Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Scrap The Energy System. Replace It With Separate Cooldowns For Each Ability

KaizerPrime

This argument is made be a lot of the pro-cooldown camp. But the two do not necessarily go together. We aren't guaranteed more useful skills if they are on cooldown. How were they before when they were on cooldowns? I wasn't around for the closed beta.

When the abilities were originally on CDs they were largely the same as they are now.  They weren't any stronger really than the current abilities.  And it slowed down gameplay far too much so DE decided to move to an energy system.

The biggest issue with CDs is that it slows down gameplay.  Currently you have an incentive to run forwards into the next fight with a bunch of enemies.  If you do that you get more energy orbs, and therefore can use your abilities more.  With a CD system you remove that incentive so what you'll find is people waiting around for all of their CDs to refresh every room or every other room, which would make missions drastically longer.

If you make the abilities take a long time to recharge then you find the missions taking quite a bit longer and making some people annoyed with how long missions take at that point.  An example is take a 20 room mission.  If you have to wait an average of 30 seconds before moving into the next room for your CDs to refresh that adds an extra 10 minutes to your mission.  People already complains that it takes 5 to 15 minutes already for a mission and you want to add 10 more?

But if you say that the CDs would be short then you go to endless power spamming with no thought on what abilities to use or not and essentially a god mode because you are throwing abilities left and right without worrying about ever running out of the ability to use them.  That would make the game even more laughably easy than it is.

You also run the risk of severely limiting some useful combos that people are using, and making them more scared to use their abilities in a group.  The reason for this?  In the current system if a Rhino has 50 energy he can go iron skin, murder a group of enemies and if an ally goes down he can immediately go iron skin again and revive them.  With a CD system in place he might no longer be able to go iron skin and save his friend, causing his friend to bleed out and lose a revive.  In that situation what would be the benefit of using iron skin to kill the enemies?

The same can be applied to Loki's invisibility or decoy.  Instead of becoming a "Do I use this weaker ability or save up for my ultimate, or do I save my ultimate for the boss room" it becomes much more of a "Do I dare risk using this ability because my friend could go down and if he does then he's going to die..."

Add onto that the fact that they would have to find a way to balance how often to cast abilities vs their overall utility and power.  Such as volt's speed.  For the most part its not helpful outside of rushing.  So if they give it a low CD then you would find that volt rushers would be more problematic.  If you give it a long CD then you'll find volt players complaining that their ability takes too long to recharge and that it doesn't match with the abilities usefulness/power.

Furthermore no matter how low the CD there are some abilities that just wont be used much if at all.  Take Excalibur's super jump.  Even if it had a 1 second CD would anyone honestly start using that ability?  Same for the current version of Ash's teleport, with a short CD it would be teleport to enemies more often and get hit in the face before I can do anything.  How would you make abilities like super jump worth the waste in mod points on the warframe by making it on a CD timer?

The final thing is that currently, if you have enough energy you can spam your abilities for a short time.  Mostly because you modded your frame for doing such a thing and should be rewarded for that.  Otherwise you're just weakening the overall power of skills like slash dash and shuriken by making you wait a few seconds between each one.

Edited by Tsukinoki

You still haven't said anything to convince me that the two coincide.

Who is to say that they wouldn't just slap a 3 second fast cooldown on decoy and leave it as powerful as it currently is?

You really do not know, you are inserting your own balance and claiming you know exactly what would happen. Which just means you're talking out of your ...

I'd really like to hear how things were when cooldowns were present.

I already said that i don't know how it will happen, i just said: "If you make a high cool-down, but compensate by making abilities more powerful, i think it will add more depth to the gameplay." 

I did not say if you add cool-down, i said if you add a high cool-down. Really now why am i even responding to you since you don't even read my comment properly?

EDIT: Yeah downvote me when the other guy did not read properly, how mature.

Edited by Story4

I already said that i don't know how it will happen, i just said: "If you make a high cool-down, but compensate by making abilities more powerful, i think it will add more depth to the gameplay." 

I did not say if you add cool-down, i said if you add a high cool-down. Really now why am i even responding to you since you don't even read my comment properly?

And if you add a high CD to abilities you will see the gameplay slow down quite a bit.

They tried a CD system before.  Everyone just waited outside of nearly every room for their CDs to refresh so they could go in and pop their abilities immediately.

With people already complaining about how long missions take think of how much longer it would take if everyone waits 30 to 60 seconds outside of every single room for their abilities to refresh.  They had medium length CDs before the energy system and maps took a lot longer to finish on average than they do now.

Edited by Tsukinoki

I don't understand the whole "If you add cooldowns, people will just wait around for them" As it is, I see people rushing ahead with zero energy and gunning down mooks. The people who'd just wait around for cooldowns to recharge are the same people who'll go around picking every locker and crate to find more energy balls.

There's still a lot of balancing needing to be done to make different powers more appealing, but a cooldown system (assuming the different powers were on different CDs as they should be) would at least not penalize you for using abilities like shock or shuriken. It'd be something you could cast whenever its off CD or when the situation warrants it.

I don't understand the whole "If you add cooldowns, people will just wait around for them" As it is, I see people rushing ahead with zero energy and gunning down mooks. The people who'd just wait around for cooldowns to recharge are the same people who'll go around picking every locker and crate to find more energy balls.

There's still a lot of balancing needing to be done to make different powers more appealing, but a cooldown system (assuming the different powers were on different CDs as they should be) would at least not penalize you for using abilities like shock or shuriken. It'd be something you could cast whenever its off CD or when the situation warrants it.

If you're out of energy you have two options: Run forwards and kill things for more energy, or energy orb hunt containers.  Most people would choose to run forwards to kill for energy orbs because its generally faster.  You make the CD system and suddenly neither of those options are faster.

When they had CDs for abilities, and yes it was a separate CD for each ability, it led to "Hmm, if I wait here X seconds I'll go in pop all my damage abilities and be better off" so people waited around a lot longer than they do currently.  The game was also becoming far more of a 'pop out, use abilities, dive back into cover and wait for them to refresh'.  And that was happening all over the game in nearly all groups when they had the CD system.

"If you make the abilities take a long time to recharge then you find the missions taking quite a bit longer and making some people annoyed with how long missions take at that point.  An example is take a 20 room mission.  If you have to wait an average of 30 seconds before moving into the next room for your CDs to refresh that adds an extra 10 minutes to your mission.  People already complains that it takes 5 to 15 minutes already for a mission and you want to add 10 more?"

Yeah cus u can't go into another room with 750 shields and a 20 second cool-down right? The cool-downs do refresh while in combat you know, they don't stop if you are moving. They also refresh instantly after you cast them! so if i cast Iron skin on Rhino and it has a 30 seconds CD, while i clear a room the 30 seconds also refresh and it will probably take more than that to clear it. What a thing! 

"You also run the risk of severely limiting some useful combos that people are using, and making them more scared to use their abilities in a group.  The reason for this?  In the current system if a Rhino has 50 energy he can go iron skin, murder a group of enemies and if an ally goes down he can immediately go iron skin again and revive them.  With a CD system in place he might no longer be able to go iron skin and save his friend, causing his friend to bleed out and lose a revive.  In that situation what would be the benefit of using iron skin to kill the enemies?"

Yes, double Iron Skin is such a combo, it isn't just an spamable OP ability. I already made this exact point in my comment, why don't you take a gander?  "For example, if you are Rhino and you and your team are attacking a boss, you can't just spam iron skin and get close, it would actually be a better idea to keep it in case any of your team-mates is down, or you could go in close with iron skin and if a team-mate is down use your ultimate to have time to revive him. You won't feel punished either way. The way the game currently is, if you choose to use your ult instead of iron skin you will have -30 seconds of complete invulnerability, making it a pretty poor choice."

"The same can be applied to Loki's invisibility or decoy.  Instead of becoming a "Do I use this weaker ability or save up for my ultimate, or do I save my ultimate for the boss room" it becomes much more of a "Do I dare risk using this ability because my friend could go down and if he does then he's going to die..."

Yeah cus Loki only has one ability, he doesn't have 4. And your example don't make any sense, you could say the same for energy "do i dare risk using my abilities, consuming my energy to save a friend or do i not use them and save them for the boss".

I don't know how long Volt's speed is, but if it has 5 sec speed with 10 second cool-down what would be the problem? Also if i play excalibur and don't waste 25 energy on super jump, i will surely use it to escape when i am surrounded by infested or when i want to get to a higher vantage point. If you have CD you have no penalty for using super jump, if you have energy you have the penalty of costing the energy that you could use for other, more useful abilites.

"The final thing is that currently, if you have enough energy you can spam your abilities for a short time.  Mostly because you modded your frame for doing such a thing and should be rewarded for that.  Otherwise you're just weakening the overall power of skills like slash dash and shuriken by making you wait a few seconds between each one."

You always have energy to spam especially if you have energy siphon and remember that enemies and containers drop energy. With Rhino i spam Iron skin constantly after my shields deplete and i never ran out of energy. Never.

If your adding a higher cool-down and the abilities have a higher damage or utility, it will make for example slash-dash better actually, you won't have to use 2 to kill a grineer, Ash's Shuriken will kill from 1 hit and maybe even hit the guys like the Paris does. Also you won't be penalized for using other abilities like Nyx's Psychic Bolts instead of Chaos, but i have made this point already.

And if you add a high CD to abilities you will see the gameplay slow down quite a bit.

They tried a CD system before.  Everyone just waited outside of nearly every room for their CDs to refresh so they could go in and pop their abilities immediately.

With people already complaining about how long missions take think of how much longer it would take if everyone waits 30 to 60 seconds outside of every single room for their abilities to refresh.  They had medium length CDs before the energy system and maps took a lot longer to finish on average than they do now.

OFC everyone waited since the powers were as powerful as they are now. But, as i said, if they make a high cooldown but abilities more powerful when you are finished using one, you can use another while that one refreshes and the combat will be constant. Maybe there will be waiting on pluto solo missions, but other than that i really don't think so.

Edited by Story4

"If you make the abilities take a long time to recharge then you find the missions taking quite a bit longer and making some people annoyed with how long missions take at that point.  An example is take a 20 room mission.  If you have to wait an average of 30 seconds before moving into the next room for your CDs to refresh that adds an extra 10 minutes to your mission.  People already complains that it takes 5 to 15 minutes already for a mission and you want to add 10 more?"

Yeah cus u can't go into another room with 750 shields and a 20 second cool-down right? The cool-downs do refresh while in combat you know, they don't stop if you are moving. They also refresh instantly after you cast them! so if i cast Iron skin on Rhino and it has a 30 seconds CD, while i clear a room the 30 seconds also refresh and it will probably take more than that to clear it. What a thing! 

"You also run the risk of severely limiting some useful combos that people are using, and making them more scared to use their abilities in a group.  The reason for this?  In the current system if a Rhino has 50 energy he can go iron skin, murder a group of enemies and if an ally goes down he can immediately go iron skin again and revive them.  With a CD system in place he might no longer be able to go iron skin and save his friend, causing his friend to bleed out and lose a revive.  In that situation what would be the benefit of using iron skin to kill the enemies?"

Yes, double Iron Skin is such a combo, it isn't just an spamable OP ability. I already made this exact point in my comment, why don't you take a gander?  "For example, if you are Rhino and you and your team are attacking a boss, you can't just spam iron skin and get close, it would actually be a better idea to keep it in case any of your team-mates is down, or you could go in close with iron skin and if a team-mate is down use your ultimate to have time to revive him. You won't feel punished either way. The way the game currently is, if you choose to use your ult instead of iron skin you will have -30 seconds of complete invulnerability, making it a pretty poor choice."

"The same can be applied to Loki's invisibility or decoy.  Instead of becoming a "Do I use this weaker ability or save up for my ultimate, or do I save my ultimate for the boss room" it becomes much more of a "Do I dare risk using this ability because my friend could go down and if he does then he's going to die..."

Yeah cus Loki only has one ability, he doesn't have 4. And your example don't make any sense, you could say the same for energy "do i dare risk using my abilities, consuming my energy to save a friend or do i not use them and save them for the boss".

I don't know how long Volt's speed is, but if it has 5 sec speed with 10 second cool-down what would be the problem? Also if i play excalibur and don't waste 25 energy on super jump, i will surely use it to escape when i am surrounded by infested or when i want to get to a higher vantage point. If you have CD you have no penalty for using super jump, if you have energy you have the penalty of costing the energy that you could use for other, more useful abilites.

"The final thing is that currently, if you have enough energy you can spam your abilities for a short time.  Mostly because you modded your frame for doing such a thing and should be rewarded for that.  Otherwise you're just weakening the overall power of skills like slash dash and shuriken by making you wait a few seconds between each one."

You always have energy to spam especially if you have energy siphon and remember that enemies and containers drop energy. With Rhino i spam Iron skin constantly after my shields deplete and i never ran out of energy. Never.

If your adding a higher cool-down and the abilities have a higher damage or utility, it will make for example slash-dash better actually, you won't have to use 2 to kill a grineer, Ash's Shuriken will kill from 1 hit and maybe even hit the guys like the Paris does. Also you won't be penalized for using other abilities like Nyx's Psychic Bolts instead of Chaos, but i have made this point already.

1) I am going off of experience with the CD system that was in this game before.  And it caused people to wait outside of every room, why?  Because if they park their asses for 30 seconds they can go in, pop all of their abilities and their ult first thing.  What would be the benefit of not doing that that would make them run into the next room?  There isn't one and that's the point.  In the current system the benefit is: "I run into the next room and kill enemies and get energy orbs to use abilities faster than backtracking through 4 or 5 rooms for some".  Under the CD system there is no such benefit.

2) So that makes it where you are scared to use your more useful abilities and may never use them now because you hold onto them just in case an ally goes down.  How is that any different than the energy system?  Oh right, if you have damaging abilities you can just spam them left and right without worrying about when to use them or not...  which makes the damaging abilities far more powerful and useful under the CD system then the non-damaging support abilities.  Also what would you do with trinities energy vamp skill?  Make it affect CDs and make her far more powerful than she currently is against bosses?

3) I never said Loki has one ability.  A good Loki idea is to toss down Decoy's whenever the last one gets destroyed if you are fighting enemies like charges + ancients.  If you move that to a CD system suddenly you lose that ability.  Either that or he throws decoy, when that expires he goes invis, when that expires he throws decoy...repeat ad infitatum until the mission is finished.  That would make it even easier for him to troll through missions without a chance of being hurt.

4) Even with the CD system the abilities WERE NOT BETTER.  And by adding a CD system they wont automatically become so much more powerful than they currently are.  Also I play with Nyx's who use their Psychic bolts to catch enemies in cover.  If you get a headshot the shuriken usually does kill in one hit and can easily kill the enemy directly behind them as well.  Slash dash usually kills or very highly damages a large number of enemies at a single use.

And this is a good thing?

And this is a good thing?

No that is exactly my point. It was an argument against the energy system.

@ Tsunoki

1) and 2) i have already answered in the other comment, people waited for the abilities to CD because they were as powerful as they are now, which means that they were weak since you weren't able to spam them.

Trinity's ability is for the devs to decide, I'm not here to think about each and every ability, i can give some examples. And her energy vamp could be replace with an ability that lowers CD by 0.1 seconds for 10 damage. There you go. I didn't only say more damaging abilities, i also said utility abilites like Loki's decoy. And you wouldn't spam them left and right, unless you are on a low-level planet, because you'll want to keep your ult for example when Grineer's arrive or when you are teleported by a commander in the middle of 10 grineers.

3)And what would be bad with making Loki's decoy, for example, last 10 seconds of complete invincibility with 20 sec cd instead of going down in 2 hits on high level planets? It would still be more useful. And only invisibility is currently good on high-level planets anyway, what would be the problem with using abilities one after another?

Also i don't understand that comment you made about loki and ability decision making, they seem to be the same for energy too.

4)What do you NOT UNDERSTAND! I DON'T GIVE A VITALITY MOD FOR THE OLD CD SYSTEM! I'm just saying how a CD could be implemented considering the current way abilities are and their flaws. The game changed since the old cd system, abilities changed enemies changed. What is so hard to understand that i'm only talking about a CD system considering the current way abilities are.

And since you can just spam abilities now, thinking logically, wouldn't an ability be more powerful on a 30 second cool-down than a 1 second one?

I don't know about excalibur, but try the other abilites on Pluto, they aren't even worth the mod capacity. On a low level planet even Rhino Charge is better than Nyx's Psychic bolts.

Edited by Story4

No that is exactly my point. It was an argument against the energy system.

@ Tsunoki

1) and 2) i have already answered in the other comment, people waited for the abilities to CD because they were as powerful as they are now, which means that they were weak since you weren't able to spam them.

Trinity's ability is for the devs to decide, I'm not here to think about each and every ability, i can give some examples. And her energy vamp could be replace with an ability that lowers CD by 0.1 seconds for 10 damage. There you go. I didn't only say more damaging abilities, i also said utility abilites like Loki's decoy. And you wouldn't spam them left and right, unless you are on a low-level planet, because you'll want to keep your ult for example when Grineer's arrive or when you are teleported by a commander in the middle of 10 grineers.

3)And what would be bad with making Loki's decoy, for example, last 10 seconds of complete invincibility with 20 sec cd instead of going down in 2 hits on high level planets? It would still be more useful. And only invisibility is currently good on high-level planets anyway, what would be the problem with using abilities one after another?

Also i don't understand that comment you made about loki and ability decision making, they seem to be the same for energy too.

4)What do you NOT UNDERSTAND! I DON'T GIVE A VITALITY MOD FOR THE OLD CD SYSTEM! I'm just saying how a CD could be implemented considering the current way abilities are and their flaws. The game changed since the old cd system, abilities changed enemies changed. What is so hard to understand that i'm only talking about a CD system considering the current way abilities are.

And since you can just spam abilities now, thinking logically, wouldn't an ability be more powerful on a 30 second cool-down than a 1 second one?

I don't know about excalibur, but try the other abilites on Pluto, they aren't even worth the mod capacity. On a low level planet even Rhino Charge is better than Nyx's Psychic bolts.

1) and 2) So, how would you balance making all of the abilities so much more powerful in such a way that people wont go: "Hmm, I park my butt out here for XX seconds and my powerful abilities all recharge..." that gives more incentive to wait if the abilities are so much more powerful.

3) Right now Loki can run out of energy chaining the abilities like that.  In the CD system that you are proposing he could chain endlessly and never worry about anyone even noticing him.  In the current system he can do that for a short time but not indefinately.

And you run a huge difference in power between the utility powers and the damaging ones, more so than currently.

4) Longer cooldowns =/= more powerful abilities.  That's an ASSUMPTION, not a fact.  And you know that they say "When you make an assumption you make an a** out of you..."

1) and 2) So, how would you balance making all of the abilities so much more powerful in such a way that people wont go: "Hmm, I park my butt out here for XX seconds and my powerful abilities all recharge..." that gives more incentive to wait if the abilities are so much more powerful.

3) Right now Loki can run out of energy chaining the abilities like that.  In the CD system that you are proposing he could chain endlessly and never worry about anyone even noticing him.  In the current system he can do that for a short time but not indefinately.

And you run a huge difference in power between the utility powers and the damaging ones, more so than currently.

4) Longer cooldowns =/= more powerful abilities.  That's an ASSUMPTION, not a fact.  And you know that they say "When you make an assumption you make an a** out of you..."

1 and 2: abilities already aren't balanced, people go "why should i use shockwave,rhino charge or ult when i can just use iron skin all day?" I have rhino and when i have played him i have never ran out of energy when i only used iron skin. And as i have said a ton of times, instead of waiting for CD you go back and search for energy orbs, how is that not wasting the same amount of time?

3: Until Loki depletes all his energy he would already killed all the enemies. The he can go at the energy orbs that they dropped and destroy containers to replenish his energy. With energy siphon he can also wait to replenish your energy by waiting. The only times i got my energy depleted was when i was credit farming and went invisible + speed to reach the objective and that only happened a couple of times, most of the time i had 100+ energy left out of 225 at the end of the level (4000 credits in 3-4 minutes yey!).

4: It is not an assumption. It's like saying that you don't know if an 1.000.000 $ car is better than a second-hand 200$ one. I mean you can put an 1.000.000$ price tag on a 200$ one, but that doesn't mean that logically the expensive car shouldn't be better. Also who would buy it?

Kinda like your example. Yes after all it is an assumption, but it's an assumption based on logical thinking, who would play the game if abilites were as powerful with a 30 second cd? Currently abilites have no cd, so if you put a cd logically you would increase their power unless you made enemies much weaker, but that would also increase the ability's power.

Edited by Story4

@Story4
Essentially you just want to god mode through missions without having to worry about energy management or anything like that and just spam abilities with zero repercussions for saving any of your energy.  Basically an easier mode than there already is.
Because in the end that's all your system boils down to.
Plus, please enlighten me how you would make some abilities powerful/useful enough to waste mode points on?  That's a bigger question.  Even if super jump was free and infinitely spammable why would I want to waste points on that when I could get better survivability or a faster CD under your system?  It doesn't cause me to suddenly want to equip abilities like that.

Also what's the fun of maxing out CD refresh speed, through mods or artifacts such as what would have to replace energy siphon and continuity, as well as decreasing overall CD length, through mods that would replace flow, and then going: "Every ~20 seconds Im dropping a nuke in every room!"  It would become a boring ability spam fest at that point.
True, there are things that they can definitely improve on in the current system.  But I honestly don't think moving to a CD system would fix anything in the long run.

As much as people don't like it, implementing a cooldown system would probably make balancing the abilities a hell of a lot easier for DE. A current issue is skills can be spammed multiple times over, making many areas a complete cake walk.

The only other option I can think of for balancing the skills is to alter their energy costs. Skills such as Mag's Pull are certainly not worth 25 energy, that should be similar in energy cost to Super Jump in my eyes.

I'd like a cooldown system. Perhaps the energy orbs simply quicken your cooldowns by a few seconds? This also adds the ability to have mods that affect your cooldowns.

Consider this: What if ice levels simply slow down your ability cooldown rather than halve your shields?

If that is all you understood from all my posts then i am really sorry for you, because you just seem to have something personal with me.

I said in my first post higher CD and better abilities because then you would have to think about what abilities to use. The repercussion is that if you use the wrong ability you can't use it again and you can die or not save an ally from dying if you do so.

Why would you waste points on super jump? Because it allows you to escape when your surround by crawlers and your slash dash and radial blind are on cd and you keep your ult for the ancients/boss. Or to get to a vantage point and snipe the enemy. Or just for the fun. Since it should be on a low cd why not? i agree that it would be no point to level it up, i don't know how much capacity it takes but i think that for 2 points it's not that big of a deal when it could save you.

Do you really think that devs or anyone in their right mind would make an ult with a 20 sec cd after all the mods? Now who's making the assumptions:"When you make an assumption you make an a** out of you...".

It's already a boring spam fest. Rhino only has to use Iron skin, Loki's invisibility is his only useful ability on later levels, Ember's only good ability is fire blast which is only good against infested, Nyx only uses Chaos, Excalibur uses Slash Dash 90% of the time etc. How is this not a spam-fest? 

I think that your just trying to reject the fact that the current system is a lot more flawed.

Edited by Story4

I'd like a cooldown system. Perhaps the energy orbs simply quicken your cooldowns by a few seconds? This also adds the ability to have mods that affect your cooldowns.

Consider this: What if ice levels simply slow down your ability cooldown rather than halve your shields?

I wouldn't have a problem with my shield being lowered if the enemy had lower shield or moved slower!

Or at least trip on the ice so i can have a laugh...

@Jessica Yes i agree, "no,just no" was the most compelling argument i have ever heard. Energy is 10 times better than cool-down.

[/sarcasm]

@Indaroh Maybe something like Dishonored could be done? If you use an ability that costs 25 energy, the 25 energy will quickly regenerate if you don't use anything else in the mean-time. Or at least make less orbs but 25-50 energy will regenerate after each ability used?

Edited by Story4

@story4 Lol I didn't realize there was a need for an argument on my part? Isn't that your job? To argue against the currently implemented system that the devs have chosen? [/laughingatyou]

Edited by JessicaAlba

@Story4
I have given examples where a CD system has already failed in this game.  Please give a list of reasons definitvely of:
1) How you would balance abilities
2) How you would limit waiting outside of a room for 60 seconds for your ults to recharge
3) How you would balance ability powers with CD durations.

So far I have given examples of how it would make too many things weaker and you keep on saying "It'll only be logical to increase their power with a long CD."  Please enlighten me on how you would do that in the game to make the abilities more powerful and yet balanced against a long CD.

@story4 Lol I didn't realize there was a need for an argument on my part? Isn't that your job? To argue against the currently implemented system that the devs have chosen? [/laughingatyou]

If the system is faulty why not? The game is in beta. Beta is for feedback. If any of my arguing will make the game even the slightest bit better i will be satisfied. The guys who are complacent with the game are the ones who are actually making it worse, because if you don't give constructive feedback nothing will ever improve and the game will remain the same unbalanced mush of abilities that it currently is. Beta testers provide feed-back and devs decide if it's good, if it's not good or if it's somewhere in between. No one can force them to do anything, but why not improve the game if you can?

I know that the cool-down has it's flaws, but they are way less than the current flaws of the energy system. I actually like debating (maybe a little too much) but i hate fighting windmills.

What about using a 'heat' mechanic.

Each ability you use adds heat to the frame. Use too many of them in quick succession and you overheat, which does some bad things and renders your abilities unusable for a time period.

Heat goes down naturally, but moving fast helps your frame cool down faster (thanks to the air flow).