The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Collection] Glaive Debut Discussion Breakdown Thread

nullCassielle

Okay, here's the deal. You post your viewpoints on the subject broken down to babytalk. No, I'm serious. It's the best way to reveal logical flaws. I go through, collect names and viewpoints, and edit them all into this post. This way when DE comes around, we point them here and they have EVERYTHING in one post.

The basic format is

"Debut Is X [Tally of number of players who agree that the debut is x]

playername(s) - viewpoint"

Where a player agrees with multiple viewpoints, their name will appear multiple times but they only show up once in the tally, which is to keep track of whether the majority of the community feels there should be a change or not. This is all simply data for the developers. If you notice discrepencies, point them out.

Because the ones who disagree with the debut are the ones who want things changed, I believe the devs should see their input first.

Debut Is Bad [13]

CaligoIllioneus, Shion963, Gestalt, Mr.Mango - Glaive was a highly wanted weapon. It should be rare to highlight its worth. Alerts are rare. Alerts, however, are based on dumb luck, on being online at the right 30-45 minutes. Alerts are not challenging, and are not a goal you strive for. You don't do anything, you just have to be online when they appear to basically be freely given the item. You don't actually earn the item. Thus the Glaive needs to be rare in another way.

Blatantfool, Story4, TheTenthDoc, TinFoilMkIV - The Glaive release was poor, but not because of the Glaive. Previous Tenno Reinforcement patches introduced weapons in a smoother, fairer fashion. One that meant you could make a real goal out of a weapon. You play to get anything new or you pay to have it right away. The BluePrint being tied to Alerts doesn't present this. Instead it cares none if you play a lot or not at all. Only that you are there when the RNG says its time. You can't truly make a goal out of RNG and this takes from the game and the player.

whinin - Paris and Glaive are rare old Tenno weapons. Yet Paris blueprint is in the market and not Glaive. Glaive is an exclusive unique weapon. Players want an exclusive unique weapon. By putting its blueprint into the Alerts makes it more elusive. Resulted in backlash like we all have been seeing on the forums.

Quetzhal, CaligoIllioneus, Story4, Shion963, KingTaro, Gestalt, Mr.Mango, Brasten, TinFoilMkIV, Modded, TunaMayo - The anticipation of the playerbase for the Glaive was mishandled. It should have been clear from the start that the blueprint would only be obtainable via alert. Since that wasn't the case, it led to excitement and expectations being dashed upon checking the market, and ultimately resulted in the current backlash. The alert system is not an appropriate way to introduce an entirely new class of weapon. While the excitement of getting a rare upgrade or new weapon belonging to an existing class fits the random nature of the alerts, a new weapon class that borders on gameplay changing does not.

TheTenthDoc - People should never, ever, ever be posting on the forums "why isn't this blueprint in the shop" when an item is introduced to the game. That represents a phenomenal error in communication to the players. DE needs to make it clear from the get-go in the future (and also from the patch notes!).

Debut Is Good [5]

nullqasael, Fornicate, Venarge - The Glaive was a highly wanted weapon. It is an Orokin relic. The lore says Orokin relics should be rare. The glaive should be hard to get because of this. Alerts are rare. The glaive needed to be in alerts. In order to provide a method for desperate players to get it faster, a method of instant purchase is required. Platinum only purchasing maintains a degree of rarity. Platinum only purchasing is a source of revenue. The glaive needed to have platinum only purchase.

Tyrian3k, Ageless_Emperion - There are not enough good weapons available as alert rewards. The glaive is a new and interesting weapon. The glaive needed to be an alert reward. The glaive was highly anticipated. Player demand had to be satisfied immediately. Platinum purchases are a way to satisfy player demand. Platinum purchases are a source of income. The glaive needed to be available through platinum purchase.

Edited by nullqasael

Okay, here's the deal. You post your viewpoints on the subject broken down to babytalk. No, I'm serious. It's the best way to reveal logical flaws. I go through, collect names and numbers, and edit them all into this post. This way when DE comes around, we point them here and they have EVERYTHING in one post.

I'll start with mine here.

Debut Is Good [1]

nullqasael - The Glaive was a highly wanted weapon. It is an Orokin relic. The lore says Orokin relics should be rare. The glaive should be hard to get because of this. Alerts are rare. The glaive needed to be in alerts. In order to provide a method for desperate players to get it faster, a method of instant purchase is required. Platinum only purchasing maintains a degree of rarity. Platinum only purchasing is a source of revenue. The glaive needed to have platinum only purchase.

+1 for you sir

Edited by Venarge

Fornicate - Debut is Good + 1

As mentioned earlier, the glaive was a highly anticipated weapon. Its unique style and overall badassery makes it highly coveted and of great value. Therefore, it should be rather difficult to get unless acquired through a micro - transaction, which is the main business model of F2P's. Keep it this way until the initial hype wears off (?). Then make it more accessible to those who patiently waited to acquire it without actually purchasing it.

Fornicate - Debut is Good + 1

As mentioned earlier, the glaive was a highly anticipated weapon. Its unique style and overall badassery makes it highly coveted and of great value. Therefore, it should be rather difficult to get unless acquired through a micro - transaction, which is the main business model of F2P's. Keep it this way until the initial hype wears off (?). Then make it more accessible to those who patiently waited to acquire it without actually purchasing it.

Want to be clear here. Essentially you agree with my breakdown but hope that it's changed after the initial platinum purchase barrage wears off, am I correct?

EDIT: Venarge, am I reading that right as a complete agreement with my breakdown? Or just an agreement with the topic in general?

Edited by nullqasael

Want to be clear here. Essentially you agree with my breakdown but hope that it's changed after the initial platinum purchase barrage wears off, am I correct?

Yessir. I really do hope people post in here. That thread is waaayyy too long. 

Debut was poor. Sorta.

Before now it was always been the same - Tenno Reinforcement patches introduce weapons that sell for Platinum and have a Blueprint. This is consistent and it works out fair. "Who got to use it first." is not the issue here, these items will persist long after the notion of being one of the first to use an item has been dismissed. I am simply not in Favor of updates that trade away the simple introduction for more reliance on the RNG Alerts. They can ask me to grind and if they do I will be content enough, even if the cost is a bit high. Over a thousand Rubedo? Not an issue. Couple hundred Alloy? Sure, I'm game. Thousands of credits are something I'll work up. This is fine, I wont complain about the game asking me to play it.

But that isn't what the Alerts do. The Alerts don't really ask you to play. They just happen. Some day at some random time it'll come up. Then I'll run the mission and finally at that point will having the components matter. But until then all the gameplay doesn't make a difference. I could play hours until the Alert or none at all. I don't care for that. It isn't a goal to set and it sure isn't 'progression' to be waiting around for an omnipresent slot machine to dispense the necessary materials.

All that junk said - I'm not going to go crazy. Having discussed the whole thing with a few other posters I feel like I've really worked down on the issue to how I really feel.

I don't actually care if the Glaive ever gets a BP. I'd appreciate the notion, DE, but that isn't important. It isn't what bothers me about it.

Please just stick to the more consistent Weapon releases. This raises an alarm with me only because of the thought that it might one day be a bit common. That the list of items I rely on RNG to obtain would grow extreme in length. Every new item you add that can be found in alerts makes all items found in alerts less likely to be the one. It makes the idea of having what you want from Warframe a tiny bit harder. That is a pain.

Before now these weapons where always released in the way I feel is most reasonable. I desire all weapons to be introduced like this if possible, I feel it is better for the game. The skins don't matter, do whatever. I feel weapons are very, very different.

But I'm willing to bet it'll be a non-issue. 

Edited by Blatantfool

Debut was poor. Sorta.

Before now it was always been the same - Tenno Reinforcement patches introduce weapons that sell for Platinum and have a Blueprint. This is consistent and it works out fair. "Who got to use it first." is not the issue here, these items will persist long after the notion of being one of the first to use an item has been dismissed. I am simply not in Favor of updates that trade away the simple introduction for more reliance on the RNG Alerts. They can ask me to grind and if they do I will be content enough, even if the cost is a bit high. Over a thousand Rubedo? Not an issue. Couple hundred Alloy? Sure, I'm game. Thousands of credits are something I'll work up. This is fine, I wont complain about the game asking me to play it.

But that isn't what the Alerts do. The Alerts don't really ask you to play. They just happen. Some day at some random time it'll come up. Then I'll run the mission and finally at that point will having the components matter. But until then all the gameplay doesn't make a difference. I could play hours until the Alert or none at all. I don't care for that. It isn't a goal to set and it sure isn't 'progression' to be waiting around for an omnipresent slot machine to dispense the necessary materials.

All that junk said - I'm not going to go crazy. Having discussed the whole thing with a few other posters I feel like I've really worked down on the issue to how I really feel.

I don't actually care if the Glaive ever gets a BP. I'd appreciate the notion, DE, but that isn't important. It isn't what bothers me about it.

Please just stick to the more consistent Weapon releases. This raises an alarm with me only because of the thought that it might one day be a bit common. That the list of items I rely on RNG to obtain would grow extreme in length. Every new item you add that can be found in alerts makes all items found in alerts less likely to be the one. It makes the idea of having what you want from Warframe a tiny bit harder. That is a pain.

Before now these weapons where always released in the way I feel is most reasonable. I desire all weapons to be introduced like this. The skins don't matter, do whatever. I feel weapons are very different.

But I'm willing to bet it'll be a non-issue. 

This is a long one, so I'm going to try to distill it to its essence.

"The glaive was highly anticipated. Traditionally, Tenno Reinforcements come in the form of platinum purchase and blueprint purchase. The glaive does not come in this form. The glaive uses a system based on random number generation and limited time periods for blueprints. This potentially limits players from receiving it for extended periods of time. The anticipation for the glaive combined with this system results in backlash."

Yes?

Cali - Debut is Bad [-1]

Glaive was a highly wanted weapon. It should be rare to highlight its worth. Alerts are rare. Alerts, however, are based on dumb luck, on being online at the right 30-45 minutes. Alerts are not challenging, and are not a goal you strive for. You don't do anything, you just have to be online when they appear to basically be freely given the item. You don't actually earn the item. Thus the Glaive needs to be rare in another way. Currently most challenging missions are high wave Endless Defense. Therefore, making it so there's a chance for Glaive BPs to drop from these. Also a very good moment to truly add different reward tiers to Endless Defense.  This way the Glaive can truly be a goal you have to work towards to. Much more satisfying. And fair.

I also want to stress that there are a low of strawmans going around, where all the whiners are haters that just want the Glaive right now. This is not so. I just want rare, valuable items, that you actually need to work forward to. You never have to work towards the Glaive. Or you get it freely with platinum, or you get it freely from an alert due to being a Chosen One who happened to be there at the right time. I want skill or effort to factor into these things.

Edited by CaligoIllioneus

Cali - Debut is Bad [-1]

Glaive was a highly wanted weapon. It should be rare to highlight its worth. Alerts are rare. Alerts, however, are based on dumb luck, on being online at the right 30-45 minutes. Alerts are not challenging, and are not a goal you strive for. You don't do anything, you just have to be online when they appear to basically be freely given the item. You don't actually earn the item. Thus the Glaive needs to be rare in another way.

I'm going to try to strip the solutions out. That's something I think we can trust the developers themselves to do better than us, honestly. What I have quoted is what I'll use -- if you have an issue with this, PM me and I'll explain all my reasoning behind it, it's the kind of thing I'd rather not put in this topic, too distracting.

This is a long one, so I'm going to try to distill it to its essence.

"The glaive was highly anticipated. Traditionally, Tenno Reinforcements come in the form of platinum purchase and blueprint purchase. The glaive does not come in this form. The glaive uses a system based on random number generation and limited time periods for blueprints. This potentially limits players from receiving it for extended periods of time. The anticipation for the glaive combined with this system results in backlash."

Yes?

Sorta. Here, I'll try again for brevity.

"The Glaive release was poor, but not because of the Glaive. Previous Tenno Reinforcement patches introduced weapons in a smoother, fairer fashion. One that meant you could make a real goal out of a weapon. You play to get anything new or you pay to have it right away. The BluePrint being tied to Alerts doesn't present this. Instead it cares none if you play a lot or not at all. Only that you are there when the RNG says its time. You can't truly make a goal out of RNG and this takes from the game and the player. I sincerely hope that future weapons refrain from this type of release. If this ever became common the list of items you get from Alerts will get longer, thus the chances of receiving what you desire slimmer."

I'm poor at it but I gave it my best.

Whinin - Debut is Bad[-1]

"Dating back to the time of the first Tenno, the GLAIVE is a uniquely deadly weapon."

"Based on one of the world's oldest weapon designs... The PARIS uses a chargeable magnetic field to launch arrows capable of impaling enemies to walls."

Paris and Glaive are rare old Tenno weapons. Yet Paris blueprint is in the market and not Glaive. Glaive is an exclusive unique weapon. Players want an exclusive unique weapon. By putting its blueprint into the Alerts makes it more elusive. Resulted in backlash like we all have been seeing on the forums.

I would recommend deleting the number next to Debut is Bad/Good. This makes it feel like a vote between two Black and White points of view, and 'tis not so. For example I disagree with whinin as much as I disagree with you.

Also, this thread is definitely not representative of the whole thus making it look like a vote is a bit wrong, in my opinion.

Cali, the numbers beside those two are more of a "should it change or should it not". It's "They Did Bad" or "They Did Good" and the specific viewpoints on WHY and HOW are enumerated below. You're with whinin insofar as you WANT it to CHANGE. I can see how that's a little confusing, though. When I add Whinin's I'll edit for clarity.

EDIT: Was looking around a bit and missed your edit.

Yeah, it's not representative of the whole, and it's not meant to be. It's meant to be a collection of data, which means it strips anything to do with other players (i.e. the elitist vs entitled bs) out, and strips any logically flawed arguments (plenty on both sides) out, and leaves just the core stuff that actually should matter to DE -- where players SEE THE ISSUE, and HOW they think it can be handled.

Edited by nullqasael

nullqasael, I'd just like to say that we need more players like yourself (people willing to collate feedback for the devs).

---

Debut is bad.

The anticipation of the playerbase for the Glaive was mishandled. It should have been clear from the start that the blueprint would only be obtainable via alert. Since that wasn't the case, it led to excitement and expectations being dashed upon checking the market, and ultimately resulted in the current backlash. I hope this can be avoided in the future.

In addition, the alert system is not an appropriate way to introduce an entirely new class of weapon. While the excitement of getting a rare upgrade or new weapon belonging to an existing class fits the random nature of the alerts, a new weapon class that borders on gameplay changing does not.

---

There, I think I managed to distill my views without distorting them too much?

nullqasael, I'd just like to say that we need more players like yourself (people willing to collate feedback for the devs).

---

Debut is bad.

The anticipation of the playerbase for the Glaive was mishandled. It should have been clear from the start that the blueprint would only be obtainable via alert. Since that wasn't the case, it led to excitement and expectations being dashed upon checking the market, and ultimately resulted in the current backlash. I hope this can be avoided in the future.

In addition, the alert system is not an appropriate way to introduce an entirely new class of weapon. While the excitement of getting a rare upgrade or new weapon belonging to an existing class fits the random nature of the alerts, a new weapon class that borders on gameplay changing does not.

---

There, I think I managed to distill my views without distorting them too much?

By this point there should be a theme starting up here, heh.

"The anticipation of the playerbase for the Glaive was mishandled. It should have been clear from the start that the blueprint would only be obtainable via alert. Since that wasn't the case, it led to excitement and expectations being dashed upon checking the market, and ultimately resulted in the current backlash. The alert system is not an appropriate way to introduce an entirely new class of weapon. While the excitement of getting a rare upgrade or new weapon belonging to an existing class fits the random nature of the alerts, a new weapon class that borders on gameplay changing does not."

One sentence and two words (I hope [...] In addition,) removed. This takes the person out and leaves the data. Which is a bit cold, but trust me -- theyll have to look places other than here for some of the most important stuff. Let's keep this as short, sweet and nearly-machine-readable as possible so they can spend less time on the biggest repository?

In other words... tell me if you have an issue with my edit.

By this point there should be a theme starting up here, heh.

"The anticipation of the playerbase for the Glaive was mishandled. It should have been clear from the start that the blueprint would only be obtainable via alert. Since that wasn't the case, it led to excitement and expectations being dashed upon checking the market, and ultimately resulted in the current backlash. The alert system is not an appropriate way to introduce an entirely new class of weapon. While the excitement of getting a rare upgrade or new weapon belonging to an existing class fits the random nature of the alerts, a new weapon class that borders on gameplay changing does not."

One sentence and two words (I hope [...] In addition,) removed. This takes the person out and leaves the data. Which is a bit cold, but trust me -- theyll have to look places other than here for some of the most important stuff. Let's keep this as short, sweet and nearly-machine-readable as possible so they can spend less time on the biggest repository?

In other words... tell me if you have an issue with my edit.

Nope, works for me!

I agree with Quetzhal. While I didn't list the fact that the Glaive is a new type of weapon in why it shouldn't be in an alert (place normally reserved for skins and weapons whose only appeal over "normal" weapons are their aesthetics) I think the same.

This ties with what I already said, though. I can accept that what amounts to skins or collector's items drop from these alerts I criticize, but a weapon such as the Glaive needs to be the fruit of effort and challenge.

Debut was bad.

Simply put, it was the 'most anticipated weapon yet'. And if you want it, you have to fork over ten bucks for it.

And if anyone wants to prove me otherwise, then kindly show me one single player in the entire world who has a glaive who did not pay for it. Having them 'alert only' makes sense. Having their blueprint in the market and actual weapon available for purchase makes sense. Having the weapon available for purchase and the blueprint only available through alerts makes absolutely no sense and leaves a very, very sour taste in my mouth. I've spent platinum on this game. Every warframe and every weapon I have that is worth anything is supercharged. But I will not pay ten dollars for 'the most highly-anticipated weapon yet'. Maybe if you'd given us a 6-hour alert that rewards you with the glaive. Even if it was on the final planet of pluto (Which I don't even have access to yet), it would be forgivable. But forcing us to pay to be able to get a weapon, or rely entirely on a RNG to give us an alert with it, with no guarantees that we'll even be awake when it happens? That's unforgiveable.

One way or the other would have worked. Available for everyone, or available for no one except for alerts. But you #*($%%@ up.

I really respect how you have handled the free-to-play options and the platinum purchases. This is one of the very few F2P games I'll actually spend money on. But this? This has damaged your reputation severely.

Here's a tip for next time: People will pay if they want the weapon enough. Do not force us to pay if we want it even a little. I would have paid the ten bucks to get the glaive immediately. Because that S#&$ looks cool. But now that you've gone the free-player-hating, nickel-and-diming approach, I'm seriously reconsidering buying more platinum now at all. If this is going to be stand operating procedure for future weapons

Count me out

Edited by Xianyu

Debut was good but poorly executed (can count me as neutral).

From a financial standpoint, a great move from DE. Create a while weapon the community beg for, hype it up, make it silly rare or plat only. Many people have purchased the glaive already so DE have made money, good for them!

But I feel that the release could have been executed in a way that wouldn't alienate those who don't want to pay, ie the people who complain about potatoes etc. In future perhaps when releasing a me highly anticipated weapon have the Banshee approach. Have it as a small chance to be achieved in a given planet/system but not on the plat market. You don't see people complaining about Banshee and we can all agree she is hard to get.

It was a bad debut, in my honest opinion. Mostly because of the community uproar, and partly because I can't get the BP right when I woke up, and play with it tomorrow.

Blame it on the hype, but I just wished we were informed that it would only be Alert exclusive (outside of plat).

I do hope that glaive alerts aren't as rare as other alerts are, as I haven't even gotten my Banshee a Reverb helmet yet, and Excalibur folks have pointed out how there has only been an Avalon alert only once. Perhaps a weekly 'Glaive Hour'?

And no, I do not feel entitled to anything. I just know for a fact that I have rotten chances with lucky draws and such.

Gonna be putting some work into this soon, just need to wake up a bit.

In the meantime -- the past three posts are all going to need modification before I include them. If the owners of these have any issues with the modifications I will make, they need to PM me.

If i may chime in, i think most of the back-lash is because alerts are so unpredictable. You could get one tomorrow while your making some food or go buy some groceries and miss it completely and not have the chance to get the Glaive again for a few weeks. Also it being an unique weapon is also a big problem. If there was the BP for the Glaive in the market, but a similar version with 5 blades but same stats was only available on alerts no one would complain. No one is complaining about the Heat Swords.

So it is my opinion that most of the problems come form the unpredictability that is the alerts system. It is quite problematic especially because it rewards players not for playing the game, but mostly for just waiting on twitter to see the alerts that they want. Once you have the resources you just have to wait and see if anything comes up, but not actually playing. Playing the game makes people love the game and maybe even pay for it, not waiting to see if you'll get lucky today and be able to get a good alert reward and it's actually frustrating if you lose an important one like the Glaive alert.

I think that a solution would be to make important alerts that drop good ? rewards (e.g. not artefacts) on a 12 or 24 hour timer, this way players are rewarded for always looking and being in touch with the game, but are not penalized for not checking it every 30 minutes.

If i may chime in, i think most of the back-lash is because alerts are so unpredictable. You could get one tomorrow while your making some food or go buy some groceries and miss it completely and not have the chance to get the Glaive again for a few weeks. Also it being an unique weapon is also a big problem. If there was the BP for the Glaive in the market, but a similar version with 5 blades but same stats was only available on alerts no one would complain. No one is complaining about the Heat Swords.

So it is my opinion that most of the problems come form the unpredictability that is the alerts system. It is quite problematic especially because it rewards players not for playing the game, but mostly for just waiting on twitter to see the alerts that they want. Once you have the resources you just have to wait and see if anything comes up, but not actually playing. Playing the game makes people love the game and maybe even pay for it, not waiting to see if you'll get lucky today and be able to get a good alert reward and it's actually frustrating if you lose an important one like the Glaive alert.

I think that a solution would be to make important alerts that drop good ? rewards (e.g. not artefacts) on a 12 or 24 hour timer, this way players are rewarded for always looking and being in touch with the game, but are not penalized for not checking it every 30 minutes.

I am going to need to edit this too.... let's see.

Actually, it looks like you just plain agree with blatantfool EDIT: and Quetzhal :EDIT on this subject. For the sake of being fair to the developers in terms of how much they have to read, I'm sticking your name beside his. Read it, and if you disagree feel free to PM me about it.

Edited by nullqasael

Debut was bad.

Simply put, it was the 'most anticipated weapon yet'. And if you want it, you have to fork over ten bucks for it.

And if anyone wants to prove me otherwise, then kindly show me one single player in the entire world who has a glaive who did not pay for it. Having them 'alert only' makes sense. Having their blueprint in the market and actual weapon available for purchase makes sense. Having the weapon available for purchase and the blueprint only available through alerts makes absolutely no sense and leaves a very, very sour taste in my mouth. I've spent platinum on this game. Every warframe and every weapon I have that is worth anything is supercharged. But I will not pay ten dollars for 'the most highly-anticipated weapon yet'. Maybe if you'd given us a 6-hour alert that rewards you with the glaive. Even if it was on the final planet of pluto (Which I don't even have access to yet), it would be forgivable. But forcing us to pay to be able to get a weapon, or rely entirely on a RNG to give us an alert with it, with no guarantees that we'll even be awake when it happens? That's unforgiveable.

One way or the other would have worked. Available for everyone, or available for no one except for alerts. But you #*($%%@ up.

I really respect how you have handled the free-to-play options and the platinum purchases. This is one of the very few F2P games I'll actually spend money on. But this? This has damaged your reputation severely.

Here's a tip for next time: People will pay if they want the weapon enough. Do not force us to pay if we want it even a little. I would have paid the ten bucks to get the glaive immediately. Because that S#&$ looks cool. But now that you've gone the free-player-hating, nickel-and-diming approach, I'm seriously reconsidering buying more platinum now at all. If this is going to be stand operating procedure for future weapons

Count me out

This really doesn't feel like this is the topic for this. It feels like a kneejerk reaction.

DE already said they're going to use this as a learning experience, this topic is to HELP them with that.

If you could come back when you've calmed down and taken assumptions about what the developers were thinking out of this, I'd be happy to add another viewpoint. But I can't in good conscience put down what you've said so far in any form because it boils down to "I think you turned evil and I don't like it" when you don't know what they were trying to do.