Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gunsword

DAwGi

Why have a gunblade, when you could have this?GunThatShootsSwords.jpg

It's a gun Frank. A gun that shoots swords.

Also, if anyone's played Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, I want a sword like Sam's. Best gunblade ever.

its not a gunblade, its a high frequency blade that can pretty much cut thru anything

why not just ask for the option to hold a sidearm and a single handed sword/dagger/axe

This right here! It would make singe sidearms so much more viable and would make more sense from a locical-utility perspective.

The original art for the game features a Cal holding a lato and a skana anyway, and other than the animations it wouldn't be that hard to implement.

if we had that technology we'd prolly have superguns too or giant railsnipercannon/assault rifles. Even then unless your using a cannon melee will generally surpass a fire arm, compare a M1911 handgun to a katana in terms of damaging the human body. The katanas going to be way more devastating its just alot less safe to use. However if you throw a cannon into the game i honestly dont see how a katana or anything else could beat that, 1 cannon shell generally blows you to bits.

m1911 colt is antique. But compare being cut by katana to being shot in the belly with frangible bullets. Guess which one will be more painful, oh and you can still survive after single cut.

m1911 colt is antique. But compare being cut by katana to being shot in the belly with frangible bullets. Guess which one will be more painful, oh and you can still survive after single cut.

Bullets aren't nearly as deadly as you seem to think, while certainly dangerous, it is possible to survive multiple rounds from a pistol, just as it's possible to survive a slice from a katana.

In reality, Katana's are famously sharp, they were quite capable of slicing through muscle and bone, I think they were capable of slicing a man in half, but I'm not a historian, so don't quote me on that.

m1911 may be old but its far from a antique the gun has been reinforced and updated countless times. So much that many prefer it over a glock.Thats like saying the m4 is a antique when its had many different version changes all making it better (so has the m1911). By the way a Katana can cut through bone like butter. So being hit by a katana would be way more devastating its honestly scary how powerful that blade is. A single cut depends where it happens same with a single bullet same logic only difference is for example you get shot one in the arm, you have a bullet hole. You barely get wacked in the arm, the arm comes clean off with a katana. A katana wack in the belly I wouldn't even want to see if used by the right person... the damage would be disgusting to see rather. I must add a skilled swordsman with a katana doesn't do "cuts", they would use stabs or slashes (and the slashes from a katana are extremely deadly as so the stabs).

Edited by Klaww

Bullets aren't nearly as deadly as you seem to think, while certainly dangerous, it is possible to survive multiple rounds from a pistol, just as it's possible to survive a slice from a katana.

In reality, Katana's are famously sharp, they were quite capable of slicing through muscle and bone, I think they were capable of slicing a man in half, but I'm not a historian, so don't quote me on that.

When katanas were actually first made the first emperors used to line up criminals to see how many men it could slice through. Probably the most powerful blade ever

Edited by Klaww

Not without getting damaged in return though.

Now, the european Longsword/Zweihänder, on the other hand have many depictions of them cutting an arm off straight through the armour. They can also cut through katanas, btw. The reverse is not true.

[When katanas were actually first made the first emperors used to line up criminals to see how many men it could slice through. Probably the most powerful blade ever

Source?

Not without getting damaged in return though.

Now, the european Longsword/Zweihänder, on the other hand have many depictions of them cutting an arm off straight through the armour. They can also cut through katanas, btw. The reverse is not true.

Source?

Where are your sources? Read a history book, or just watch any standard documentary or even ask a professional swordsman. Im guessing you never read up on the Shoguns. While its true in terms of brute force a longsword could do that it would get damaged itself and would require immense strength especially through armor. 

Heres a test example. Much more powerful than your european longsword. The main reason why the katana is far superior in dismemberment and cutting through is because of its curved blade and also the fact its a single edged. Edited by Klaww

The guy in that vid I linked is an actual swordsmith?

He forged both blades himself?

Both using traditional methods.

Good for you? The katana was still way more deadly. My video is just a test showing exactly that. Even against armor, honestly though if you have straight up muscles the hammer is the best way to go against a armored knight provided you get the first hit you would basically turn him into mashed potatoes through that armored. 

As you can see as well the katana doesn't really get damaged. Thats not to say using your swords will never damage it because wear and tear will always happen only its much more common in the long sword due to how the katana is forged and its thicker single edged blade compared to the longswords not so thick and double edged straight bladed counterpart.

Mainly the history regarding the katana is told by famous shoguns written down through time. They actually do tests today on cutting through pigs even its down right disturbing.

Edited by Klaww

Why is this suddenly a thread about the superiority of the katana. I'd like some people to support the european longsword too. I'd do it but my only source is wikipedia and tvtropes, the former of which easily becomes a target of flames and the latter is not exactly a source per se.

Back to fantastic weapon with firing mechanism built in please.

its not a gunblade, its a high frequency blade that can pretty much cut thru anything

I understand that, but that's only the sword portion of the weapon. I'm talking about how Sam has a gun installed in his sheath that launches the sword at ridiculous velocities. An awesome take on a gunblade, if you ask me.

Why is this suddenly a thread about the superiority of the katana. I'd like some people to support the european longsword too. I'd do it but my only source is wikipedia and tvtropes, the former of which easily becomes a target of flames and the latter is not exactly a source per se.

Back to fantastic weapon with firing mechanism built in please.

if testing isn't sourceable I dont know what is but i agree back to the topic 

Edited by Klaww

I understand that, but that's only the sword portion of the weapon. I'm talking about how Sam has a gun installed in his sheath that launches the sword at ridiculous velocities. An awesome take on a gunblade, if you ask me.

actually does sound kinda cool like how in deadspace you had that gun that fired the sawblades. it wouldn't necessarily ruin the theme either when you think about it.

Edited by Klaww

A gunblade is nothing more than a gun with a bayonet. In the example he gave, it's an illogical knife pistol thing.
In the historical example, it adheres to the idea of a bayonet. However, you have to realize that there is a reason people don't actually use them. Or ever really did.

They're extremely impractical and the "stab and shoot" idea would simply jam your gun. With people jam. They were a fancy idea, and are now a Final Fantasy idea. FF is not known for logical weaponry.

All in all, BAYONETS could see some light in this game. Final Fantasy style "gunblades"? Dear lord I hope not.

Rocket hammers.

Spiral knights has a rocket hammer and it's one of the best weapons in the game...

Monster Hunter has a revolver cylinder hammer and it's one of the best hammers in the game...

More hammers.

Spiral knights has a rocket hammer and it's one of the best weapons in the game...

Monster Hunter has a revolver cylinder hammer and it's one of the best hammers in the game...

More hammers.

The @(*()$ Gunhammer, weapon of the gods. I forgot about that S#&$.

A bullet, shot from a conventional firearm always has a chance of killing you, or leaving you mutilated for life. Even shooting in shoulders/hands/feet is dangerous in terms of bloodloss and (if you were slightly less lucky) permanent damage to bones/joints/muscle, and most people train to aim for the center of mass. And let's not mention supersonic munitions, that just turn bodies into bloody much upon impact.

Katanas are slicing swords. Maybe they are sharp enough to cut through myscle with good swing, but they can't act against armour, and slicing human in half is an old mytho, that worked because a diet of rice washes out calcium from your bones, hence the brittleness. Katana isn't better than a rapier, and certainly can't crush armour quite as well as a bastard sword. Also, they are known to be brittle (up to the point of it being in some japanees codexes of honor).

Edited by GTG3000