Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Primary & Secondary Physical Damage Mods Need A Buff.

fatpig84

Back in the day of damage 1.0 

The mod of the day was always Piercing Hit and Sundering Strike because AP damage is GOD.

People fit them on everything they could.

Then damage 2.0 happened.

And they SUCK absolutely. With only an extremely small damage boost (30% to be exact for most primaries) and the fact that it scaled from base IPS damage and not full gun damage. It meant that they do even less damage.

Now 1 year after damage 2.0.

They still suck. Then recently DE is releasing a batch of new physical damage mods that could actually do something. Like Buzz Kill. They do 120% but cost an appropriately 11 points.

So let's compare. 

Sawtooth Clip.

Rank 5

+30% Slash damage (scaled off IPS)

Point cost 9

Fanged Fusillade

Rank 5

+120% Slash damage (scaled off base IPS)

Point cost 11.

Look at that HUGE difference in damage.

IMO DE should boost all these base damage mods to at least 90% and make them across the board.

So Sawtooth Clip will look like this

Rank 5

+90% Slash (scaled off base IPS)

Point Cost 9

This strikes an inherent balance.

Element damage is normally more expensive to fit (11 points), but gain from full weapon damage. 

Physical damage mods will be cheaper to fit (9 points), but they gain from IPS only.

While 1 off event physical damage mods have the ability to match or surpass elemental damage mods on certain weapons due to their larger boost. But this is still balanced due to the fact that they cost 11 points.

The original idea of Damage 2.0 was to remove Rainbow builds. 
But right now, your only choice is to stick to element damage, so choice is still limited.

With improved physicals, perhaps we will see back some variations in our load outs.

Edited by fatpig84

Totally 100% absolutely completely agree.

...but the Slash event mods came along to show us that there is no desire for balancing old Mods from DE.

There had been many, many threads like this before, and the only action was to release new mods with new grind.

At this point they may as well delete the old ones and give us some cores.

I would love to see the old mods buffed. In one of the recent Devstreams (the last one I think) the devs mentioned that a lot of older stuff had been rendered obsolete by newer additions, mods and weapons included.

I think the new mods should have been tradeoffs. For example trading a percentage of your Slash and Impact damage for more Puncture. That way you could make a weapon like the Vectis better against armored targets by taking its high Impact damage and turning it into Puncture. 

So -50% Slash and Impact Damage, +120% Puncture, with variations for Impact and Slash. The net bonus is to compensate for the lowered bonuses in other areas. 

I would love to see the old mods buffed. In one of the recent Devstreams (the last one I think) the devs mentioned that a lot of older stuff had been rendered obsolete by newer additions, mods and weapons included.

I think the new mods should have been tradeoffs. For example trading a percentage of your Slash and Impact damage for more Puncture. That way you could make a weapon like the Vectis better against armored targets by taking its high Impact damage and turning it into Puncture. 

So -50% Slash and Impact Damage, +120% Puncture, with variations for Impact and Slash. The net bonus is to compensate for the lowered bonuses in other areas. 

That is basically what Corrupted Mods are supposed to do.

But you can't dump in new Corrupted mods without further diluting the pool at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious as to why physical damage mods don't work like elementals-- I remember Accelerated Blast used to, and then it got nerfed.

The only reason I can think of is so that you can't mod your Hek to be Impact or Slash oriented, etc... but I have to wonder again-- what's so wrong with that?

Wouldn't being able to choose what physical type of damage we lean towards with each weapon make them a bit more flexible and interesting? I like the idea of being able to take a weapon out of its intended role.

I will admit that I haven't fully thought this through-- I'm really just curious.

Edited by HolidayPi3

I agree, shotgun also need that kind of buff. BUT, they even nerf the Blaze mod from 90% dame increase to 60%. and +60% fire damage. Is this because the new mod 200% mutishot for hek is too OP that they have to find another way to nerf it ?

Back in the day around 3 to 4 months after dame 2.0 I remember 30% physical dame still increase elemental dame. That is when I use shotguns the most and I believe rifles also got that kind of mechanic. But now they remove it completely. Can you, DE, at lease give player a choice rather than force us to grind for the new 120% even mods ? I know it's good but for newbie, those 120% even mod are ways to out of their hand. Even if the even is right in front of their face right now, they probably wont be able to get it. And the old mods is just way too weak. 

Edited by Harrycan

I'm curious as to why physical damage mods don't work like elementals-- I remember Accelerated Blast used to, and then it got nerfed.

The only reason I can think of is so that you can't mod your Hek to be Impact or Slash oriented, etc... but I have to wonder again-- what's so wrong with that?

Wouldn't being able to choose what physical type of damage we lean towards with each weapon make them a bit more flexible and interesting? I like the idea of being able to take a weapon out of its intended role.

I will admit that I haven't fully thought this through-- I'm really just curious.

Because it is DE.

That is why for the new special physical mods to compete, they need to boost it to 120%.

Then they MIGHT, just MIGHT be worth using.

Even then the weapon selection is very limited, only weapons like Dread or PP (the new puncture ones) actually gain damage from using those mods. Because they have more than 90% of their base damage towards slash or puncture. The rest not so.

In any case I am just hoping they bring up all the rest to 90%.

Edited by fatpig84