Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Origin Stories: The First Of Them (Ch. 58: "Broken" Update)

ROSING

ROSING, don't fall into the trap of losing focus on the characters and fixating on the relationships. You aren't doing it yet but I can see the danger signs starting to show. For example I know the relationship between Miyoko and Hayden, but I don't know Miyoko nearly as well as the newer characters or the others.

She likes Hayden, but what else? What are her fears? We don't know anything. She seems like the token shy character from your generic anime, and although people will think I'm running my mouth off too much and too early I urge you to read through it and see for yourself.

Your characters are too young yet to be negatively affected by this and can turn out fine but you have to take care.

It was a fun chapter but I hope you'll consider what I have to say carefully and be able to make your own choice regarding the direction of the story.

Noted, thanks for the advice, Evan!

I was wondering..

How (if at all) are you planning on explaining/ introducing Desecrate?

I have a few ideas; let me know what you think of them when they come out!

• 2 weeks later...

It just popped into my head, but are the ability augments going to come into play in this story?

I dunno...I've entertained the thought, and mods in general, but I feel I have a long way to go before I get there.

At any rate, might as well break it now that Origin Stories will be on a short hiatus of an unspecified length not to exceed three weeks due to that pleasant thing we all call finals. I am working on a story for my fiction class that I have been juggling alongside this story for the past few months, so to put it in MOBA terms I'm going to focus that one until I have enough xp to take on this one. The good news is over the break I'll be away from my rig :'( so I can spend pretty much most of my free time on the story instead of gaming. Until then, uhhh...I don't have one of those classy farewell things all those internet people have, so uhhh...until then, don't forget me!

I dunno...I've entertained the thought, and mods in general, but I feel I have a long way to go before I get there.

At any rate, might as well break it now that Origin Stories will be on a short hiatus of an unspecified length not to exceed three weeks due to that pleasant thing we all call finals. I am working on a story for my fiction class that I have been juggling alongside this story for the past few months, so to put it in MOBA terms I'm going to focus that one until I have enough xp to take on this one. The good news is over the break I'll be away from my rig :'( so I can spend pretty much most of my free time on the story instead of gaming. Until then, uhhh...I don't have one of those classy farewell things all those internet people have, so uhhh...until then, don't forget me!

I'll never forget you Rilla

Well, I woke up from the Second Dream today.

And well, if you've played it, you know that pretty much all of this ain't canon.

And I suppose I wasn't expecting it to. But still, it's rather odd that the story that I had developed in my mind and maybe even in the minds of you guys is another dream unto itself.

I'll be straight with you, growing up I had a strange aversion to fan-fiction and anything non-canon. I had this notion that the original artist needed to be respected for the world they created. Working on Origin Stories was a loophole, in that there was no real lore as of yet and except for a few, all of the characters were of my own creation. But over the course of this story and as the clues drew us further and further away from this falsified dream, I wondered what would happen when the real lore finally came to light. Would this stop suddenly, like waking up from a half-finished adventure?

I feel that would be a bad end to something that has become my own story, even though it was born out of somebody else's. Thus, I will continue with this story. It will be admittedly a strange feeling for me, but I realize that I have an obligation to myself and this Origin Story to guide it to its rightful end. So, when the hiatus is over, expect this to continue as usual.

For whatever reason, I just wanted to say that all. Enjoy yourselves out there, and DO THAT QUEST IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY!!

• 1 month later...

Well.

I could make a long philosophical and long-winded excuse, but I've just let this slip. I actually was just starting to come back to this piece a few days before your posts, I swear. I just didn't make the time I should have and I need to come back. All I'm going to say is that if you have a hobby, don't give it up to do career things. Doing the hobby is how you do the career things and stay sane.

I also have been reading over this piece, especially the third season, and I've realized that the quality has slipped; I didn't put in the time I needed to think everything through and now there's a risk that I'm heading towards several gaping plotholes/unexplained developments.

In addition, I suppose now is about the time I let you know the other thing I've been meaning to do with this piece; I've been going back and adding in sections to the first season. Although for avid Warframer players you all know what's going on, I want to challenge myself with worldbuilding and seeing how well I can explain things like the Sentient War, the Void, and others. In short, I want to make this story so that even someone who hasn't played Warframe before could follow along.

So with the rewriting/editting of both the 1st and 3rd season, things are going to move along slowly in terms of new stuff. But I will be working on this thing regularly now, I swear it. So, just to give deadlines for deadline's sake, I'll put out the newest chapter by next week; it was half finished around the time I started.

Also, somewhat ironically, this thread has past its 1st year anniversary. Hoorah.

Anyways, thanks for putting me back on track guys, hope to come out with decent quality stuff soon!

If you'll take my advice-

Do not change what has been written.

DO not.

Continue your lore-canon as you would have regardless of whatever happens to the Dev version. Treat it as an alternate Universe.

I say this, because from personal experience one you fall into the trap of rewriting your foundation you will almost never get out of the loop. It is never good enough and one day you just throw up your hands and walk away.

Just some advice.

If you'll take my advice-

Do not change what has been written.

DO not.

Continue your lore-canon as you would have regardless of whatever happens to the Dev version. Treat it as an alternate Universe.

I say this, because from personal experience one you fall into the trap of rewriting your foundation you will almost never get out of the loop. It is never good enough and one day you just throw up your hands and walk away.

Just some advice.

Oh I don't intend to change it to match the lore with canon-that's a lost cause.

I will just be adding a few clarifications staying true to the lore of this story. The first few chapters' changes are almost done, I'll show you what I mean.

Oh I don't intend to change it to match the lore with canon-that's a lost cause.

I will just be adding a few clarifications staying true to the lore of this story. The first few chapters' changes are almost done, I'll show you what I mean.

A pleasant sight, to see you back in the Fan Zone. We would have lost some good talent, had you left. Welcome back, and I look forward greatly to see what you've been working on, no matter how minor you think it may be.

It's terrible.

Absolutely terrible, what a mess.

I've been reading over and figuring out Season #3 and where to go from here, and as it stands, I can't. There's too much that I didn't put in before or didn't do well enough that I can't in good conscience put out another chapter carrying on Season #3 as it is. I really let this story down last semester, it seems, I didn't put in the amount of thinking that I did for the other two seasons.

So I'm going to be making a lot of changes to Season #3 and when that's all done and good then I'll release Chapter #35. Yeah I know that's gonna take long, but ya know what, screw all of yeh, I'm doing this for myself.

jk I appreciate all of your support. But I'm asking for your support and a bit more patience as I go through these changes. I hope and swear that when I'm done, the whole thing will be much better.

The good news is that the changes for season 1 are coming along nicely, and I just re-released chapters 1 and 2. Was a pain in the &#! too, because they broke the word limit on the first post and I had to manually scoot every bottom chapter down a post. Chapter 34 is now on Post 32. I've updated the table of contents, so everything should work out.

But anyway, give the first two chapters look if you want some improved nostalgia, I guess. Also let me know if they make sense and give me any criticism that occurs to you. My plan is to release this story on another non-warframe website and see if it works as a standalone story--that is, you don't have to know anything about Warframe to follow along. I need as much help as I can get on that, so if you got any friends who don't play but are into reading sci-fi stuff, I dunno, let them have a read.

That's all I got right now. Hope you're all having a great day.

Edited by ROSING

I fell into the same trap when I was writing TLS, not a fun experience. You often sit there and think either "what the hell was I thinking when writing this" or "why do I even bother, there's so much to edit". Terrible, as you said.

Just make the hiatus worthwhile. No use spending time rewriting something that was already good and making it worse.

• 4 weeks later...

Update time just in time to say that it hasn't been a month and that I'm taking too damn long! So I've basically remapped out season 3 in it's entirety, so what this means is that I will no longer be pulling plot out of my &#! and everything will happen for a reason now. What this also means is that a few sections of chapters have been added in and some have been removed. If you've noticed, almost the entirety of Season 3 has been removed, and the newly updated chapter 27 is now up for general enjoyment!

The changes to this chapter delve deeper into what happened to Roland during the accident and does more exposition on his character. Aside from that, the other changes are largely quality of life. 

Hope you enjoy. and many more to come! The update for chapter 28 will be up next week!

wow. just wow. i only found this yesterday, and i must say this is positively the best fan-written story i have ever read. i write this kind of stuff myself, and i would like to thank you for reinspireing me after a year of no writing. and i swear on my nonexistent life, i will murder you, go to hell, murder you again and bring you back to life afterward if you fail to finish this story or mess up and fail to write good chapters at some point in the story. but no, seriously. great story. keep it up at your own pace.