Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hybrid Cool Down Energy System

Tsukinoki

There have been more posts recently of wanting to move Warframe away from the energy system that it currently uses and towards a CD system.

The issue with a CD system is that was tried before at the beginning of CBT and DE decided to move to the energy system because it slowed down gameplay too much.  After all, why run into the next room when you could just hang out at the door for 30 seconds to a minute and have all of your CDs refresh.  I think most people would agree that avoiding that would be preferable.

Now, there are issues with the current energy system.  Namely that most people only use one or two abilities from their frames and nothing else because they don't want to 'waste' energy on an inferior ability, such as why do Rhino Charge when you can use Iron Skin?  Or why use Radial Blind when you can use Slash Dash?

There are problems with both systems but I think that they can be addressed by making a hybrid CD/Energy system.

Let me explain what it would look like.
Take Excaliburs Slash Dash.  In the theoretical system it would have a 5-10 second CD and a 25 energy cost.  What does that mean?  Every 5 seconds you could cast the ability for free.  If you want to cast it during its CD it'll cost you 25 energy and reset the CD to 5 seconds.

This allows DE and us to keep Flow and Streamline mods as they are, it also makes using the lesser used abilities more worthwhile.  Afterall, if the player can use Rhino charge for free with say a 15-20 second CD then why wouldn't he start to make use of that ability?  If he wants to use it quickly he still can but it'll cost him energy.

This will also allow people to make caster frames who can quickly set off chains of abilities and even spam some of them, while at the same time encouraging use of underused abilities.  Furthermore this avoids the issue of ruining current ability combos that are in game, and it does not add too much of an incentive to sit outside of each door waiting because you can still use the abilities when you need to, the CD just gets you a free use of your abilities every now and then.

The other issue that this hybrid system addresses is an energy dry spot, such as defense missions.  In those cases you can still use your abilities just on a CD instead of being able to spam them.

Edited by Tsukinoki

An interesting take on the energy debate. I kinda like this. 

Another suggestion on the energy system I saw elsewhere (wish I could remember who so as to give credit) was that each skill have their own pool of energy.

Although after some thought I think your idea could potentially be implemented easier.

I am trying to bring together the best of the two systems.

Here are the points against CDs:
-They slow down gameplay.  Afterall, why go into the next room until all of your CDs are refreshed
-They limit ability usage in situations whee abilities are more crucial
-They prevent the *easy* making of a caster frame which can do multiple casts of the same powerful abilities in a row without pausing.
-They *force* you to use abilities you dont want to because the one you do want to use is on CD.

Here are the points for CDs:
-They make the lesser used abilities more attractive, after all why not use super jump if its going to be free to use when CD refreshes? (ignoring the question of: why spend mod points to slot super jump in the first point)
-They remove the RNG of not getting power orbs, or alternatively being flooded with power obs
-They can be more easily changed for balancing purposes (ignoring the question of why energy costs cant be changed)

Ok, now lets look at the points against energy:
-Its too RNG dependant.  Either you get a ton of energy or you could get little to none.
-Some abilities, such as super jump, aren't worth wasting energy on, or alternatively, some abilities are so useful why spend energy on anything else
-Its not modern/newer games use CDs not energy (yes I have heard this argument a few times on these forums)

Now for the points for energy
-They allow you to use the same ability quickly, multiple times, if you have the energy to do so.  This rewards people who try to build caster frames in the current system
-If you have enough energy you wont be punished by popping an ability early because you can just pop it again immediately after it ends if you need to
-It is an incentive to move forwards and kill enemies because killing enemies usually equals more orbs which equals more abilities.

Now lets look at what a hybrid system has FOR it:
-They allow you to use the same ability quickly and multiple times in a row if you have the energy to do so
-If you have enough energy you wont be punished by popping an ability early because you can just pop it again immediately after it ends if you need to
-It is an incentive to move forwards and kill enemies because killing enemies usually equals more orbs which equals more abilities.
-They limit the effects of the RNG of not getting power orbs, or alternatively being flooded with power obs, because even if you dont find any orbs you can just wait for the CDs to refresh and still use your powers regardless of luck
-They make the lesser used abilities more attractive.  If I can cast super jump every 5 seconds for free, why wouldn't I?

-They make *situational* powers more attractive.  If I am in a situation that makes Mag's shield polarize an attractive option I can cast it ONCE without worrying about cost and then the CD goes into effect so I have to wait before casting it for free again.  I used a rarely used, highly situational, power without 'wasting' energy that could be better spent on crush.

Now lets look at some of the points against it(and I know I am missing a few here):
-They have the incentive of waiting around until CDs refresh.  though it isn't as high as a straight CD system its still there.
-If the RNG hates you and is not giving you any power orbs its no different than a CD system.  But its still better than having no abilities at all in the current energy system

All in all, at least in my opinion, the hybrid system offers a lot of advantages that both sides want from their systems, while at the same time avoiding a lot of the downsides.  It has the option of spamming abilities if you saved your energy and modded for maximum energy, but it also gives the freedom of using underused/powered/valued abilities because every X seconds its free.

Edited by Tsukinoki

Holy wall of text batman. I jest, that is a well thought out breakdown of what you see as detractors and attractors from the previous, current and suggested system.

I have a tendency to hoard my energy because rng hates me, so a system that gives me the option to use more powers without a "oh snap I dun used my power too early now I'm in trouble" moment rearing it's ugly head would make a real difference.

You have acquired a +1