Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Lag And Region Selection

BoogieMan82

Hello all,

I have found that some players do not know about "region selecton" under the options in Warframe. Choosing a region near you will help with lag issues at the latency between people will lower.

When I left it on the default "East Coast - US" I was constantly getting hosts in Japan, Europe, Russia, etc. Running a traceroute to the host I couldn't belive the number of hops and it was no supprise that I was seeing pings of 350+ ms to the host's IP.

I live in Central US so I switched it to "West Coast - US". Now most people I find are in the Central US and Canada all the way to the West Coast of NA. My pings to the host IP have dropped to sub 200 ms (often sub 100 ms) and there is very little lag.
(Info for the devs: Internet connection is a Fiber OP 60 mpbs down, 6mbps up. I get pings within 300 miles of me to ISP's sub 15 ms, and ping google.com at 21 ms).

To those who don't know what option I am talking about I will include an image for you to browse at your leisure:

wrfrm-20130428-101118.jpg

DEVS: Could it be programmed that, by default selects the region you are in based on your IP trace? If people then want to change it they can, but this could help with a lot of newer players that don't know all the settings.

IF this isn't possible, could this also be added to the FAQ or someplace where newer players can easily find out about "region selection"?

Edited by BoogieMan82

+1 but they also need to have restrictions on who can host games as well.  If you don't have a good enough connection you shouldn't be allowed to host, or at the very least, should only be allowed to host private missions.

Edited by Aggh

It automatically sets itself to your region, it's not really helping.

We need to be able to set a ping limit like in other games. Anything above 70 is atrocious for me.

It automatically sets itself to your region, it's not really helping.

We need to be able to set a ping limit like in other games. Anything above 70 is atrocious for me.

I did not know that.  I thought that it didn't since when I chose East Coast (which was my default) I got people from all around the world, but when I chose West Coast I only get people in North America.

I did not know that.  I thought that it didn't since when I chose East Coast (which was my default) I got people from all around the world, but when I chose West Coast I only get people in North America.

That is odd.