Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Petition To Remove Frame And Weapon Slot Limits Or Offer A Free Way To Get Them

BigJim1321

I feel the frame slots are not a cosmetic item and severely limit free players like myself, and I have seen a large number of people saying the same thing on steam and other circles.

The idea of deleting one of my level 30 frames or weapons every time I want to try a new one OR making a new account is very distasteful. 

at the very least they should add a credit price for the slots going by the average plat to credits rate.

30-50k per frame slot

10-20k per weapon slot

honestly I filled both my weapon and frame slots in 4 days... not alot of replay value with level 30 gears and no room for new items.

1. Inventory slots actually literally take up the limited server space. This is one reason why they ask you to pay for them (two weapon slots costs less than a dollar by themselves. That's really not alot of money, whereas I've seen other F2P games force you to pay far, far more.)

2. We can obtain literally every weapon and frame in the game for free. There must be some way to limit this - the only other way being to make some weapons cost real money. I don't think anyone would want that.

3. There are already plans on giving free slots per overall rank up. It hasn't been implemented yet, however, and we haven't heard much on the subject in awhile.

DE_Steve talked about there being slots earned with mastery ranks sometime in the future in a Q&A after one of the live streams.  Haven't heard any news about it since then.

3. There are already plans on giving free slots per overall rank up. It hasn't been implemented yet, however, and we haven't heard much on the subject in awhile.

My (admittedly limited) understanding is that something about the way mastery ranks are currently set up makes that difficult, but as you guys said they're definitely interested in such a system. The number I've heard suggested and which seems reasonable is a slot every two ranks or somewhere in that neighborhood.

Obviously they're focusing pretty heavily on U8 right now, but I'd honestly be pretty surprised if we didn't get some sort of reward-for-mastery-ranks system. It just makes sense.

1. Inventory slots actually literally take up the limited server space. This is one reason why they ask you to pay for them (two weapon slots costs less than a dollar by themselves. That's really not alot of money, whereas I've seen other F2P games force you to pay far, far more.)

2. We can obtain literally every weapon and frame in the game for free. There must be some way to limit this - the only other way being to make some weapons cost real money. I don't think anyone would want that.

If server space was actually such a concern in regards to slots, I doubt we'd have unlimited storage for mats, BPs, mods etc. etc.

Edited by Aggh

honestly I filled both my weapon and frame slots in 4 days... not alot of replay value with level 30 gears and no room for new items.

Sigh if you played that much didn't you already get a good 5 bucks worth of entertainment out of the game?

Slots per rank up is just not cool. If they were faster then ok, but you have to spend a ton of game-time to gain them, i am almost at 150 hours and i am almost at rank 6. And ranks get harder and harder to get each time you level up. Also in time more and more warframes and weapons will appear so you will need more and more slots, limiting F2P players too much.

Honestly, if DE has limited server space and they can't allow players to have to many warframes, here's my proposal. Allow each player to have half the number of slots for warframes and weapons (e.g. now we have 12 warframes so each player gets 6 slots). Over time, when more warframes are added, add one more slot for every 2 warframes and/or 2 weapons for free. Also if you sell a warframe you should be able to get it back, leveled up, with either spending 300.000 credits (or something similar) or with 100.000 credits and resources.

This way a free player can't get everything in the game at one time, but if he regrets selling a warframe and wants it back he can acquire it faster and not grind the bosses until the random drop gives him all the blueprints. Also the waiting time for crafting a warframe should be faster, like 1 day instead on 3 days.

It will make F2P players feel the disadvantage of slots much less, but it will still be there and if the slots aren't enough then you could always buy more.

Slots per rank up is just not cool. If they were faster then ok, but you have to spend a ton of game-time to gain them, i am almost at 150 hours and i am almost at rank 6. And ranks get harder and harder to get each time you level up. Also in time more and more warframes and weapons will appear so you will need more and more slots, limiting F2P players too much.

Honestly, if DE has limited server space and they can't allow players to have to many warframes, here's my proposal. Allow each player to have half the number of slots for warframes and weapons (e.g. now we have 12 warframes so each player gets 6 slots). Over time, when more warframes are added, add one more slot for every 2 warframes and/or 2 weapons for free. Also if you sell a warframe you should be able to get it back, leveled up, with either spending 300.000 credits (or something similar) or with 100.000 credits and resources.

This way a free player can't get everything in the game at one time, but if he regrets selling a warframe and wants it back he can acquire it faster and not grind the bosses until the random drop gives him all the blueprints. Also the waiting time for crafting a warframe should be faster, like 1 day instead on 3 days.

It will make F2P players feel the disadvantage of slots much less, but it will still be there and if the slots aren't enough then you could always buy more.

Although you propose a solid solution argued well, the fact is if f2p players dont feel at some sort of disadvantage they have no incentive to pay for in game cash. Sure you have certain customizations plat only, but most people can live without that. Without a disadvantage for being f2p, no matter how small as it is now, you have a poor business model.

I feel the frame slots are not a cosmetic item and severely limit free players like myself, and I have seen a large number of people saying the same thing on steam and other circles.

The idea of deleting one of my level 30 frames or weapons every time I want to try a new one OR making a new account is very distasteful. 

at the very least they should add a credit price for the slots going by the average plat to credits rate.

30-50k per frame slot

10-20k per weapon slot

50k for frame slot?

20k for weapon slot?

Make it 1000000 creds for a frame and 500000 for a weapon.

It's a credit rain out there dude.

If server space was actually such a concern in regards to slots, I doubt we'd have unlimited storage for mats, BPs, mods etc. etc.

The amount of data each slot has to take into account is astronomically higher than what a material slot has to take up.

With mats, it's basically "number = x". Same with BPs and such. Mods are a little trickier because you've gotta keep track of levels in addition to numbers, but we're still not talking about major server costs.

With slots though, it's a lot worse. Say you've got a level 30 rhino with all the trimmings. Potato, powers, maxed out flow mod, the works. Now you have to keep track of the rhino's level, what mods it has equipped and in what order, whether it's potato'd or not, and this on top of its coloration.

It's a whole lot more data to take into account. So I fully understand why they charge for slots.

Although you propose a solid solution argued well, the fact is if f2p players dont feel at some sort of disadvantage they have no incentive to pay for in game cash. Sure you have certain customizations plat only, but most people can live without that. Without a disadvantage for being f2p, no matter how small as it is now, you have a poor business model.

Actually no, if F2P players feel at a disadvantage they will actually quit your game, because they don't feel like they have a chance against people who play.

If your argument was true then most F2P games would sell power to make the F2P gamer feel at a disadvantage in order to make him pay.

In reality it's the other way around, if you make the F2P player feel like he has a disadvantage he will most likely quit your game and play something else, which gives him equal footing to paying players.

A lot of players will do that, especially with the recent rise in F2P games that offer equality, like for example Blacklight Retribution.

Also vanity items being purchasable only with money is actually a valid way to make an F2P game, there are numerous examples like Dota 2, League of Legends and TF2. In all of them you can get every advantage a paying player has and a F2P player has no disadvantage over a paying one.

With the slots that i proposed, it would make a F2P player not feel like he has a too big of a disadvantage over a paying player and if he ever sells a warframe or weapon that he regrets, he knows that all his time spent grinding for the weapon the first time would not have been in vane because he can get it easier afterwards.

And just as an afterthought, League of Legends probably had less players when it went open beta or even when it was released (i was there) than Warframe currently has, but it succeded because it had a good F2P model. In comparison, in the future it will lose some players because champions are many and getting them will turn very tedious and you can't even pay a large sum to get them all. Dota 2 will actually profit from this, because players have all the characters unlocked from the get-go and you only pay for skins or similar items (different announcers are actually quite cool). If i were to start one right now from scratch it would definetly be Dota 2, because i wouldn't want to grind 1000 hours just to get all the heroes in LoL.

Edited by Story4

Actually no, if F2P players feel at a disadvantage they will actually quit your game, because they don't feel like they have a chance against people who play.

If your argument was true then most F2P games would sell power to make the F2P gamer feel at a disadvantage in order to make him pay.

In reality it's the other way around, if you make the F2P player feel like he has a disadvantage he will most likely quit your game and play something else, which gives him equal footing to paying players.

A lot of players will do that, especially with the recent rise in F2P games that offer equality, like for example Blacklight Retribution.

Also vanity items being purchasable only with money is actually a valid way to make an F2P game, there are numerous examples like Dota 2, League of Legends and TF2. In all of them you can get every advantage a paying player has and a F2P player has no disadvantage over a paying one.

With the slots that i proposed, it would make a F2P player not feel like he has a too big of a disadvantage over a paying player and if he ever sells a warframe or weapon that he regrets after, he knows that all his time spent grinding for the weapon the first time would not have been in vane because he can get it easier afterwards.

And just as an afterthought, League of Legends probably had less players when it went open beta or even when it was released (i was there) than Warframe currently has, but it succeded because it had a good F2P model. In comparison, in the future it will lose some players because champions are many and getting them will turn very tedious and you can't even pay a large sum to get them all. Dota 2 will actually profit from this, because players have all the characters unlocked from the get-go and you only pay for skins or similar items (different announcers are actually quite cool). If i were to start one right now from scratch it would definetly be Dota 2, because i wouldn't want to grind 1000 hours just to get all the heroes in LoL.

Basically are you saying that F2P are cowards because they just quit?

I only made my second frame at Rank 3, and no one needs to be a founder 75 plat it's more then enough from let's say.. 3-3 months.

I only made my second frame at Rank 3, and no one needs to be a founder 75 plat it's more then enough from let's say.. 3-3 months.

Oh let's say even better...

Do you smoke?

Quit smoking for a month and there you go, money for your plat (:

If your argument was true then most F2P games would sell power to make the F2P gamer feel at a disadvantaged in order to make him pay.

With the slots that i proposed, it would make a F2P player not feel like he has a too big of a disadvantage over a paying player and if he ever sells a warframe or weapon that he regrets, he knows that all his time spent grinding for the weapon the first time would not have been in vane because he can get it easier afterwards.

Im on my phone right now so dont have the thumb power to write a lengthy post, lets just agree to disagree on the f2p model for now.

I would argue that the reason the LoL took off so well is ALSO (not solely) due to the almost never ending PVP. Although I prefer PvE, without endgame or items to work towards with constant updates, the game effectively has a limited lifetime. Whereas a stable PvP model can effectively have an indefinite lifetime due to nature of PvP, games such as COD which churn out the same trash year on year capitalise on this. To clarify on not comparing COD to any other game, I'm sick of that piss poor money grabbing attempt at a game.

30-50k per frame slot

10-20k per weapon slot

It's a good idea, but 30-50 and  10-20k it's ridiculous.

If they decide to add this, (what would be great) they should put like 250.000 credits per slot.

Today I earnt 102.000k credits, only doing defense

offer a free way to get them for sure, i mean i've already got pretty much all the warframe slots or weapon slots i'd ever need in this games current state but... they should be available for free, maybe hard to get but still free.

90% of all F2P games restrict character slots for free players.

From AOC over DDO through LOTRO to STO, all of them have 2-3 slots for characters.

Warframes are essentially characters.

But DE is merciful, so with every Warframe purchase you get a slot free.

That's what was stated awhile back by either DE_Steve or DE_Rebecca, so *shrugs* I'm just sayin' what they had said.

offer a free way to get them for sure, i mean i've already got pretty much all the warframe slots or weapon slots i'd ever need in this games current state but... they should be available for free, maybe hard to get but still free.

We frankly have enough things for free, imo.

Edited by SoulEchelon

The amount of data each slot has to take into account is astronomically higher than what a material slot has to take up.

With mats, it's basically "number = x". Same with BPs and such. Mods are a little trickier because you've gotta keep track of levels in addition to numbers, but we're still not talking about major server costs.

With slots though, it's a lot worse. Say you've got a level 30 rhino with all the trimmings. Potato, powers, maxed out flow mod, the works. Now you have to keep track of the rhino's level, what mods it has equipped and in what order, whether it's potato'd or not, and this on top of its coloration.

It's a whole lot more data to take into account. So I fully understand why they charge for slots.

It's negligible in the long run compared to an unlimited number of individual crafted warframe parts  (they don't stack) that I could make if I wanted to.   It's assumption on your part that it takes any kind of significant resources to track that anyways.

I'm not saying that F2P players are cowards, I'm just saying that they will go play the game which serves them better. If they feel limited or at a disadvantage they will probably try it at the beginning, but in the end they will quit and go to the one that offers them a better gaming experience. And why shouldn't they? It's all free after all.

I never smoke and i never will, but i will also not support a F2P model that offers more advantages to paying players. And 75 platinum will only get you 3 WF slots, after a year if there are at least 20 WF 3 slots won't even matter that much. Which is another good point, a F2P game should not expect to make money instantly, but over time. You shouldn't make a F2P player pay after he just played your game for a week, you need to make him love the game and expect him to pay just because he really likes it.

I payed for some skins in LoL not because i had to, but because i wanted to show my support to the developer, to repay him for a good F2P game and for the time that i have spent, only paying after 1 year.

Since in this game, for now, the only thing to do is farm, limiting players with slots actually makes them play less and in return make them like the game less. How long do you think someone will continue playing after he filled all his 4 WF slots? Maybe another week, maybe a little more, but in no case 1 year.

If slots were free or easy to acquire, farming for all the weapons and mods will easily take 200+ hours and in the mean-time devs will add more warframes and more weapons, maybe even challenges or other stuff that they can keep a gamer more time. If even after all that time a player hasn't payed for the game, then he never would have anyway.

@TunaMayo LoL didn't took off only because of PvP, it took off because of it's good model and because it was accessible. Why aren't any of my friends playing Warframe, but most of them are playing LoL? If i didn't play as a free player, none of them would have played and in consequence none of them would have payed.

Also if PvE is implemented good with challenges, hardcore modes, leader boards do you think that players wouldn't like to play them? We actually bought some strategy games because we enjoy a good challenge on Lan vs the computer. Mmmm Lan parties...