Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Where's This Game Going?

ChaotikDreamz

Good points. There is also the fact that the most sought after items are not farmable, just mods.

I know i probably should have waited till U8 was out to post this but these are my opinions and concerns as of now. Don't get me worng i played this in in the first stages of Beta and i must admit the dev's have done a bang up job fixing up warframe cuz if anyone knows how buggy and dreadful early betas were then now what it is now is  a HUGE change. Not saying the game sucks in no way just needs a lil more tweaking in the areas i stated that's all.

I have been playing since CB too. I've seen them grow. However, this endgame absence thing has been going for too long. Hopefully U8 will adress some of that.

I hope they start focusing on endgame options instead of anything else. End game is what keeps the majority of the playerbase, and we have seen the steam population dropping because of that nihilistic problem within the game.

I have a lot of faith in them thats why I gave out 50$. I strongly suggest to rethink the game's priority list.

New environment/weapons keeps people playing for about 2 days, while a good end game keeps them wired for months. Please build on your gameplay mechanics instead of just extending on the same usual.

This game is NOT an mmo...Its a coop shooter. It doesnt have regular quests nor does it have any story at the moment. And playing a beta for 300 hours is far more worth than any mmo played for 1000´s of hours....

The literally millions of gamers that continue to play MMOs would disagree with you (I'm not one of them mind you).  I'm at work currently so I can't pull up Steam to check what is was classified under but it's still Pseudo-MMO with the Clan and Guild aspect that is now going to be focused on.

The current platform doesn't suggest longevity considering the absence of an achievement system, PVP, progression beyond farming for new items only to repeat the cycle, and the connectivity issues that are persistent.

Again, this is fine since it is a Beta, and there are plenty of games I've played for only a few hours and enjoyed immensely (Zenoclash anyone?) but there seems to be zero incentive to spend money on the game in the near future (which is what the DE should be going for) and simply a "time saving" mechanic doesn't fly since 90% of the game is grinding to get more stuff.  If you save time by purchasing items with plat you're pretty much defeating the purpose of playing the game in its current form and I believe money sinks or Clan Dojos are NOT the solution.

Substantial difficulty increase, hardcore mode, deadly traps, and more enemies with mechanics are what're needed to keep combat fresh.

And some kind of reward system for a sweet kill to encourage crazy ninja stunts, which sadly aren't always even possible or even effective due to level design.

Have you OP ever played shooters games? This is a shooters game you shoot and kill stuff rinse and repeat

That's a bit different. Considering this game is coop and the learning curve is based on the amount of content. Whereas, shooters the learning curve stretches as the players get better with the game. 

Sorry to burst your bubble, but almost every game is based on grinding...

CoD - grind kills unlock guns etc

(warframe - grind kills unlock guns)

Battlefield - grind kills unlock guns etc

(warframe - grind kills unlock guns)

WoW- Farming

(warframe - farming materials, and mods)

MMORPG- grind mobs to increase character lvl

(warframe - grind mobs to increase frame lvl)

The only genre this game can't relate to as far as online gameplay goes is RTS.  However, there isn't really any ranking system in RTS.  Usually just stats, however some games grow with a successful user to create an exponentially more powerful force.

There aren't too many games that this game does not relate with aside from ones with a rich story, and the afore mentioned RTS.  However, lore will introduce more story to the game.  From the sounds of Steve reading up on RISK strategies, clans and dojo's could turn into a type of RTS style gameplay.  I highly doubt it will feel like C&C but who knows.

What you are missing is the hook.  The hook is what keeps you mindlessly repeating something to attain certain goals, normally this is done through competition. Warframe is missing that element of competition, but will more than likely be added in some form in the future.  Want incentive to play? Get a head start on future players. 

As far as inventory slots are concerned, the arguement from both sides make valid arguements.  On one side of the coin there is the need for the developers to make money to maintain, operate, and justify further growth.  On the other, F2P users are a little nerfed by being limited to 2 frames.  So a happy medium I feel would be to remove the free plat appropriated to new users in favor of a total of 3 frame slots, and a free potato on their first frame and skana.  This would allow them to feel potential of other frames if only they had the mod points, perhaps coaxing them to buy plat or play more in hopes of catching a potato alert.  3 frames would allow 2 primary and a spot they could farm build and try out the others.  To make this a more viable option, make the sell value for frames scale in terms of the cost to create.

F2P players are always going to want more, even those who have paid want more.  It's the first rule of economics, unlimited demand vs limited supply. In this case, devs time for both sides and more stuff for F2P users. However, the F2P user base should not be ignored entirely simply because, word of mouth.  If they like the game they will tell others.  The people they tell may have the ability to make a purchase to do things though they can not.  Easing their suffering makes their interpretation of the game sound better when they speak of the game.  Best way to ease their suffering is to limit their choices. 

Sorry for the wall of text.

tl;dr

F2P want more stoof

P2P wants them to pay so the devs can make more stoof

Take away free plat for F2P and give them potato starter frame, potato skana, and 3 frames slots

(maybe 1-2 weapon slots with Mastery Point rank due to the extent of weapons currently will keep them playing)

(maybe increase sell price of frames, to make selling and building a different one more viable)

@Hellscare while i do agree that there are more sides to the slot dilemma, which have been debated on and on and on on the forums, it is my opinion that slots should be made purchasable with credits. Why? A simple reason really. Over time, more and more warframes and weapons will appear. Maybe the 4 slots kinda works now, but do you really think that players will keep playing the game when you will have 20-30 warframes and over 100 weapons? I don't think that it will work. Instead make slots available with credits, let's say 200.000 for warframes and 100.000 for weapons so that players will be more inclined to either pay to get them faster or, since they can have anything in the game, pay money for a skin or color pack for their prefered warframe.

With limited slots, a new player will probaly leave after he gets 1 or 2 warframes and 8 weapons because he will be overwhelmed by the choices that he can make and he knows that his progress is being hampered unless he pays money. Also, if he has more warframes he will have one that he will love and because he will get attached to it he will want for it to be unique, whcih will lead to him buying skins or color packs. That's the way i see it anyway, i paid for some skins in LoL just because i liked the heroes and to support the developer.

@Hellscare while i do agree that there are more sides to the slot dilemma, which have been debated on and on and on on the forums, it is my opinion that slots should be made purchasable with credits. Why? A simple reason really. Over time, more and more warframes and weapons will appear. Maybe the 4 slots kinda works now, but do you really think that players will keep playing the game when you will have 20-30 warframes and over 100 weapons? I don't think that it will work. Instead make slots available with credits, let's say 200.000 for warframes and 100.000 for weapons so that players will be more inclined to either pay to get them faster or, since they can have anything in the game, pay money for a skin or color pack for their prefered warframe.

With limited slots, a new player will probaly leave after he gets 1 or 2 warframes and 8 weapons because he will be overwhelmed by the choices that he can make and he knows that his progress is being hampered unless he pays money. Also, if he has more warframes he will have one that he will love and because he will get attached to it he will want for it to be unique, whcih will lead to him buying skins or color packs. That's the way i see it anyway, i paid for some skins in LoL just because i liked the heroes and to support the developer.

We all have opinions on the matter, like I said before I see where you are coming from.  It is in my experience however, that people will simply ignore frivilous cosmetics for $.  You may do so, but what portion of the market follows your line of thought?

It would be my guess that the majority would be willing to say "Here take my money I want to play with more toys!", before the others said "Oooh that's perrrty take my money and gimme gimme!".

I too want to know in which direction DE is heading in the long run.

Like what is planned regarding different content like missions etc, or if they are planning to add more player interaction like trading mods with friends & stuff like that.

I too want to know in which direction DE is heading in the long run.

Like what is planned regarding different content like missions etc, or if they are planning to add more player interaction like trading mods with friends & stuff like that.

I think we all want to know their ultimate goal for this game but if they disclose that to us then they're going to be fixed on that path. On the bright side of things, the constant updates will keep us surprised til the date of release : )

I am not asking what their long run plans are just stating current game play and situations of the game do not in any way benefit or grant any source of longevity. Sooner or Later every player is going to hit that wall specially with the mastery ranking system of OK! i played this warframe and weapon for the 3rd time or so enough time to move on. The games current state offers no benefit at all for keeping anything other then your favorite frame and favorite weapons for mass farming ease. Pretty much after getting one setup you like getting potatos for that setup and well everything else is just level it and sell it repeat rinse reuse.

Next on slots yes they should be buyable for credits. One major reason looking back over some of the many posted threads on the subject one reason they shouldn't be buyable for credits was this. Making them buyable with credits would increase the server usage/storage  <<<<< I laugh at this everytime it gets said. Seriously on the real note a true free to play player/grinder is not going to buy slots what so ever period. Instead so said person will easily just make another account which in turn takes up a hell of a lot more space then a so said slot. After awhile so said acount will be full then off to make another account leaving many dormant accounts left rotting in sever space.

Also others stating that cosmetics aren't big sellers WHAT! I don't know what your playing or what you have played but cosmetics offer the biggest selling points in F2P games. Other then the F2P games that are marketed to P2W.

Let's be honest players I am pretty sure that the majority of the founders in no way shape or form bought the package to support DE. Most likely it was purchased for the Excal,skana,lato Prime. And the badging Why to stand out from others. Just look into the game now you see more sentinels with cosmetics now then you do the Glaive. Why cuz weapons are throw away sentinels offer a way to stand out in the crowd. Honestly i am prepairing to buy my sentinel some wings. Hopefully a tail if/when they offer a better one then the tube that one is well a let down.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but almost every game is based on grinding...

Yes, but the incentive to grind, or the hook as you called it, is completely missing. 

There is no reason to get Mastery beyond rank 4 currently other than bragging rights and the only thing you get once you reach mastery rank 4 is the Hek, which I had no interest in using since 75% of the player base runs around with it.

The ninja aspect is cool, but there simply aren't enough opportunities for stylized kills and many times it is completely impractical when you're suddenly swarmed by 15+ enemies.

What would be an incentive, in my opinion, is some kind of scaling system that rewards unique killings and award XP based on that.

Headshot?  Horizontal wall run head shot?  Vertical wall run and leapt off for a ground slam melee attack?  Do a ground slide attack, leap into the air, ground slam attack, then finish the guy off while he's on the ground?  Did you chain your abilities with someone else's?  Did you manage to do an ENTIRE stage with a team of 4 people and not get detected once?

You could even assign a "points value" system to stylized kills and moves and make a leader board for it adding a metagame aspect where people would try the most bizarre off the wall crap to try and get an epic score. 

Extra XP and possibly leaderboard hall of fame for most epic kills etc would go a long way to adding more of a hook.

Also BETTER weapons or at least alternate skins etc once you get past mastery rank 4.  I have 6 warframes and I really only care for two of them.

There needs to be more ways to get Mastery rank other than leveling new warframes and weapons as well.

Too much grinding, not enough fun or incentive.

We all have opinions on the matter, like I said before I see where you are coming from.  It is in my experience however, that people will simply ignore frivilous cosmetics for $.  You may do so, but what portion of the market follows your line of thought?

It would be my guess that the majority would be willing to say "Here take my money I want to play with more toys!", before the others said "Oooh that's perrrty take my money and gimme gimme!".

League of Legends and DOTA 2 would like to have a word with you...

Also in TF2 most people purchase hats with money, which are just for show.

Edited by Story4

As someone who comes from Mass Effect 3 multiplayer, I feel that this game offers much more, even in this state.

First of all there are many more ways to play, with different types of mission in comparison to a 10 wave horde mode.

Furthermore getting new gear is much more satisfying as you have to earn the credits for BP and get the materials to make them rather than just gambling on a random store, meaning that it is much more possible for a casual player to get the gear they actually want in Warframe given enough time, rather than relying on an arbitrary chance.

Finally since when has shooting/dismembering things gotten old? Generations of games attest to this. Call of Duty, an extremely successful franchise pretty much hasn't changed gameplay wise at all, its still start game, kill things, do objectives, get yelled at by 12 year olds, yet people still play it. 

TL;DR, even unfinished this game is great, Learn to have fun playing it or just take a break.

Story4, on 30 Apr 2013 - 1:13 PM, said:snapback.png

League of Legends and DOTA 2 would like to have a word with you...

Also in TF2 most people purchase hats with money, which are just for show.

naw hellscare's point is correct. he's a masters, its perfectly logical

Edited by Myo86

If anyone wants this game to be harder, then get rid of your mods and run pluto solo...

Play this game to Play it. Have fun by making your own fun.

We as gamers have forgotten how to have fun. We have gotten so obsessed with "grinding" to unlock some mystical "fun" at the end of the grind, but don't realize that the journey is the point of playing, not the destination.

If anyone wants this game to be harder, then get rid of your mods and run pluto solo...

Play this game to Play it. Have fun by making your own fun.

We as gamers have forgotten how to have fun. We have gotten so obsessed with "grinding" to unlock some mystical "fun" at the end of the grind, but don't realize that the journey is the point of playing, not the destination.

that was deep man like totally

but for realzies i agree its the playing thats fun