Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Name Squatting And Name Changing

Frawg

Question

Like domain squatting, but for names; people register them in anticipation for profit, and never use them.

There's a basic, but popular in pop culture name I wish to change to, but when I go to do the name change, I found out that it's registered. I looked at his profile, _all_ of his stats are 0; no kills, no missions, no time played. From this, I highly suspect the one who registered this name intentionally squatted on it.

I originally wanted this particular name to be my name back when I registered in closed beta, but I think it was sqatted on then too. Fast forward to ~6 months from today, I tested (read '/friended') to see that name was registered and lo and behold, it wasn't. And now it is (again).

I do realise that DE reserves the right to delete accounts that are inactive for 12 months, but unlike 6 months ago, I have the platinum to spend and do not wish to wait another handful of months for the account to expire. (Or if I have to, may I reserve the name?)

I didn't want to send a ticket, as it says they're backlogged, so commuinity/DE, what should I do?

Edited by Frawg

4 answers to this question

I dont see your point here. First come, first serve.

Maybe that guy/girl died after account creating. Maybe he/she is abducted by aliens. Maybe its DE hoax to keep you away from getting that name.

You were late and lose the chance of getting that name. Will you be able to reserve it? I dont think so. You might ask Support to send you a notice when account is removed, but that doesnt mean someone will be faster than you and use that name before you again.