at a solid 50-60fps with drops to 40-45fps, which is barely noticable for me.

I spent 2 hours testing this during primetime last night and another 2 hours this morning, and have made no other changes than the ones mentioned here.

While this probably won't be the ultimate fix I think it's worth a try for other in the same predicament.

I know what you want to say. Have same troubles somethimes. Only am I getting sudden increases fps. That 60 +, then sharply 12-30, then again 60 +. In the settings put vertical sync, but it did not really help.

It might or might not work.

I tested on my Win7 64bit, on WinXP 64bit and then again on a clean install of Win7 64bit - all with the same results.

I don't want to discourage anyone from trying but be prepared that it might not work. :/

As stated it's a possible fix.

Dusklite have you tried running it as a 32bit system?

No, but I'm neither prepared to mess up my system setup any more than I already did nor do I have access to a legal copy of XP anymore.

Since DE_Dmitri told a lot of people in this subforum that they know what's causing it and are working on it I'm prepared to wait it out. Thanks for caring, though ^^

I wish everyone good luck trying this fix. :)

edit: if you meant unchecking the 64-bit checkbox... yeah, I did. Made texture/level streaming slower, nothing else. Compatibility mode only caused more crashing.

Edited by Dusklite

Bad idea to switch to WinXP if you have a strong PC. WinXP is old, it barely recognizes stronger components, sometimes makes more of a mess than proper performance. For example: Put in more than 2GB RAM on a WinXP system, it will run laggy, like you didn't have any video card drivers or something. That's just my experience and i read these same stories in all sorts of forums.

You guys can also try game booster(just google it)...it seems i get a small(but kinda noticeable) increase in FPS,and if you use windows 7 try setting the visual effects to *best performance*(i know it looks crappy but that´s the price for a few more fps).Cheers

Bad idea to switch to WinXP if you have a strong PC. WinXP is old, it barely recognizes stronger components, sometimes makes more of a mess than proper performance. For example: Put in more than 2GB RAM on a WinXP system, it will run laggy, like you didn't have any video card drivers or something. That's just my experience and i read these same stories in all sorts of forums.

I don't think you're really following what's going on here.

People are talking about launching the binary with WinXP compatibility mode under a new OS.

Some game engines disable the video memory virtualisation features in DirectX, despite the fact that they often have no harmful effects on stability, and improve performance markedly (in some cases, while reducing GPU load/temps). However, it's a bit of &#! covering, just in case, and they can't be blamed for it.

If you turn on XP SP3 compatibility in (for example) Win7, the game engine is often fooled that it's running under XP, with these shiny newer features are not present. Paradoxically, this leads to them not being disabled and thus remaining available. In some cases, this leads to noticably higher and more consistent performance.

No-one is actually expecting anyone to try installing XP, whether you have "a strong PC" or not.

(By the way, your assertion about more than 2GB being "laggy" in WinXP is silly, too. More than 4GB is not directly addressable in 32 bit WInXP due to... well, the use of a 32 bit wordlength on the address bus. Also, the top gig or so is usually eaten by a memory mapped IO, but still that doesn't make things "laggy" at all in a machine that doesn't suck. Maybe you're getting a little confused with the use of PAE to address more than 4GB on a 32 bit system, which can be a little slow. However, Microsoft deliberately disabled the use of the NX bit/PAE for non-server OSsen, anyway, so the point is largely moot for most people and you're still barking up the wrong tree :D )

Edited by Kattefjaes