Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Google/warframe/gifting Conspiracy

Kasumi-

Today, Rebecca made a thread reminding us to keep our accounts safe.

Today, someone in China tried (TRIED) to hack one of my Gmail accounts, specifically the one I have tied to Steam and Warframe. (somewhat related: I don't click on people's links ever. I have no idea why someone would be hacking my Gmail account, but I have a feeling that the Prime item gifting event I've been running has something to do with it.)

Is coincidence conspiring against me?

Illuminati?

EDIT: I've also been receiving unhealthy amounts of friend requests on Steam from an [undefined], which I looked up and is apparently a phishbot. Blocking them does nothing. They can just add me agin. But that's something I'll be complaining on the Steam forums about.

Edited by Kaiczar

most people trying to get directly into your email is essentially trying to steal at which EVERYTHING you may own. regardless if its used for gaming they could steal all your games from you or charge your games if they have in game purchasing.

it is actually VERY problematic if they successfully get into your email. i who have been hacked before not into my email but into various game accounts from world of warcraft to Xbox live know that keeping your password Large with symbols and numbers is a great way of having it protected and have a security key attached/added when able.

I think it has more to do with the fact that the recent Sony hack has made everyone hyper-aware of online/internet security.

It should go without saying that you should keep your account credentials safe and have backup plans/extra security when applicable (i.e. Google allows you to verify your cell phone, and that all new logins require a code which gets sent to your phone). Steam also has Steamguard which functions in a similar fashion (except that they e-mail you).

If you use an online service which supports security tokens, use it!

EDIT: I've also been receiving unhealthy amounts of friend requests on Steam from an [undefined], which I looked up and is apparently a phishbot. Blocking them does nothing. They can just add me agin. But that's something I'll be complaining on the Steam forums about.

As a person who used to trade a lot on TF2, I can tell you that this "[undefined]" is not a single person, it's several "people" who either have their name set to "[undefined]" or have their name set to literally nothing. If someone with that name adds you just block them, don't even accept, and don't just deny it. Phishing bots have been rampant on steam for some time now... Reference: I used to get between 3-5 phishing attempts on my account per day. Thankfully now that number has drastically decreased...

Edited by Stratego89

As a person who used to trade a lot on TF2, I can tell you that this "[undefined]" is not a single person, it's several "people" who either have their name set to "[undefined]" or have their name set to literally nothing. If someone with that name adds you just block them, don't even accept, and don't just deny it. Phishing bots have been rampant on steam for some time now... Reference: I used to get between 3-5 phishing attempts on my account per day. Thankfully now that number has drastically decreased...

Oh I still have that problem. I know for sure it's not a single person, and I get around 8 requests a day from people with private accounts, which I block instantly. All of which can still add me despite them being blocked.

I did used to trade a lot in TF2 as well, but haven't for months.

I think it has more to do with the fact that the recent Sony hack has made everyone hyper-aware of online/internet security.

It should go without saying that you should keep your account credentials safe and have backup plans/extra security when applicable (i.e. Google allows you to verify your cell phone, and that all new logins require a code which gets sent to your phone). Steam also has Steamguard which functions in a similar fashion (except that they e-mail you).

If you use an online service which supports security tokens, use it!

Recent Sony hack? I am unaware of any recent attacks on Sony. 

As for my accounts, I do try my best to keep them secure. My main Gmail account has that second layer of security that is cell phone verification, and is...I forget the term...linked to another one of my emails.

I've changed a bunch of my passwords because of what happened today to be safe.

Recent Sony hack? I am unaware of any recent attacks on Sony. 

It's been all over the news for the past week or so.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/12/09/technology/security/sony-hacking-roundup/

Basically Sony Pictures got hacked. Pretty much all of their data was stolen. Including extremely sensitive data like employee information, e-mails, social security numbers, et cetera.

It's been all over the news for the past week or so.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/12/09/technology/security/sony-hacking-roundup/

Basically Sony Pictures got hacked. Pretty much all of their data was stolen. Including extremely sensitive data like employee information, e-mails, social security numbers, et cetera.

Whoa, that's pretty serious.

Good luck cleaning that mess up, Sony...