Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe For Mac?

Addition

I would really like to see this as the only computer that I can run this on is my really crappy windows laptop. The most powerful computer in my house is a nice iMac. I believe that if they released Warframe for Mac, they would get even more players similar to TF2 when they released their Mac compatability.

I never understood why people bought Macs. If you have too much money you can just build a better PC.

this is not part of the topic and what people spend their money on is @(*()$ irrelevant.

Macs are still generally worse for Gaming compared to a Windows PC.

Can't remember why that is cause its late where I am but I know

Macs - Photo / Video Editing

Windows PC - Gaming

and this is still not entirely true. yes, macs are generally worse for gaming compared to windows pc because you cant just install every graphics card into the mac. THATS ALL. cpus are the same you use in your windows pc (core i7 etc), ram is the same, almost everything is the same, except the graphics card and the price you pay for macs. (besides that, you can install almost every high end graphics card if you just patch its bios)

i got a windows pc and a macbook pro myself, i know what i am talking about and i damn well know WHY macs are that expensive but still being bought. pointless to discuss this topic here in a gaming forum...

would the existence of a mac version hurt all you windows boys and girls?

back 2 topic:

for the time being without a mac client, use bootcamp. you could try parallels or vmware or even virtual box but i don't recommend that.

Edited by dEEkAy2k9

Making a mac client would require a change to all of the 3d API calls in the game engine since DirectX doesn't run on Mac's. This is quite a lot of work, and would require a new department/team to convert all of the existing game code. Seeing as the game is in Beta and not even completed. I don't see a mac version coming anytime soon. If developers started using OpenGL to make their games, you'd see a lot more games on Mac/Windows/Linux since that framework works for all OS's and making a switch from one to the other would be much simpler. But only a few games actually use it. As for your Mac issue though, you can install bootcamp which will allow you to install Windows on the machine and play your games.

I'm running it on a Mac, but I'm using windows 7.

It's the operating systems fault gaming is good on Mac, it just isn't well supported by both Apple and Developers of game. (and I can't blame them)

The hardware in Macs is easily on par with lots of other decent laptops but the pricing is ridiculous.

The only reason I have a Mac is because of a more then half price deal I got through a supplier, I could literally get no equivalent hardware specs anywhere else for the same price.

It's ironic because I've despised apple and their products for years. I think it's more about pricing and people using them as fashion accessories that is the problem.

Anywho.. if you only have a mac and want to play warframe you can easily install windows now, they provide the software to do it on their website. I guess they have realized lots of people just don't want to use OSX.
So far (1 year) windows has run perfectly, and I haven't logged into OSX.

Edited by aza-industries

There are graphics cards for mac BTW... I don't have one, I just knew about this.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130912

And you can actually use the normal PC versions of those. The difference is the EFI support that lets you see the pre-OS boot sequence, which is also where you can hold the Option key and pick a bootable drive. However those cards are for the Mac Pro tower, which is due for a serious update... hopefully sometime this year... maybe.

Also funnily enough http://mashable.com/2013/04/25/macbook-pro-best-performing-windows/

So what you're really going to see is MacBook Pros are about as on par as your going to get with any other pre-packaged laptop vender.

NOTHING will beat scratch build on price point.

=====

Now, why no Waframe client for Mac? As a MacPro using fellow (I got soft I use heavly on both OS) the issue is DirectX. Also Apple is still behind on its OpenGL support (maybe 10.9 Apple, come on guys), but mostly DirectX. There are options to "wrap" DirectX 9 which you see done on many Mac Ports these days. However since Warframe is still in Beta it still needs more optimization work. Not to long ago Warframe was loading more on CPU then the GPU... still is in some cases, which would be a hideous expericance in a Wine environment.

It would be best for the game to be stable and optimized before going that route for a port.

Edited by Brasten