Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Making Nullifiers More Fun & Rewarding While Keeping Their Core Mechanic In Place

HolidayPi3

Yes-- another topic on Nullifiers. TBH, I like that we're presented with an enemy that can defend itself against our insane powers. But right now, the way we deal with them is just flat out boring, and dying to them just feels frustrating. Here's my take on the matter.

Right now, we have two ways of taking out Nullifiers:

> Shoot their shield until it goes down. Then kill the nullifier. (Low risk, low reward) Boring.

> Run into their shields, disable all your powers and buffs, and kill the nullifer. (High risk, low reward) Intense, but not satisfying.

I propose to add some additional rewards into the equation for those of us that like to live on the edge. Right now, walking into a Nullifier's shield when there's a squad inside is an absolute death trap. And if you don't run high RoF weapons, you've no choice but to run in, disable the Nullifier, and try to kill all the crewmen and moas and techs and drones... yeah. Deathtrap.

Let's make Nullifiers explode.

Sounds totally radical, but hear me out. Keep the gameplay mechanic of shooting their shields = constant shield shrinkage. That can be our "low risk, low reward" approach to nullifiers. Now for those moments when we decide to run into their shields to disable them, let's add some spice.

Every time we kill a Nullifier while his null shields are up, make the shield implode; causing an AoE radial explosion which could do a number of things. I'll let you guys decide-- Stun, deal damage, or restore our energy. Or a combination of these. Or all of these. High risk, high reward.

This would solve the issue of minimal counterplay for Nullifiers housing full squads, especially for those of us that play caster frames / precision weapons. 

It would allow us to target a Nullifier squad, dash in, burst down the Nullifier, stun all the enemies originally inside the shield, restore some energy, and allow us wreak unholy vengeance upon the survivors.

In my opinion, this proposal improves upon the less favorable way of dealing with Nullifiers, and rewards our risk.

Your ideas are not bad, but it's still my opinion that the Nullifier shield can not stay in their current form. What you propose does not alleviate the issue of slow-firing powerful weapons being 99.9% useless against these shields, forcing you to either bring a tanky frame or a high RoF weapon.

Other than that, nice suggestion.

Your ideas are not bad, but it's still my opinion that the Nullifier shield can not stay in their current form. What you propose does not alleviate the issue of slow-firing powerful weapons being 99.9% useless against these shields, forcing you to either bring a tanky frame or a high RoF weapon.

Other than that, nice suggestion.

Wow, as a user of primarily precision weapons, I'm surprised I overlooked this point. I'd definitely have to think more on this, as basing the shield off of a % of bullets in your gun's mag would probably open up another can of worms entirely.

I want this moment to happen when i kill a nullifier

2n8d63q.jpg

This was exactly what I was thinking when I made this post. Lol

I fail to see how this is a "high risk, high reward" when the "risk" only starts 5 meters away from the enemy, ie AFTER you get into the shield, and the reward literally happens less then ONE second later when the shield explodes.

You can already slide copter through the middle, kill everything within Reach distance, and not bother looking around.

All you want is a melee player triggered AoE bomb.

Edited by DSpite

I fail to see how this is a "high risk, high reward" when the "risk" only starts 5 meters away from the enemy, ie AFTER you get into the shield, and the reward literally happens less then ONE second later when the shield explodes.

You can already slide copter through the middle, kill everything within Reach distance, and not bother looking around.

All you want is a melee player triggered AoE bomb.

False. This is not viable at higher levels when the shield is loaded with techs, moas, and Ospreys. You will get shredded if you linger too long in front of the bubble, and it is even MORE dangerous once you're inside. You cannot deal with them if you choose a squishy frame or cannot take down the bubble with a high RoF weapon.

It is high risk high reward if the bubble is loaded. There is very little if there's only the nullifier. The explosion would only take place in the previous radius of the bubble.

Edited by HolidayPi3

False. This is not viable at higher levels when the shield is loaded with techs, moas, and Ospreys. You will get shredded if you linger too long in front of the bubble, and it is even MORE dangerous once you're inside. You cannot deal with them if you choose a squishy frame or cannot take down the bubble with a high RoF weapon.

It is high risk high reward if the bubble is loaded. There is very little if there's only the nullifier. The explosion would only take place in the previous radius of the bubble.

Really? Higher level? Is that the answer to everything? How high level?

Level 30 anything should be a high level threat. It's our maximum level. Level 50-60 "special" anything should be practically impossible to kill without a full team and good coordination.

I don't really care if level 30 units are giving you trouble. That's what they are designed to do.

You have been murdering them by the thousands for years. It's about time the tables turned.

Edited by DSpite

Really? Higher level? Is that the answer to everything? How high level?

Level 30 anything should be a high level threat. It's our maximum level. Level 50-60 "special" anything should be practically impossible to kill without a full team and good coordination.

I don't really care if level 30 units are giving you trouble. That's what they are designed to do.

Not even that high. Assuming you're using a frame like Loki, Nyx, Mirage, etc. (squishy and solely reliant upon their abilities), enemies don't need to be that high level to shred you. Levels 35-40 are enough with a loaded up bubble.

Challenge is fine. I like challenge. But when whole playstyles (weapons, frames) are nullified because of one common unit, then more counterplay needs to be added. This is a proposal for that.

It's not as if this proposal is allowing us to continue spamming 4 through walls ala Viver / Draco. That's not even gameplay. This is a proposal for rewarding risk.

Again, there is literally no way to deal with this combination of units if you're using a caster frame with heavy hitting, single shot weapons (Hek for close range, Marelok for long range, daggers for mobility -- balanced loadout, one would think). This opens up an opportunity for them to handle this scenario while still maintaining the difficulty. Hek, I would go as far as to say playing it safe and shooting the bubble from afar with any weapon is a mind numbingly boring approach that makes Nullifiers offer no different gameplay than the shield Eximi. Hence my suggestion. Fun, fast paced, and rewarding while still limiting our annoying addiction of pressing 4 to win.

As stated before, the effects of the AoE are confined to the radius of the previous globe, and I never said that the explosion should instant kill everything. The whole mechanic would open up a window for complete reckless abandon that could be rewarded in a satisfying way.

Edited by HolidayPi3